Results of mods on SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
oh, and heads. that is no easy ordeal. All of the later heads are cop so you'd have to figure out a way to control that, you would need an intake manifold, plus your pistons would be designed for the later combustion chamber. And a host of other things i am not thinking off at the moment, like controlling vvt-i if you used the later 1uz. You'd probably be better off getting mild re-grinds and finding a respectable person that ports heads that knows what they are doing, and maybe have them por t match the intake manifold while they are at it.

No not at all...Just don't want to throw on a set of high performance cams and then be riding the nos and the engine fuel cuts off at high rpm's.... I could see that happening with the Kelford Cams...So I am a little gun shy....What do you think? I redline hard now under the nitrous at times....

Attachments

• 0104tur_lexusbrakes09_zoom.jpg
    0104tur_lexusbrakes09_zoom.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3
Wed. and Fri nights (look at weekly schedule) are test and tune from 5 till 9:30 for $20 car and driver. The elevation is high (2770ft.), but at the bottom of their site they give you elevation correction factors which are multiply your time by .97 and your mph by 1.03 or something and that is your corrected time. I'll be waiting on number next week, nah i'm playing, but am very curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, you guys really want to see some track times from me. I will do my best to make it over there maybe as soon as the weekend after next...

Hey guys, as I said before I am not trying to brag just sharing info, and my car is not anything super special. Hell, I still can't take a new standard Vette (although I maybe getting closer) I still will definetely get smoked by stock Vipers and turbo Porsche's all day long. However, for an older 1992 SC4 I do think it has got a little something, something going on under the hood...I do suprise a few people from time to time when racing... I am just eager to get tha car back on the road with these newly installed headers... I have not tried them out under the nos yet...If N/A is clearly faster with headers, I can't wait to see what they do for a nitrous run....

Just so you guys know, several guys on this forum will blow me away, Cowboy bebop, RDM, are just a few that come to mind..maybe even LEX in the quarter.... So don't get to excited for me and my ride...Just trying to do what I can with this old heap....

In conclusion - After driving in the Z06 Vette and seeing what it can do, and getting absolutely destroyed by an aftermarket suped up BMW last week, I really don't think my car will ever be as fast as I would like it to be...My goals for this car was to be able to edge out a new standard 400hp Vette, and or the AMG E55... I am not so sure I will ever see that happen either...but who knows? What I do know is that I am getting real close to running with those two cars now? However, the stock auto tranny will always be my crutch with this car.....

hey man, dont be worried by what your car does at the track, just go out and have fun, nobody on here will think less of you if you run a slow time, seriously. its all about having a good time

but yes, the tranny is the crutch of the car, but also its weight. If you want to go faster, you should consider a CF hood, and some nice aftermarket seats, theres about 150lbs to be had there minimum.

With the 1uz-fe SC400/LS400 motor, yes there is some potential but not too much with the stock pistons and rods being the weakest points...Oh and the stock transmission is the number one thing holding me back from making this SC4 of mine even faster...

Attachments

• HPIM0128.JPG
    HPIM0128.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 3
I went ahead and added some pics on page one to go along with the mod descriptions...Thought some viewers might want to see some of the results rather then just read about them.... THese two pic's below are of my high flowing electric Walbro fuel pump, and my hydro pump deletion and idler pulley..

Just to let you guys know I am still having trouble properly fitting in the S&S Headers on my SC4..... Just today in order to fit the headers with the rest of the exhaust system to perfection the two cats at the down pipes must be deleted and removed...which is just fine for performance but not for noise...Custom down pipes were made to fit and bolt up with the S&S Headers on my SC4..Not so easy at all to install after all is said and done.....My car has been at the exhaust shop for 5 days now and the exhaust alterations keep coming...No regrets the power will show up, but this mod is definetely not a bolt on mod, that is for sure.....

Will provide pics shortly showing all work and complete setup........

My exhaust will be headers, straight down pipes, two highflow resonators then the center magnaflow and Y's, 2.25 mandrel rear section with two more high flowing resonators then the Megan straight thru mufflers..Alot of work with these headers and noise...Roudy noise though, kinda reminds me of my older small block Chevy's I use to own and modify.....:mischievo

Ok Exhaust and header install is %100 complete....The S&S Headers are not made to fit in the SC400 period!!!!!!...In order to get it all in and fitted new custum made down pipes must be made. no way around it.....The stock down pipes consist mainly of the smaller cats which cannot be shortened, they must be removed....The new downpipes costed me $400 which I was not expecting...Very dissapointed in the fitment of these headers...... I am not so sure S&S Headers Inc..should even market these headers for the SC400's, and that is the honest truth...They bolt on fine to the 400 engine block but the rest of the exhaust fitment is not even close...Very dissapointed with the extra work needed to properly install and fit these headers...

The power gains with the deleted cats and S&S Headers is all topend power 3000rpms and up...Impressive and loud at full throttle, quiet as stock at idle almost... It sounds like a Camaro with the headers but a little louder...... I now have a hesitation or bog at launch as I believe the ECU needs to learn and adjust for the new exhaust. I am hoping thst is the culprit as I will drive and see if the ECU adjusts..... On a bright note the power is very impressive at high rpms and is clearly noticed.., I would say atleast 20 hp is gained easily but is only felt at 3000rpm and higher.... Hear are pic's as promised...

I did not have my camera when the car was on the racks so these are the best pics I got from the car being on the ground.....The headers are barely visible from top engine view but if you look close they shine and look nice... Some weight reduction with the lighter headers and deleted cats (maybe 10 to 15 pounds). Total cost of these headers is $1100 installed....OUCH!!!!!

Maybe a set of Tex headers or EKtunning headers would have been a better choice for my SC400.

Sniper thanks for the compliments...Headers and deleted cats really gave the car some pop at higher rpm's...I was just hammering it today, big difference and you can tell the car breathes effortlessly now.....pretty cool...

In reply to your question...What I would really like is a V160 Supra 6 speed tranny swap in my SC4, also why not throw in some forged internals with a one size larger engine bore. Continuing the wish list I wouldn't complain with a big arse supercharger..all putting out around 700hp or so would be oh so nice....:veryhappy

In all honesty I think I am done with this car and engine for building.....I got it maxed out for what it is...Any more mods such as mentioned above will surely break the bank $$$.... For now - The N/A power is way better then stock, infact night and day but it is still a tease at 215whp without nos. Spaying the nos my car pretty much hauls and is hard to beat on the streets of LA.....So all in all I'm klnda satisfied I guess...

John,

I'm happy for you that you finally got the headers installed. With the ECU tuned, you'll be pretty much in better shape without the NOS. And with the NOS, yes, your SC will be hard to be beaten on the streets of LA.

damn, expensive for 15-20hp, bt very nice. Well done sir. Maybe later you'll consider a mild set of reground cams is Lex comes up with them for a decent price like you said he was working on.