Project Daily - 1993 EB Wagon 1UZ Conversion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
An Update...

Finished all the plumbing yesterday, filled it full of fluid today, hooked up the battery...

IT RUNS!
veryhappy.gif

Touched the key and it burst to life... settled straight into a nice smooth idle..

A few things to finish off :

* Charge light is turning on even though its charging
* Water temp need connecting
* Oil presure light needs connecting
* Speedo needs connecting
* Tailshaft Needs making.. (Anybody know where I can buy a tailshaft coupling to suit the 3 fingered output shaft? A complete tailshaft would be fine as I can always modify it to fit)
* Gear selector needs modifying, and installing so I can get it out of park
* Radiator fans need wiring.. (Just waiting on them to arrive with the new radiator)
* Mounting the ECU & Cleaning up the wiring
* Put the car back together and finish the general roadworthy crap
* Install exaust system

But its getting there.. :)

I'm just soooooo happy it started straight away...
slaphappy.gif

Pics & hopefully a video to follow.. need to find a camera that doesn't distort from the volume thanks to no exaust system..
veryhappy.gif

LOOKING REALLY GOOD

i think everyones computer looks like that at one time, gee theres a lot of wires!
i have a few questions , if you dont mind?

Are you keeping the EA radiator? if so how did you sort out the hose size difference on lower hose, i am still trying to find a rasiator that fits straight in an XE falcon(no cutting)(mounts wont be an issue) that can have a factory twin thermo setup. I'm considering trying an AU radiator with EA end tank on drivers side if this can be done????

what raio is your diff? mine had 2.92 when i got it which is VERY TALL, i ended up with 3.45, which is readily avalable for your car from another falcon XR6 much better, i dont think it needs to be any higher ratio personally,

when do you think it will be running on the road? i hope mine will be going in 10 weeks?

what exhaust do you intend running?

have you seen the castlemaine auto electrics block hugger headers?, Jbrady said they would be good if a smaller primary pipe and smaller collecter size(Con(CAE) says the pipe size can be made smaller but they use a reducer on the flange on the collector)
thanks Dean (no rush on the answers)

looks fabo
like the mini radiator thing on the right there..

i just took my radiator into the shop today to be converted to 3 core
$460 later.. and its still there coz they need to remove the oil cooler coz its rooted :(

i need to work out some overflow bottle for mine thats not too bulky. and that looks newish. going custom makes things look better

agreed that the v8 in there looks factory.. if it didnt have a big toyota badge most cops wouldnt think twice that it wasnt.

i come across some dumn cops in my time.. pulled over a fair few times and no yellow sticker on my monster yet

having no strut towers in my car would make it a lot easier to put in my car than a falcon i guessin. coz the width @ heads is 700mm yeh ?

engine-install0.jpg

P100_Ute said:
looks fabo

having no strut towers in my car would make it a lot easier to put in my car than a falcon i guessin. coz the width @ heads is 700mm yeh ?

engine-install0.jpg

HEY TIM!
i havent seen any Ford CORTINA'S with Lexus motor Yet, Get into it and be the first
looks like your engine bay has the right shape?, it fits in an XF Falcon reasonably tight
Dean

SORRY for stealing the thread a bit Me3

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_12952.jpg
    IMG_12952.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 10
deankdx said:
LOOKING REALLY GOOD

i think everyones computer looks like that at one time, gee theres a lot of wires!
i have a few questions , if you dont mind?
No Problems...

deankdx said:
Are you keeping the EA radiator? if so how did you sort out the hose size difference on lower hose, i am still trying to find a rasiator that fits straight in an XE falcon(no cutting)(mounts wont be an issue) that can have a factory twin thermo setup. I'm considering trying an AU radiator with EA end tank on drivers side if this can be done????
Its a stock EB radiator (Well, i've ordered one with a bigger core..) and I have a twin 10" thermo fans that were for a EL/EF falcon (New as well)

The bottom hose is the stock falcon one, joined to some straight pipe to connect to the v8... The top hose is the stock bottom hose from the lexus cut, that has been trimmed.. (I will be putting a join in it with a after market temp gauge when I get time..)

deankdx said:
what raio is your diff? mine had 2.92 when i got it which is VERY TALL, i ended up with 3.45, which is readily avalable for your car from another falcon XR6 much better, i dont think it needs to be any higher ratio personally,
No idea.. whatever the stock auto had... I'll deal with that once its on the road...

deankdx said:
when do you think it will be running on the road? i hope mine will be going in 10 weeks?
what exhaust do you intend running?
I'll have it ready for the driveshaft to be worked out just after xmas...

I don't think the engine will have to come out again, so its time for final fitout once the new radiator & fans get here...

The exhaust.. no idea yet. Either twin 2" or 2.5" if I can afford it.. (And it will fit) came to mind.. but I will work that out once the driveshaft is in..

deankdx said:
have you seen the castlemaine auto electrics block hugger headers?, Jbrady said they would be good if a smaller primary pipe and smaller collecter size(Con(CAE) says the pipe size can be made smaller but they use a reducer on the flange on the collector)
Yea.. I looked at a heap of different options... modding the stock ones came to a total cost of $0, so I went that way... This has been a budget build so I'm trying to keep costs down..

Total cost so far:

Car - $400
Half Cut - $2400 Delivered
Engine Mounts - $70
Radiator & Fan - $400

and a few misc bits here and there that I didn't have lying around... I've been lucky enough to have access to all the workshop equipment to do everything so far myself..

edit:
I have also fitted upgraded front brakes.. Slotted rotors, and bendix ultimates.. mmmmm.. it might stop now :p

P100_Ute said:
looks fabo

<SNIP>
i need to work out some overflow bottle for mine thats not too bulky. and that looks newish. going custom makes things look better
Its the stock one from the celsior... Just happened to fit into the orig celsior position with a little help of some mounts...

P100_Ute said:
agreed that the v8 in there looks factory.. if it didnt have a big toyota badge most cops wouldnt think twice that it wasnt.

i come across some dumn cops in my time.. pulled over a fair few times and no yellow sticker on my monster yet

I'm not sure if I should leave the toyota logo there or not... I'll see how it looks finished.. I'd like a supercharger sitting there, but there is no clearance.. i'm just hoping the bonnet fits after its all mounted for the last time :p

I'm using it as a work car, so keeping it stock looking is nice as the cops won't look twice.. (Neither will the bogans around here... :)

I just can't wait to get it on the road... Would happen a lot quicker if my RX7 would sell...

thanks for the info Mate,

see how things are going after the new year, i can fit an EA radiator in if i move the dryer for the air con, and get some MORE custom hoses made, seriously considering an EF/EL radiator and fan set up in that case.
yeah Keeping Bogans from thinking it would be a good Joyride is something i'd be trying to do also.

Just a quick update..

Wiring is nearly done... only things left to hook up is the speedo, and the switches on the trans for overdrive & 'power' modes...

Modified the gear selector so it mounts into its new home.. hopefully start it again tomorrrow and make sure the gauges & lights are right, as well as setting up the speedo corrector so that it allows me to adjust the speedo..

After that its trying to work out which way i'm going with this stupid driveshaft problem, as well as tidying everything up... too bad I can't bolt the dash back together until I know which way i'm going with the driveshaft...

O well.. one thing at a time..

Gday again,

i have had some interesting, info(a little late for you now sorry.)
the EL radiator has the same size hose outlet as the top and is a direct fit into EB etc, your mod has fixed this anyway. but it will fit my car without issue in the XE as the air con dryer is in a different spot.

you said $400 for fans and radiator, obviously not original ford, where did you source them if new??

interesting the bottom hose on top, i think this may fit with mine also(need another bottom hose for that)

what i was needing is how you are wirng the fans? and what model did you ask for EF or EL.
are you running aircon if so will you configure one thermo to run constant while air is on.

Yeah i've decided to keep the stock manifolds, run 2inch pipes with cats into a Y then 2.5 inch single mandrel bent system with turbo muffler is planned.

hows the progress so far?
if you need???? I have a Crown type auto with some "ISSUES" not sure if you've read my thread but its the Falcon XF thread in swapping section tailshaft went bang and broke the Auto too. have a look in the thread by KRAYN(Kris)HT holden ute, i think that had the wierd tailshaft thing and was sorted.

YEa.. I discovered the radiator difference after I had ordered them.. :shrug:

I picked the radiator & fans up off ebay... brand new direct from china or wherever...

Radiator from radwarehouse

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZradwarehouse

Fans from thundaroad

http://cars.search.ebay.com.au/_For...QfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ32054QQsassZthundaroad

If you don't mind a standard falcon radiator (I got the upgraded core...)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/EF-EL-FALCON...99911339QQcategoryZ102349QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will do what you want.,.... $300 + freight

I was looking at running the thermos off the same control as the orig fan (Just disconnect the solonid and run a relay off that output for the thermos) so it just acts like the fans on the celsior.....

Most of my driving is highway, so the fans can turn off when they feel like it.. :)

I'm just going to go the two peice tail-shaft I think... saves all the problems of having a long tailshaft as you discovered. Since i'm looking at improving the power output later on, its proberly a good idea..

Finished stripping & Cleaning the power stearing pump today, rebuild it tomorrow and start putting the whole front of the car together..

I have finished building the speedo corrector, so i'll wire that in tomorrow and its final assembly time.. :veryhappy

thanks Mate,
i had been looking at these on ebay also
i also plan to use the copper core radiator, my local radiator place said they are proven good, whereas the aluminium core type have not been around long.
i wouldnt mind betting its the same radiator as he sells.

the fans at almot half the price of the radiator shop, and ford and a little dearer than second hand i'll have a go with them too. i have a davies craig crontroller as well as the themo switch, will choose one of the two.

yeah i wondered my self about a two piece tailshaft, i am running a W57 5 speed this time, and the sedan will be a little shorter and i'm going a bit bigger diameter. will also use a tailshaft loop.

if you have a 3.23 diff it may be suitable also, but 2.92 is definatly too tall(i got over 100kmh in first)(80 when i changed to 3.45)
good luck sounds like you are nearly up and running
thanks Dean

Finally got a video of it starting & running...

http://www.fnqgaming.com/ben/NVEExport.3.mpg

My to-do list is getting shorter...

* Install speedo adjuster
* Tailshaft Needs making.. (Anybody know where I can buy a tailshaft coupling to suit the 3 fingered output shaft? A complete tailshaft would be fine as I can always modify it to fit)
* Radiator fans need wiring..
* Mounting the ECU & Cleaning up the wiring
* Put the car back together and finish the general roadworthy crap
* Install exaust system

Should be all done apart from the tailshaft in a week or two.. :)

:wtf:
I must say i could never imagine a lexus v8 sitting in between the strut towers of a ford falcon, I can't get over it. The best thing about it is you will never have to worry about the old girl ever leaking oil and you can keep the 4.0L badges. Job well done, a budget beast

superlex1 said:
:wtf:
I must say i could never imagine a lexus v8 sitting in between the strut towers of a ford falcon, I can't get over it. The best thing about it is you will never have to worry about the old girl ever leaking oil and you can keep the 4.0L badges. Job well done, a budget beast
veryhappy.gif

Its turned out really well...

Thermo fans are wired, just need the temp set on them...

Nearly finished tidying the engine bay wiring... about 1 hour left to finsih the tidying up..

I'll bolt the front end back-together and then re-assemble to dash...

Still finalising the tailshaft ideas.. waiting on some calls back from a few companys about who can do what.. Looks like I might be able to get rid of the two peice tailshaft after all... Finally found somebody willing to make a one-peice shaft with a slip-joint in the middle..

The truth will be when its made...

Well, apart from the air-con, the engine bay is finished...

Bonnet got fitted today, as did one headlight.. ran out of light.

I'll bolt the front-end back together tomorrow and then start on making the dash wiring looks normal again and get it back together so the interior can be cleaned and re-assembled..