PipeMax header design software

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LEXUSA

I just purchased the newest version 3.8 of this software. I have a few exhaust build projects I wanna do. It needs lots of engine specs to calculate everything and was wondering if y'all had a link to these or could fill in the blanks for a UFC20 1UZFE? Are they the same for the 1st generation? I know some things changed.

rF4+IuuTDGsAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

I guess you wanna know which specs.
Volumetric Efficiency
Bore
Stroke
Rod length C-C
Peak HP rpm
Compression ratio

Intake-
Valve head diameter
Valve stem diameter
Lift
Duration at .050
Degreed Centerline
Lobe separation angle

Exhaust-
Valve head diameter
Valve stem diameter
Lift
Duration @ .050
Port centerline length

I promise to post what the software comes up with.

Preliminary results look to be lots smaller than even JBrady calculated. Was he using PipeMax? This is what I came up with for a Tri-Y street header with mufflers, low to mid range torque and high rpm hp.

1st Y segment - 1.25" OD - 18" long

2nd Y segment, 1st step - 1.375" OD - 9" long
2nd Y segment, 2nd step - 1.50" OD - 9" long

Collector 1.5" tapering up to 2.5" over a 20.6" length or even longer depending.

This is so much smaller than anything I've seen.

Does anybody know what the exhaust port diameter is? I found one post where someone had ported his up to 1.5" so OE must be smaller than that, maybe 1.25" primaries aren't such a crazy small proposition.

exhaust port dia..

Hi LEXUSA
The exhaust ports are 34.8mm top to bottom and 35.8 side to side.

Hope this helps..

I am interested in your software because I have to make an exhaust system for a mid-engined 1uzfe and a lot shorter than that for a car with motor mounted in the front. I will watch your results with interest...

Cheers Craig

Thanks for the info youngcnc. ~35mm round exhaust port is close to 1.375" diameter. The website for the PipeMax software suggests tapering the exhaust port size down to the calculated 1st segment diameter if the exhaust port is larger than what PipeMax suggests for the 1st segment. So port match the header flange to the exhaust port but taper it down to 1.25" OD. This is wild and so much different than what I so often see done.

If you keep the 1UZ factory as in cam specs, compression, valve size and intake then the exhaust could be as short as 56" with no mufflers. Or it could be alot longer. I'll have to recheck the different lengths and get back to this post.

What year is the engine? 1st Gen, 2nd Gen, UFC10, UFC20? I know sometimes we get different engines different years than the rest of the world. The data I have is for a UFC20. I think it has more compression than the UFC10. More compression makes the exhaust diameter get smaller believe it or not.

The header will be about 36" long but some of that will be bent tubing wrapped around your mid-engined set up. Then the collector can be:

Best lengths are 20.6" , 41.1" , 82.2" , 164.4" long including mufflers and tail pipe.

Worst lengths are 30.8", 61.7" , 123.3" , 246.6" long including mufflers and tail pipe.

Do you plan to run dual exhaust or merge into a single? An "H" pipe crossover would need to be located 20.6" after the ends of the primaries. An "X" pipe would need to be 82.2" after the ends of the primaries. I'm still trying to get an answer on where a "Y"-pipe would be located. Seems to me a "Y" is just an "X" that stays merged into 1.

Engine specs...

Hi LEXUSA
The engine I have is early 1uzfe (non vvti) it has 0083329 stamped on it.
The ecu has 89-94 celsior (sorry about spelling) written in black pen on it but I know it is not a matched to the motor (planning to run link anyway)
I am planning to run motor as is without modifying at this stage.

Just measured the inside of exhausts and the size is 33mm.

As far as single or dual I am not really sure just want a nice rumble without drone.. But not too quiet..

Handy info on lengths to aim for.. Thanks very much

Cheers Craig

Hi LEXUSA
The engine I have is early 1uzfe (non vvti) it has 0083329 stamped on it.
The ecu has 89-94 celsior (sorry about spelling) written in black pen on it but I know it is not a matched to the motor (planning to run link anyway)
I am planning to run motor as is without modifying at this stage.

The specs may be a bit different because I believe the UFC10 has 10:1 compression. We need to verify lift and [email protected], valve size....I think the rest is the same.

Just measured the inside of exhausts and the size is 33mm.

So is this the exhaust port or the exhaust manifold you measured 33mm ID ?

As far as single or dual I am not really sure just want a nice rumble without drone.. But not too quiet..

Handy info on lengths to aim for..

So, what are you putting this in? The 1UZFE in OE configuration is a smooth torque producing engine that makes peak around 5300 to 5600 so a long exhaust system is optimal. Luckily the tubing diameter is smaller than most V8's so packaging should be much easier.

Thanks very much

Cheers Craig

Thanks for your information

exhaust port dia..

Hi LEXUSA
Sorry not sure about lift and duration and valve sizes...
Hope someone out there can help.?

The 33mm size that I referred to is the exhaust pipe dia. about 18mm (as far as internal jaws on vernier will fit) down the inside of exhaust pipe.

And the 34.8mm to 35.8mm is measured on the head exhaust ports.

Its going in a chassis that I'm going to get built by a friend that builds Lotus sevens as a living. With inboard front suspension, a porsche 924 trans-axle and lots and lots of custom parts made on my CNC mill.

Should be a great toy and weight 800-900 kgs.. still a long way off.Craigs camera to sort 006.jpg

Craigs camera to sort 007.jpg

Craigs camera to sort 008.jpg

Craigs camera to sort 009.jpg

Craigs camera to sort 010.jpg

Here is a couple of photos to give you an idea..

Cheers Craig

You are alot younger than I imagined. :D

The 33mm size that I referred to is the exhaust pipe dia. about 18mm (as far as internal jaws on vernier will fit) down the inside of exhaust pipe.

And the 34.8mm to 35.8mm is measured on the head exhaust ports.

So Toyota does what Pipemax is suggesting. They make the port larger than it needs to be and then taper the headpipe down smaller than the exhaust port.

I've got to give them some credit on the OE exhaust system though. The lengths that are important are the same as what Pipemax calculates. The length of the manifolds, catalytic converters, and pipe to the "Y" are around 60" which is what Pipemax calculated. The entire exhaust length, from manifolds to mufflers and tail pipes, is close to the 164" Pipemax calculated. The lengths correspond to the harmonics of the system.

I've seen this correlation on a motorcycle exhaust system too. The factory lengths were correct, the diameters were a little too small and the transitions not as smooth as they could be but.......

I think Toyota did what they could in the tight confines and located the two cats as close as possible to the engine, they are even sized to be close to what the collector is calculated to be. A Tri-Y will be too difficult to make fit on an LS400, I'll be building a 36" long 4-1 instead, maybe merge the two pairs 2-1 just prior to the collector so it will be more like two 2-1 and then those 2-1, better step up sizing, I don't like how a 4-1 merges into a large chamber already as big as the collector needs to be.

youngcnc, 56" is about the shortest each side can be, header, muffler and tail pipe included. Or 77" or 118" long.

Cheers LEXUSA..

Thank you for the information.
Small things like these are what will help to end up making a great toy even better... Your help and time are really appreciated.

Any time I can help just ask...

Cheers Craig Young

How far apart are the exhaust ports spaced from each other? I'm trying to figure out how much longer the front head pipe will be than the rear head pipe by the time they both clear the back of the engine. The front head pipe will have to take a direct route to the collector where as the rear will need to wind around a bit to add length.

I've been trying to pick up a pair of OE exhaust manifolds to modify, my local Pick-a-Part has two LS400's and they charge less than eBay usually starts the bidding at. Both heads or the whole engine is pretty cheap too. I need a bigger shop.

exhaust port centres..

Hi LEXUSA
Sorry bit slow to get back to you been away on holiday with the family.
The exhaust port centres are 105.5mm between all 4 exhaust ports.

From the centre of the back exhaust to the back of the head is 100mm.

Also managed to figure out what I am going to put this motor in. A Gt40 body plus a lot of other parts to manufacture them has come my way.
When the deal is done I will have some more info but at least its a step forward.

Cheers Craig (PS. we all need bigger workshops)

Hi LEXUSA
Sorry bit slow to get back to you been away on holiday with the family.
The exhaust port centres are 105.5mm between all 4 exhaust ports.

From the centre of the back exhaust to the back of the head is 100mm.

Also managed to figure out what I am going to put this motor in. A Gt40 body plus a lot of other parts to manufacture them has come my way.
When the deal is done I will have some more info but at least its a step forward.

Cheers Craig (PS. we all need bigger workshops)

Thank you very much and WOW! A GT40 kit car body? A replica of the original GT40 or more like the newer GT? Either way, that's gonna be awesome. We need pictures.

You have the 1st generation engine which is suppose to have the super strong bottom end so a turbo is also possible. I'm discussing Turbo Header/Manifold design with the folks over on the PipeMax Forum. The software isn't designed for a turbo type exhaust system nor do they or I know what effects a pressurized exhaust system has on exhaust system calculations. Volumetric Efficiency and Cylinder Pressure/Compression Ratio go up as rpm/boost goes up but the turbine housing is a nozzle which creates a restriction so.....we don't know yet. There is probably software for a turbo exhaust system out there somewhere but I haven't found it.

Thanks again for the info!