No fuel after fuel pump - Surf 1UZFE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Mattmannz

I have had this truck, a 91 Surf for about 8 months with the 1UZFE and it's been good, always starts with no problems.

It failed to start the other day, pulling the fuel link from the filter to the fuel rail showed air pressure but no fuel.

Connecting a new line to the pump outlet running down to the ground gives virtually no fuel at all after 20 seconds of cranking.
Pump sounds fine.

The Surf is an ex 2.4 Diesel with the original tank. Gauge shows 1/3 tank but I added another 5L just to be safe.

Any thoughts on where to from here?

Cheers
Matt

Check out your fuel pump pick up line if your running an external pump. It could be sucking air and not fuel due to a cracked hose ect to the inlet of the pump. if this checks out ok remove the pump and bench test it with a known good fuel line and supply of fuel. Some efi pumps dont like to have to suck to get there fuel and rather like to be mounted level with the bottom of the fuel tank. Dont let the pump run dry for any longer than you have to to test the pump.

Thanks for the reply.

The pump is mounted on the inner guard so it's definitely not near or below the tank level.

There are no visible cracks, the hard lines run right to the tank pretty much so there is only a small section of flexible line.

It's worked okay for the last 8 months but I guess that doesn't mean much. Pump out time I guess.

Cheers
Matt.

Pump checks out okay on the bench, back in the truck with a container supplying fuel and it lights up first time.

Reconnect fuel tank line and after 10 seconds cranking it fires up with no problems.

Weird. Must have been an air blockage of some sort that the pump couldn't shift.

Thanks to those who replied.

Cheers
Matt.

If it happens again I would be relocating the pump to as close to the tank as possible or better still fit a swirl pot and fit the efi pump at the base of the swirl pot. Buy a low pressure pump to fill the swirl pot as these often can suck fuel better than high pressure efi pumps. Cheers kris

You'll find a good spot just behind the tank near a round x-mem that has enough room to mount a 800-1000mm surge tank and pump. That's where I fitted mine and I would take some pics, but dont have my truck here with me.

EFI are not really designed to "lift" and as such should have either very little "lift" or ideally should have a small amount of head (pressure) at the inlet. Unfort, these types of pumps tend to self destruct pretty quickly if there is no fuel to pump.

If you want some pics of my setup, let me know and I'll take some.

Cheers