Porsche 944 and Mercedes 280SE, 1969 covernsion

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

caracal924

Hi all,
My wife drives a 1969 Mercedes 280se, and I have been looking at the Lexus V8 a long time, seeing that we can get them now here in South Africa. the motor is going and I've been thinking of converting the car to V8......
My next project will be a Porsche 944. I currently drive a NA 924 (4 cyl) and wanted to convert it, but the drivetrrain (20mm drive shaft in a torquetube) might be s bit weak for it. A 944 would be perfect, seeing it can handle Corvette engines. I just need to source the right one....
I am still way in the beginning of the planning dept. Does anybody have any drawings / Photos of the back of the engine? I want to start designing an adaptor for either gearbox.
Computorbox etc. is not a problem, as we have more than enoguh aftermarket systems here.
I will keep you posted as things progress when they do, but for now I am only planning (the merc is 10000km away) and I a travelling on business for the rest of the year, but I need to keep busy in the hotel at night...

I've been working towards a 944 too.

So far I have a stripped out shell and an engine and the adapter does look like it's going to be fun. Sump fitment too as the Porsche Cross member is high and roughly just forward of the middle of the engine.

Also the 944 4 pot is mounted on a slant to obviously clear the bonnet/hood but also the cross member.

I've toyed so far with getting a 951 (944 turbo) bell housing and clutch set up as it's slightly larger than a NA 944 and therefore only needing to machine an adapter to the block and the front part of the Porsche fly to the correct depth and with the Lexus bolt centres.

It may also be possible to remove the Lexus starter and mount it nice and low in the Porshe position on the Bell. In addition if a low compression 1UZ the Porsche starter mihgt be able to cope.

That's as far as I've got. I have researched Renegade Hybrids in the US but they seem to use a lengthy adapter to mount the Chevy engines but this pushes it too far forward in my opinion and must cause understeer. Hence my wanting to use as much of the Porsche set up as possible.

Interested in your thoughts.
Mark

Hi Lambo,

Unfortunately I don't think this will help. The 944 has the box in the rear with the link made by a torque tube. The bell housing on the box is different to the other bell housing mating the tube to the engine and that holds the clutch/flywheel.

However the 944 internals are good and I've managed to get a turbo lsd version which is ideal.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Guys, you may find this disscussion of use http://www.gt40s.com/forum/tech-powertrain-transaxles/19316-016-944turbo.html

I have joined my 1uz to an Audi quattro and a 2 wheel drive transaxel, but it looks like to get a stronger internals people are looking at fitting 944 internals to the 016 box, the info is out there just takes time to track it down.

Best regards
Lambo

Attachments

• IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 5
All still in bits on my garage floor I'm afraid.

To be honest I think it's possible but I'm going to need some professional help in linking the 2 and that means £££ and they're in short supply at the moment.

I'd be interested if you've done anything similar?

Mark

bump anyone done this eyt...

nope!

Are you doing the same? Let me know if you are as would be interested in splitting some of the engineering costs associated with it. Better to both do that rather than incur 100% costs each.

M

Moved to General section since this is not a project Diary. Hope you find what your looking for here! :)