Newbie advice

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Delp

Hello all apologises if I have posted this in wrong section. This is my first thread.
I recently bought a Toyota Soarer v8 or should I say lexus sc400.
I notice oily patch around this area. I don't know much at all about cars, so needed some advice on what the problem could be. I do have this cold air intake not sure it's forced induction could be causing this any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-24-22-06-45-136_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-03-24-22-06-45-136_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210324_205004.jpg
    IMG_20210324_205004.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 18
That could be a collapsed valve cover gasket, should probably do both sides at the same time. Clean it up and inspect at a later date and time and see if it has been resolved. Best way to verify.

That could be a collapsed valve cover gasket, should probably do both sides at the same time. Clean it up and inspect at a later date and time and see if it has been resolved. Best way to verify.
Thanks for the reply. I will clean the area and keep an eye on it. Could it be the rear cam seals. When you mention both sides does it have two gaskets. Can you buy the complete kit or Individual replacement parts. Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I will clean the area and keep an eye on it. Could it be the rear cam seals. When you mention both sides does it have two gaskets. Can you buy the complete kit or Individual replacement parts. Thanks

Depends.. stealership everything is individual parts, like $100 more or less... Felpro aftermarket ones do come in packages with both sides, fuel and spark plugs seals, probably about $50.

Edit: forgot rear cam seals is basically a portion of the valve cover gasket, just make sure they're included, if not make sure you purchase them.

This is what I would do. Take the car down to your local car wash. Pressure clean the engine well. Drive home. Using a compressor, blow down the engine to remove any excess water. Remove any parts needed to access the 10mm cam cover bolts, check they are tight and secure. Re-assemble drive and inspect after a few days. A small weep like that is most like loose cam cover bolts. PS. The cams don't have a rear seal, only at the front, behind the cam gear.

Never pressure washed a engine before. Should I cover all electrical connections.
The cam gear you refer to is that near the firewall when looking at the front of the engine. The picture I highlighted what exactly is that. My mechanical knowledge is very minimal but like to learn more about the car.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi I think it is valve cover gaskets. I would like to try to replace myself. Is this a hard job to do. Any advice be appreciated.

Hi I think it is valve cover gaskets. I would like to try to replace myself. Is this a hard job to do. Any advice be appreciated.
In light of what you have told us, you would be better off taking your car to a mechanic. I'm guessing you probably don't have the tools for this sort of job either.

Sounds like you need all the help you get. I don't think you'll find a torque setting for the cam cover bolts. They are usually torqued down just enough to compress the rubber seals under the bolt heads and gasket between the cover and the head without causing the rubber to be deformed and squeezed out. This is what I do.. I use a magnetic 10mm 1/4" socket (to hold the bolt, cap and seal when assembling) on an 8" 1/4 extension with a 1/4" adaptor bit in my 9.6V mini Ryobi battery drill. Set the clutch on the drill to setting 4 and make sure you can hold back the drill by holding the chuck. The drill should easily rattle on the clutch at this setting. If you can't hold it, drop the setting to a lower value. Tighten the 8 x bolts in a cris-cross order working from the outside to the inside to ensure the cover compresses the gasket evenly. You can increase the clutch setting a little to run over the bolts again if you want more squeeze on the gasket. Good luck!