Request assistance 1uzfe, a340e, tailshaft to 95 Hiace diff

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

pjarcher

G'day Guys,

I'm writing a few lines to pick your brains. I'm putting together and old pickup, an 59 International AA110, these inters come in different sizes, from ute (750kg payload) to semi trailers. The chassis, drive train changed but the cab remained the same, I have the baby of the fleet, with a payload of 760 kg.

My plan is a custom resto with an updated drive train for reliability, performance and maintenance, hence I'm keeping the chassis and cab. The front end is an xj6 IFS, 94 Soarer 1uzfe and A340 auto and a Hiace diff fitted with an LSD centre.

I need some assistance with tailshafts and connections, I have a huge jap wrecker near by but I need to work out what I need and locally there is custom tailshaft manufactures, but they are expensive, if I could work with standard pants that would be ideal.

I need to run a two piece tailshaft, the total length is about 2m, the fron shaft needs to be about 750mm and the second 1250mm.

What is the best way to connect the A340e out of the Soarer to a 95 Hiace diff?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Pete

Pete,

I didn't read if you will need it but if you need a slip yoke conversion for that A340 I have a tailshaft and housing to convert it. I can't help you with the driveshaft info though.

Jake

I'd use a Hilux shaft adapted to length.

The front shaft I would cut to length and add the Soarer front donut to fit the trans.

The rear shaft may need lengthening/shortening to suit.

You can do you own length changes if your careful.

Google is full of articles on modding shafts.

Thankyou Gents.

Jake, the slip yoke modification is not totally necessary, but if it was logical to be able standard tailshafts it might be worth it.

Zuffen, that was my plan, but it always worth asking if there is a smarter/simpler way of solving the problem.

Looks like it is time for me to raid the wreckers.

Thankyou.

Pete

P.s. Progress photos to come once I've made more progress.

There are a few ways of doing it. You could use the original donut on the front shaft if you want but that will have to go to a centre bearing and uni or cv joint behind it with a uni on the diff. The donuts were for independent rear so diff didn't move. Unlike the Hi ace. In my 37 I modified the trans yoke to take Jag uni which goes to a commodore centre bearing and cv joint to the hi ace yoke. Lots of cutting and shutting and will need balancing when done but been in the car for over 100,000 MILES and no probs. Good luck and pics of the Inter would be good.

1uzfe to Hiace diff

Thanks gents for your input, a couple points, running a centre bearing is logical, the original pickups all ran a centre bearing, the front shaft will be 750mm long and the rear 1250ish. It looks like I'll need to get two custom drive shafts made to fit it together.

Attached as (I hope) a picture of the mocked up chassis, note the front end has been moved forward 150mm since this photo.

Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 11
And one more photo for an indication of what my ute will look like when finished, well not quite so rustic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 17