Megajolt ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

aniesigh

Hi all, am fitting a 1uz (early model) into my offroader and want wading capabilities and have heard and seen lots of good things about megasquirt/megajolt. i plan to keep my engine stock as its only in a little Suzuki Jimny so don't really need any more power etc, all i'm really interested in is gaining a distributorless ignition setup. originally i had intended to go megasquirt but only because i didn't know megajolt existed.
i've been searching around and found some info although it seems most people either run megajolt with a carb or megasquirt if FI.
my question is, is it possible to run megajolt for ignition while maintaining stock ecu to control fueling? i know the crank trigger wheel is not 36-1 like edis8 needs, but is there any reason i couldnt run two trigger wheels? the edis one fitted in front of the crank pulley in a sealed enclosure with VR sensor mounted internally etc?
it just seems alot more expensive and in depth to re-do all the FI when all i want to achieve is ditching the distributors?

Hi all, am fitting a 1uz (early model) into my offroader and want wading capabilities and have heard and seen lots of good things about megasquirt/megajolt. i plan to keep my engine stock as its only in a little Suzuki Jimny so don't really need any more power etc, all i'm really interested in is gaining a distributorless ignition setup. originally i had intended to go megasquirt but only because i didn't know megajolt existed.
i've been searching around and found some info although it seems most people either run megajolt with a carb or megasquirt if FI.
my question is, is it possible to run megajolt for ignition while maintaining stock ecu to control fueling? i know the crank trigger wheel is not 36-1 like edis8 needs, but is there any reason i couldnt run two trigger wheels? the edis one fitted in front of the crank pulley in a sealed enclosure with VR sensor mounted internally etc?
it just seems alot more expensive and in depth to re-do all the FI when all i want to achieve is ditching the distributors?

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work if you fitted a 36-1 wheel up front. if you wanted to go without the edis you can also go with the megasquirt with spark only. it will give you lots more options to work with. and many more I/O's that could be reassigned to fan and nitrous controll, or even traction controll. Who knows. At that point the options are endless.
you could even use the stock crank and cam pickups if you ran spark only on the ms.

hmm is tempting, also just found out about tuner studio for MS which would massively help with one of my big concerns, so am still contemplating going megasquirt. perhaps i will take your advice and go with MS but run it spark only initially. the whole megasquirt thing is quite daunting as a complete noob to it! but doing it that way will probably help ease me in to it. would MS be able to share the output from the crank sensor? and does it need the cam sensor? although thinking about it the stock crank wheel doesn't have a tooth missing so i guess it would need cam signal to know where the engine is in its cycle.
Will the stock ECU be happy to keep providing fuel and shifting the trans even though it won't be connected to igniters etc?
cheers

yeah with an MS3 using the stock 12tooth VR crank trigger, 1 tooth VR cam trigger, modify the MS for dual VR input. you'll then be able to control COP's and ditch the stock coils and distributor. all in one box

will the stock ecu be able to share the signals with ms3? so it will keep fuelling and shifting the trans? need to devote some time to having a read on megamanual, cheers

Can be done, I think anyway. The 1uz goes very well when fully controlled by a Megasquirt. Why do you only want to only control spark on Megasquirt and not fuel as well. An early Hilux surf has a stand alone autobox controller that will run the gearbox or use a surastick or something similar. As a waring i believe the lexus autobox doesn't like wading too much, it can fill with water. Someone may be able to confirm this for you.

I see you are in the UK.

John Walters at Cargas in Stoke on Trent races a landrover based offroader (Comp Safari with Staffs and Shrops LRC) on a Microsquirt (Megasquirts little brother) and then uses an LPG ECU on top.

He has a wheel dyno and a wealth of knowledge on lots of different stand alone ECUs.

The microsquirt runs a 1uz through the standard dizzys to get 8 individual sparks, no need for edis. The lexus crank position sensor is crap so swap it for a ford or GM part and the squirt will be happier. Also the microsquirt has on board MAP whereas the the megasquirt is remote (or the other way round). On the microsquirt you do have to batch fire the injectors but it still makes stacks of power. btw the microsquirt is waterproof as it is designed for motorbikes and is a lot cheaper than the megasquirt.

John also has a lot of experience of MSD ignition units and stand alone spark controllers being an LPG converter.

http://www.car-gas.co.uk/index.htm

Good Luck

Hi, thanks for that!
the reason i don't particularly want to control fuel and spark is purely that i don't need to! i don't plan on modifying the engine at all so the easy option to remap would sort of be wasted on me, its going in a lightweight (ish) truck and will be plenty powerful enough as it is. Also its already a dragging project, and although i do like to have all the bells and whistles, extra hurdles will only cost me more money and time and i'm trying to be sensible with these things where i can.

The surf gearbox controller is interesting though, but would it not be set up for a diesel and therefore have funny shift points?

Ref the gearbox and wading, although i don't particularly plan to go wading i'm more just concerned about general deep-ish water, muddy bog holes etc rather than trying to cross the channel :D but surely if the bellhousing is sealed and breathers are taken up high there's nowhere for the water to get in?

Thats a good contact though aswell, may try give him a call when i get some free time and have a chat to him.
Whats the difference between mega and microsquirt? ( will look myself later but asking anyway!)

Cheers
Adam