opinons on supra w58

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

n4087607

i am using a the supra w58 box on my conversion and was going to use a solid center 5 puck clutch. what i was wondering is can the gearbox handle the shockloads given that i am going to treat it like ****. also the car weighs aprox 1100kgs

Im using the W58 in my 2WD Hilux but just using a heavy duty 3SG-te(GT4) clutch and pressure plates. I do know of a few guys dragging 1UZ's that are opting for the tripple plate clutch as they say they can then dump it in 3rd gear etc. with out them slipping.

For an RA28 any W55/7/8 will be more than enough.
The car is light enough for the gearbox to survive.
For the cost of a rebuilt W5x (which is usually around $800-$1000), just pay the extra and get an R154 if you are worried.

In killing W5x's you usually lose a couple of teeth off the input shaft gear, and it eventually strips itself.

peewee
yeah the car is light at 1100kgs, how heavy is the ra28? The car is not an everyday driver so its more an issue of if the gearbox is going to survive (to late to chage to a r154, unless they use the same bellhousing and are the same length). what do you think, is going to survive hard launches with the solid center clutch or will it die.
lowboy nz
do you get much slippage with clutch when you get stuck into it.

W5x's are cheap enough that if you break a couple you'll still be infront ($ wise comparing to R154)

As long as you don't use drag slicks and 6000rpm launches it should survive.
Don't flatshift either.

Yeah go the tripple plate for the hard launches, Most of the drag guys here are still using W55 boxes with the tripple plate set up and seem to be doing ok.

Does anyone know if there are 2 different auto bellhousings on the back of the 1UZ's, my soarer bellhousing appears to not be tilted unlike the crown/celsor???

Crown and Soarer bells are different. The Soarer has 4 threaded holes for the exhaust to mount to.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the trans rotated around the engine a few degrees for any number of reasons.

When I fitted my trans I rotated it to make the slave cylinder clear the header on that side.

No reason not to rotate the trans.