SC 400 Powerband loss

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

My car doesn't make immediate power if I was cruising at about 30 mph and suddenly punch the gas pedal all the way down. What happens is that the rpm goes all the way up to 6000 rpm but the power seems to stay almost the same. However, if I cruise at about 40 mph or above, then the power kicks in immediately. Does anyone know what causes that?

Also, when I raced with the new Scion TC coupe last night, I lost to him on the medium traffic. What happened was when I released the gas pedal for brake and then reached it again, the car doesn't seem to make power immediately. Is that because my car has an auto tranny or something else? I don't know what the guy had on that Scion, but he's freaking fast. I felt bad because I thought my car at least has some power over that Scion with 160 hp and around 2900 lbs. curb weight.

Any idea will be greatly appreciate.

i have an 96 sc400 ive noticed the same issue with my car what i believe the problem is it being a 4 spd auto at 30 mph the car doesnt downshift hard and feels like its making any power but if your rolling around 20mph and kick it youll feel the instant torque and hp and also at 60mph same results ive been doing some study on these cars and found out they got what is called torque management which means at wide open throttle the ecu retards the timing for a few seconds between shifts for a firmer shift by the ecu retarding the timing the motor quits making horsepower for a few seconds and feels flat between shifts

i have an 96 sc400 ive noticed the same issue with my car what i believe the problem is it being a 4 spd auto at 30 mph the car doesnt downshift hard and feels like its making any power but if your rolling around 20mph and kick it youll feel the instant torque and hp and also at 60mph same results ive been doing some study on these cars and found out they got what is called torque management which means at wide open throttle the ecu retards the timing for a few seconds between shifts for a firmer shift by the ecu retarding the timing the motor quits making horsepower for a few seconds and feels flat between shifts

Is this really true? That the 96 400 has torque management? I didn't realize this. I googled torque managment sc400 lexus and couldn't find anything.