Need help buying a TIG welder, 230V $1500 price limit, any ideas?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sniper

Super Moderator
Well i just sold my S14 and I would like to now buy a TIG welder, $1500 is pritty much my max. I would like to be able to weld aluminum but i was told that i must have a water cooler attachment to do that. Is that true? How much aluminum welding can i get away with without a cooler? Other than that i am just looking to weld some headers and exhaust, maybe a cage. So any suggestions? I would prefer to buy a miller machine.

For one off fabrication you do not need a water cooled torch.

I have a Miller Syncrowave 250 with small Bernard torch.
You will need AC/DC, high frequency start and foot control.

What about the "Econotig"? the Syncrowave® 200 is another i may consider. The 250 is nice, yet a bit out of my price range.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/tig/

I am also looking to buy a metal cutting band saw so i can use my loud,messy, imprecise chop saw less. I have no idea where to start looking for one of those, any suggestions?

Sniper,
When people find out that you have a TIG welder or a metal cutting band saw, they will bring jobs bigger than you ever imagined doing.

Buy the biggest/meanest/best equipment you can afford.

Love those Miller prices, even converting to $ AUD they are about 1/3 what they cost here.

I have a Miller Dynasty 200, which I think is only a little out of your price range (it was for me as well, but I still got it). It is a good all around machine: will plug in to 110, 220, 460V single or three phase, does not pull too many amps (my previous machine tripped my breaker all the time), it puts out 200 amps which is enough to do aluminum thicknesses used for car fabrication (at 165A, that Econotig will have a hard time getting penetration into anything thicker than 1/8").

As far as not having a cooler, mine is rated 100% duty cycle at 200A--however I find the torch gets really hot after more than about 6 inches of continuous welding (but that is making a big bead at max capacity on 1/4"). It has not really been a problem for me because all my aluminum projects are small. Another thing to know is that air cooled torches are bigger than the water cooled ones, making them a little harder to manipulate and get into small areas--but the difference is not that much.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks all for your input, any info always helps,

rms, your right i will have people asking me to build stuff for them, tho by no means am i considering to become a fabricator by profession. I also have everything to learn when it comes to TIG.

Please keep in mind i have no clue as too all of the bells and whistles that are available on these machines to make welding easier. I think the Syncrowave 200 is going to be the winner. Its alittle out of my reach but i can still grab it if i hold off on the band saw for a bit. Anyone think its lacking in a feature that i will miss once i start welding more and more?

As long as you are going to use it at one location (your shop/garage) and not take it anywhere else, and as long as you have suffient power (50-60A) the Synchrowave 200 is great. It was my second choice.

I chose the Dynasty because I don't have enough amperage at my house, and I felt it would be likely that I would need to take it out of the garage for the occasional welding job.

Mark

Humm, I didnt realize it was going to pull 50-60 amps. I guess ill just have to call my electrician buddy and have him upgrade my outlet. I will not have to move the machine out of my garage. that actually gives me an excuse not to lug my machine over to someones house and have to weld stuff for them, lol