Motor test fitted

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

gloverman

My motor and box are finally test fitted. Phil (lowboy) and Rob did it while I was motorbike racing one Saturday. Cheers Guys. Fitting the throttle body will be the next challange.

We had the motor on an engine stand lowered the van into position ( on a hoist) the wheeled the motor in. The stand allowed to motor to be twisted a little with ease. The the crossmember was attached and then the box bolted up. The gearbox is still on the standard mount in the original hole. It's a very nice fit. Throttle body is high so a bit of a change is required but the sump has good ground clearance. Cheers

G'day Gloverman,
Looks pretty familiar, I am halfway thru fitting an Ecotec V6/T700 into my Hiace Commuter (work/travel unit). I went the same way, hoist the van up and engine remove/ install from the bottom. Pretty easy. I used a kit from V6 Conversions. Not really a staright up bolt in job. The engine fell into place, but a bit more thought has to go into placing Pwr Steering/ coolant tanks/ dip sticks/ etc so they can be accessed without removing the drivers seat. I nearly put in a 1UZ except my 'p' plate sons would not be allowed to drive it and they need to for the family business. I am jealous! Be an unreal sleeper!!

Drop me a line if you need advice, I may have crossed some bridges for you already.

Regards,
Freddy

Wow Kelvin, it looks like you're onto a winner there. I'll be real keen to see the finished product. Please keep us updated on the progress and don't let Lowboy 'phil' your head with too many ideas! blowers, hairdryers etc!

Muzz (I've moved to Christchurch, so I'll look at getting the CHCH members together sometime!)

Sort of off topic but there's a guy who works in the cabinet makers place in our block with a VW Kombi with a 20B tripple rotor engine in it !!
He's taken the twin turbo's off and runs a single turbo unit that at 6 PSI is giving 400 HP !!
He's now running 16 PSI so imaging what that's giving !!
As he said he spent way more money on the gearbox unit than the rest of it put together !!
Does the 1/4 in low 13's .

More work done.

Well we have got a whole lot of progress done. I sold my 2.4 petrol two weeks before easter but the buyer didn't need it straight away so the van was used for the easter motorcycle enduro and the motor was removed on the Tuesday after easter.
The engine bay was cleaned, extra radiator fitted along with a/c radiator as I am also installing a/c with the conversion, strange as I know very little about a/c, very good way to learn. We had issues with lower radiator and swaybar clearance but changed the mounting bracket for the lower radiator and it was sorted. The main radiator has been rebuilt and modified to hose the lower rad and hoses swapped to better suit the 1UZ hose configuration. Electric fan also fitted to the front of the main rad. A/c radiator will use the factory unit.
We found the gearbox linkages work backwards on the box I want to use and I am still trying to find the parts I want. Hopefully the picture will show the size difference between the two boxes. I have heard of lexus motors in Hiace vans running the standard G52 box but I still like my bigger box.
My motor has also been cleaned and cambelt, waterpump seals etc fitted. Looks very sexy. I could look at it all day. One of my staff members spent a whole afternoon with degreasers, multipurpose cleaners, alloy mag cleaner, brushes and kitchen scrubs cleaning the motor. The other staff member spent a couple of hours cleaning the gearbox.
Heater hoses on the body have been changed and we found that a crown remote oil filter setup will not fit with a rear sump so this will be mounted somewhere else. power steer unit rebuilt and the alternator and starter motor were fitted. These were already rebuilt.
The signwriter even got around to the signwriting so we pushed it across the road for the decals. This motivated me even more to get it sorted.
Yesterday the motor was refitted and mounted onto the crossmember.
That has been the last two weeks work fitting it around paying work.
Today is Sunday, Rob and myself were up with the sparrows and working on the van again. Amazing how much can be done when there are no interruptions.
Rob fitted a couple of heater hoses and cut the steel heater hose that runs through the valley - fitted a flange to it and twisted the outlet to face the left of the van and fitted a flange to the cut off part. he also refitted the lower radiator so rubber hoses can be sorted along with a/c lines.
I sorted the bellhosing to gearbox bolts, bit of die grinding to give clearance and all new hex head bolts. that done and the flywheel and gearbox where fitted. We have a small clearance issue with the a/c pump , that valve thing that sticks out the side. I am considering swapping the engine mounts to move the motor forward a little but unsure at the moment. Might try it and see how it looks. Swapping the mounts will move the motor about 5-10 mm forward. I was looking at the p/s reservoir thinking of remote mounting but found that the factory one fitted so I bolted it on. Engine cover on that side fits and I can stll check the level and refit the p/s cap. Another problem sorted. The cover behind the engine fits without any changes and has about 5mm clearance. The dipstick even fits at the moment but exhaust may change this. I thought the driveshaft might fit straight on but it was a 4x4 one and is too short but that is easy to fix. It's been a busy morning and now it's family time. Cheers

yes manual 5 speed. Phil ( lowboy ) is wanting to setup the clutch fork this arvo and then linkages to sort. I have a bigger box out of a KZH100 3litre turbo diesel van. Cheers

Hello Muzza

The problem I have is all the paying work I have to do. Can't complain too much as thats paying for the van. I hope to start it this week and be driving on the weekend. I'm about to go in and start wiring the G2 linkplus. Cheers

Well another month has gone by and it's finally driving. Did most of the engine wiring over queens birthday weekend and had it ready to fire up Last thursday (15th june) . It ran but not very well. The link did not have any base figures in it so I have set up the map from scratch. It has taken a few days but I have it to safe tune to drive. Starts well and has good power. I will get some photos up as soon as. Cheers

Hi, bit of a bump i guess?
i am now thinking of doing similar due to practicality, i also play dirtbikes and now My mate and brother and kids are all keen too, the van idea makes a lot of sense.

i have a crown motor up and running with W57 5 speed, will this bell housing kit (from CRS) fit up to the standard boxes on Hiluxes or commuter vans? or is the bigger box like the W series as you used?(or is the bigger box like the R154?)
looking for a LWB van probably around 1990ish
i currently have a CELSIOR sump(front) but does the Soarer sump fit perfect? and what about the CRS rear sump?
did you just adapt the V8 engine mounts to the 4cyl engine cross member?
thanks Dean

Soarer rear is the best of the standard units but I think the CRS may be better . The biggest problem is the overall height as the throttle body is tight under the covers. My box is different as far as I can tell from both the W and the R. The standard small hiace box has the same pattern as a W box. We use hiace rubbers and make the mount in between the rubber and the block. Soarer manifolds also can be made to fit or crown logs. Crown remote filter would fit but not with the soarer sump (touches on the rear bulge). I think it would be fine with the CRS sump. Cheers