Oil

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Guts

What oil do you run?

I`m thinking of a synthetic but don`t know if the extra $$$$ is worth it.
I have only run shell helix up untill now, but am woundering what is better.

same as any car really i'd assume.

i usually use plain shell helix in my commodore.... at oil changes it comes out black.
every now and then i use shell helix plus (semi synthetic) and at oil changes it comes out only a little darkish, but nowhere near black.

so i guess the synthetic stuff just seems to last longer than the normal stuff...thus protecting then engine more.

once my 1uz is running i plan to use the exact same oil for it.
start off with a few short runs of shell helix....then after a while maybe try one run of the plus just to show the engine i love her. :D

thefastj said:
i usually use plain shell helix in my commodore.... at oil changes it comes out black.
every now and then i use shell helix plus (semi synthetic) and at oil changes it comes out only a little darkish, but nowhere near black.
:D

As far as i know the blacker the oil comes out the better it cleaned your engine

Right now im running Moble 1 Synthetic but well see how it comes out when i change my oild

god, i'd never use mobil 1.

the kind of viscosity changes that oil goes thru (50 weight to 5 weight!!) just isn't good at all - for ANY engine. it's just too thin - it's like canola oil when hot.

By chance I was sent an oil classification chart yesterday for the 1UZ-FE.

Reccomended grades are:

Cold climate 5W/30
Moderate climate 10W/40
Hot climate 20W/50

Oli pressure :

2.45-4.9 bar @ 3000rpm

And whilst on pressures the cooling system operating pressure is 1.03bar

Thermostat opens 80-84 degrees C

I'm happy to find this discussion on oil's, as i have been having a chat 400ZED elsewhere in this forum,on this subject.thank's for that 400ZED.
Just to let other's know what i've found with my 1uz so far.
I was running KENDAL 20w50 in my old engine so i put it in my 1uz, right from start up i was concerned with how high the oil pressure was, even hot.
I had my car on the dyno dynamic's dyno in shoot out mode & ran 208rwhp.
I decided to change to a thinner oil, fuchs 10w30 synthetic is what i'm using now.
Back on the same dyno a couple day's later ran 214rwhp.
Hot idle may be a little low, 20psi after a couple of street races on a hot night (30c)
Any thought's

pro240c said:
god, i'd never use mobil 1.

the kind of viscosity changes that oil goes thru (50 weight to 5 weight!!) just isn't good at all - for ANY engine. it's just too thin - it's like canola oil when hot.

I dont know what your talking about but just for your info im using 5w30 which is recomended... i mean it even says it on the oil cap...

well, 5 weight to 30 weight isn't a huge difference in viscosity. and if you live in a colder climate and using this oil as recommended (thanks Rod :) ) then obviously thinner is better.

but 5 weight to 50 weight is a huge jump - esp. if my climate dictates a 15W40 or so - that's 10 weight difference either side of optimal.

IMO, that's asking for trouble.

here in west australia, we regularly see over 37ºC (over 100ºF) and can have 2 straight weeks of it - so our oil would have to be a bit thicker to compensate.

Well where I live the temps very from 40 cel down to -5 so what do I run.

Tuesday here was 39 deg cel at 3pm, yesterday was 8 we get from one extreme to the other over night.

xirforever said:
As far as i know the blacker the oil comes out the better it cleaned your engine

think it only goes black coz it burns.
synthetic stuff must be more resistant to this.

you can tell if its cleaning a dirty engine my looking for chunks when you poor the dirty oil into an old container slowly.

thefastj said:
think it only goes black coz it burns.
synthetic stuff must be more resistant to this.

you can tell if its cleaning a dirty engine my looking for chunks when you poor the dirty oil into an old container slowly.

I know a guy whos job is to go around to different companies and he gives advise to them on what tiers and oils to use in their machinery, and thats what he told me, that the blacker the oil the better it cleaned.

but synthetic does last longer so i think thats why they recomend you change it not as often as conventional oil, somthing like 2-3 k more miles it can take ive heard