Porting and polishing heads on the 1uz's..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
especially around the port divider, making it sharper...

i disagree. port divider edge should be a rounded profile, help prevent boundary layer flow separation from a sharp leading edge

and i'm with ed - round that divider!

i will be focusing on smoothing out the short turn on the inlet and raising the roof on the exhaust port a little.

i've found (with extensive googling and reading this site) that those little bits alon will improve flow and gas speed substantially.

and i'm with ed - round that divider!

i will be focusing on smoothing out the short turn on the inlet and raising the roof on the exhaust port a little.

i've found (with extensive googling and reading this site) that those little bits alon will improve flow and gas speed substantially.
Ummm I was meaning the leading edge being sharper.. Not the turn !!

Attachments

• IMG_0436 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0436 (Medium).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0437 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0437 (Medium).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0438 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0438 (Medium).JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0439 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0439 (Medium).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0440 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0440 (Medium).JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0441 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0441 (Medium).JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 25
Wouldn't a sharpened razor edge on the divider sections split the airflow better then a rounded polished edge?

With a rounded edge there is more material mass to slow down the airflow at the split point, no?

Then again if you look at most airplane wings they all have rounded edges rather the razor sharpened edges, hmmm?.. Once again, I am stuped on this discusion and just trying to apply logical sense... I also would venture to guess the best Y and X cross sections splits on the exhaust systems are usually better when sharpended rather then rounded, no? Maybe JB can answer that....

boundary layer separation - google it
Aha I can see why you didn't explain it...
907fb27d8b118f7d913d7b434f8a5109.png fbaacaee918d6c03d62777fe608a3c08.png d0bfc88a436fa1563e98bcc2282f4e59.png

In taliking to Gas motorsport and others .. There is low flow around exhaust ports especially..
There are cast ridges inside exh ports just under seat, on the inlet the ports are bigger than valve seats...

Attachments

• 907fb27d8b118f7d913d7b434f8a5109.png
    907fb27d8b118f7d913d7b434f8a5109.png
    829 bytes · Views: 0
  • fbaacaee918d6c03d62777fe608a3c08.png
    fbaacaee918d6c03d62777fe608a3c08.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
Yup you want the flow to 'attach' itself to the runner wall....this becomes the boundary layer and effectively smoothes the path for the rest of the flow and minimises turbulence. Where the boundary layer separates you get much greater turbulence and effectively a smaller port diameter for clean flow.

Kinda counter intuitive but the more rounded leading edge poses far less risk of boundary layer separation

This is deep....I think I just busted a brain cell trying to figure this all out... Let me take a shot at it anyway...

As the air travels thru the ports due to a specific design of bends and turns perhaps prior to the dividing point, this inturn flows the traveling air closer to the runner walls so the split point becomes less of a factor or the rounded dividing point can be made to influence the airflow to stay closer to the walls which benefits the air flow overall.. Something like that in some cases anyway I hope...

So in effect it falls on the design of the heads and runners, angles and bends as to whether you should sharpen or round the dividing split points in some cases... I know there is alot more that can go into this theory but this is the only one I can comprehend for right now....

Back to the spent exhaust flow as another example: If the air is swirling thru a relatively straight designed exhaust system then perhaps a sharpened point divider (X member) may be the more effective choice like in our crossover exhaust systems in our stock SC's and Soarer cars for best exhaust flow....

Ps. Be nice Ed, as I know I am not at the level of comprehension that you are at in regards to this discussion.....

During this discussion in Physic's class in college I was suffering from a nasty hang over from the night before and actually fell asleep during this lecture..:sleeping: ..Oooops, My bad...