Nice engine building tips and pics (LS2)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That is amazing, that is how I would love to see me building up a 2UZ or something for insane 1000bhp+ level's.

That thread also brings up an interesting discussion, strain (or is it stretch) gauge Vs. torque wrench.

Now me and my mates use a torque wrench for most things on our bikes and I guess most of these things a torque wrench will do the job but in the case of the big end main bolts, especially in mega horse power applications, that torque wrenches are a no no.

That is amazing, that is how I would love to see me building up a 2UZ or something for insane 1000bhp+ level's.

That thread also brings up an interesting discussion, strain (or is it stretch) gauge Vs. torque wrench.

Now me and my mates use a torque wrench for most things on our bikes and I guess most of these things a torque wrench will do the job but in the case of the big end main bolts, especially in mega horse power applications, that torque wrenches are a no no.

Amazing indeed. The level of effort required to truely do it RIGHT!

Torque specifications are designed to ATTEMPT to create the "stretch" required. Each fastener (as you probably know) needs to have enough tension so that it will not loosen and as it is stretched further during operation it still can return to its SET length. If it is stretched too far it will not return and then either loosen or fail and or both. If not stretched enough it will loosen and by being loose allow failure.

img1791bf0.jpg

The torque setting is a measurement that tries to achieve stretch but of course the friction between all points: threads, tools, surfaces and of course lubricants all effect how much torque is measured on a tool vs. how much a fastener stretches. There is simply no subsitute for stretch measuring.

If you do not measure stretch you will probably be ok for a basic build but never expect to have a real durable assembly as you increase output.