Noob Introduction

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Danger Mouse

Hi, new to the forum, joining as I've recently bought a '91 2WD Hilux with a 1UZ conversion, done professionally for the previous owner (mostly a very good conversion, but needed a couple of things tidying up in the wiring).

Currently also has an intermittent misfire (yet again I stop lurking and actually join a forum only when there's a problem), but only started doing this the last couple of days and need to spend some time under the bonnet testing leads, checking plugs and the like. It's running the stock ECU, so can also check fault codes... but if anyone knows a "first place you should check", apart from continuity checks and plug cleaning, it would be much appreciated. I've done plenty of searching already, so got some great pointers (ah I do love forums...), if the weather isn't too shocking this weekend I'll give her a once-over.

Other than that, hello!

Attachments

• Hilux.jpg
    Hilux.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Cheers for the reply, yeah that's what I'll be checking first, was messing about with the leads before I drove home this evening and it made things worse, which points in that direction. That'll be the weekend's project.

I do like the truck though, lots of it has been done well, W58 gearbox with full rebuild when the conversion was done, LSD diff redone to tighten it up (has the drift car hop in tight corners) and a rather free flowing exhaust... the wiring not done so well, but sorted that already.

Nice truck DM and sweet detailing, glad you found the fault (you new it any way didnt ya ;) good forum this one, a very helpful bunch from accross the globe

Cheers Smokey :) yeah was pointing to the ignition lead but always nice to have it confirmed by the experts before pulling everything apart. Only problem is the cost of replacing them, a full set from Toyota is ridiculous. Got some coming from the States for a much more reasonable price, as well as a couple of used spares from a local guy.

Hey where in Herts do you live? Used to live in Stevenage and Hitchin when I was in the UK.

Arse... not the lead, just tested 2 good ones on the cylinder I thought was dropping and it turns out my multimeter was running out of juice, so the original lead was fine as well.

Any other ideas before I go hunting again?

Bloody hell this is getting confusing, dug out the "dead" lead from the trash and it's definitely dead. So at least that is correct, may be more than one then. But anyways, started a thread in diagnostics to cover...

Hey yes I did in the end, seems it was a crappy spark plug, what a lot of flap about something that was actually pretty obvious. Amateur mechanic fail, ha ha.