retrofit lexus v8 engine into v drive boat

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mark55

Maybe some can help me with some Lexus V8 engine information.
I currently have a 540 Arias twin turbo engine in my vdrive boat,
It made 1800 hp on the dyno and has proved to be a vast overkill for what I need.

I am considering downsizing engines with a modern DOHC design like the lexus v8. I always heard that they were a real strong engine. I don't have any knowledge of the lexus engine. It looks like I can pick up a used one from a junkyard pretty reasonable.

Some factors that I would have to make work,
Change oil pickup to the other end of the oil pan as the engine will be in the boat backwards as compared to a car.
Lock out the variable cam timing as that won't be necessary for what I want to do.
Reverse the exhaust manifolds or make new stainless headers to accomodate one 75 mm turbo with T6 flange.
Adapt to the Powerglide trans that I use.

I want to make 1200 hp on E85 with the Lexus engine at about 20# boost.
What is the weak link ?
What is the most power anyone has made with one ?

Thanks for any input.

Mark
Rockford, Mi.

Gday Mark,

Hit up Fopar, he's made the most power reliably for a longtime in a aussie ford capri streetcar, approx 1100hp i think he's the man for all the info you need.

These guys in Australia make a bellousing to mate the 1UZ and a powerglide
http://www.dellowconversions.com.au/

pretty sure fopar uses the powerglide bellhousing in his 1UZ

cheers John

Mark I can't speak for the 1UZ in a boating application but here's some thoughts:

1. 20 psi boost is too high for the stock internals. It's a high compression engine, so you'll want a new set of lower compression, forged pistons.

2. The rods are the weak link in these engines - they're powdered metal forgings so you'll need some good aftermarket rods to make big power.

3. No one around here has made the power levels you're talking about, save Fopar. I don't think you'll get 1200 reliably out of the 1UZ in a boat, however. Remember it's only a little 4.0 liter motor, so it's less than half the displacement of that 540 in3 Hemi you're replacing, and I think you'd be doing very well to break into 4 digits at all with this engine.

While we all love our 1UZ's for what they are, I think your application would really be stretching their capabilities. You probably should be looking at a 5.0 or 6.0 liter or larger base engine as a starting point.

Unfortunately there aren't that many large displacement DOHC engines out there; have you looked at the Ford Coyote 5.0 liter? You might possibly be able to snag a Merc or BMW 6.0 liter V12 (early 5.0 liter BMW V12's are cheap junkyard finds but they're down on power and are EXPENSIVE to upgrade, be sure it's a later 6.0 V12 as the earlier ones like the M70 in my sig are SOHC with 2v chambers and the heads suck).

If you're not committed to a DOHC design, then the Chevy LSx is the platform you want for cheap 4 digit power.

Thanks for the replys.
I am considering the Ford 5 liter modular as well.

The engine I have now has worked well
but I want to get into something more advanced than a pushrod engine for a change.