Newbie looking into 1UZ into a TE27 Corolla

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

All-Trac

Hello all, I'm Justin, I have a 1972 Corolla that has 75k miles on it, it has the 2 speed Toyoglide automatic. First the transmission went out and I had a good friend rebuild it. The car sat so long, the gas went bad so when I drove it a couple valves were stuck and it bent a couple pushrods, pulled it apart to fix and noticed it had a cracked block. I found another Corolla with a running 2tc for $700 and the guy wouldn't go lower so I passed since it had double the miles mine did.

So enter why I am here. I found a complete running LS400 for $800 obo. I'm thinking of swapping the whole engine, transmission, factory computers and everything over on a budget. Am I crazy? With the factory ecu will I have to swap silly stuff over like instrument cluster? Is there a theft deterant system I must overcome? I have a really good friend that's a great fabricator so I'm shure we can get it mounted in there no problem, get a custom driveshaft made and a Ford 8.8 rear. If I want to go faster I'll give it a whiff of nitrous. Any insight would be appreciated. I just want the least amount of headaches and I want to make this as cheap as I can.

BTW what ever happened to "The Flea"?

hmm. More power to you so to speak, but I wouldn't do it. balance will be all screwed up if you care about handling at all. I late model camry4 would be a huge upgrade and lighter.

Ahh not much heavier !! It's not a Chevy !!

yeah, but frankly the 1uz doesn't make that much power. For that car a 20v 4age would be much more satisfying. I'd like to put the current 268hp camry/Rav4 engine in my LS400 which would improve weight distribution and gain hp in the process. (though I'm trying to find a vvt 1uz for now)

yeah, but frankly the 1uz doesn't make that much power. For that car a 20v 4age would be much more satisfying. I'd like to put the current 268hp camry/Rav4 engine in my LS400 which would improve weight distribution and gain hp in the process. (though I'm trying to find a vvt 1uz for now)

The 1UZ isn't the most powerful engine but in a TE27 the torque would still move it along pretty quickly and, more me at least, the noise it makes is at least as much a part of the fun factor as the acceleration.

I've owned and built much faster cars than my Hilux, but the 1UZ makes it the most enjoyable vehicle I've owned. As my wife says "Do you HAVE to wind down the window and rev the engine EVERY time we drive into a carparking building?!?"

hmm. More power to you so to speak, but I wouldn't do it. balance will be all screwed up if you care about handling at all. I late model camry4 would be a huge upgrade and lighter.

I agree about the balance--it will be worse. TE27's are light, fairly nimble cars, but are already front heavy. Now if you are drag racing or drifting, then it will be a great set up. But there is definitely something to be said for low RPM torque: 250 HP from a V8 will be way more fun than 250HP from a 4 cylinder motor.

FYI when I took the 2t out of my car, it weighed in at 240 lbs with the clutch and flywheel on it. The 1UZ that I had weighed 420 lbs with the torque converter still on it. Both motors had all accessories still on as well.
I know you are looking for cheap and easy, so modifications to move the motor back some to offset the extra weight is not really an option.
So it is up to you if 180 lbs is that big of a deal.

Mark