mating a 1uz to an r154

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

toyotasrfun

hey
just wanted to know what's available for doing this
is there anything i'm able to use from the supra other than the r154 tranny that woudl save me anythign in having parts made up?
are parts available for something of this caliber?
is there a kit available for something like this?
help would be appreciated, as would a finger in the right direction
thanks everyone!

YO!

I almost completed parts for transmission swap in my sc400.

my goal was use R154 from supra mk3 turbo car cause that transmission are very cheap in Poland where I live. I bought two that trannys for 300 USD. with clutches, pressure plates and flywheels and with driveshafts too.

NOBODY make kit that allow you use stock "pull" type clutch with 1UZ. so that mean you must use “push” type clutch pate for use with THEIR custom bellhousing. I found how use as much supra mk3 parts as possible cause do not want spend fortune for that setup

You must have both: stock 1UZ and R154 bellhousings. You must have stock supra mk3 turbo clutch slave cylinder, clutch pressure plate and modify or make new flywheel.

Bellhousing: you use hybrid of two bellhousings: at tranny side from R154 and from engine side 1UZ bellhousing..

PROBLEM IS HOW DO IT STRAIGHT AND TRUE CENTERED.

You must centered it. True centered. You do not want any troubles. We will base at two laws:

FIRST LAW: stock R154 bellhousing is true centered stock on stock R154 tranny. It is obviously for everyone.

SECOND LAW: tranny side 1UZ bellhousing have “true circle” cause there on automatics is oil pump with is true circle (it rotate) and in middle it there is geometrical center of 1UZ bellhousing.

You must go to good mechanist in good machine shop.

First must at machine cut say 130 mm from R154 bellhousing. So you will have two parallel pieces of R154 bellhousing (true parallel). Same we will do with 1UZ bellhousing but NOT YET. Cause we must find it true geometrical center:

Bolt to engine side 1UZ bellhousing straight flat steel or alu plate (say 5 mm steel plate will be much cheaper and will work good as alu one). Bolt it with say 4 bolts to front of 1UZ bellhousing (engine side) and cut it to bellhousing dimension (roughly). If you put on machine 1UZ bellhousing and mount it on machine at transmission side start rotate it. Adjust it as it become rotate “pararell” without any “play”. If you put knifee on another side you can easy find true center at that plate you before bolted to 1UZ bellhousing. Cut hole on it say 55 mm.

Next machine cut 1UZ bellhousing say 130 mm from engine side as you cut R154 bellhousing.

Now we back to R154 transmission. On transmission at the end of it there is clutch shaft or input shaft.

It is center but it have big play. Too big (say 2 mm) for find true center. But it is surrounded by kind of pipe WITH is TRUE CENTERED and is very very strong and firm. That pipe is part of front bearing retainer. It is TRUE CENTERED. It had say 50 mm thick and 70 mm long. You slide on it another straight pipe that inside diameter is 50 mm. Outside is say 55 mm. Let it be 400 mm long.

Let see what we got:

1 R154 bellhousing with is cut on engine side by 130 mm

1 1UZ bellhousing that is cut 130 mm from engine side with bolted plate in center with is 55 mm hole

1 pipe that is tight on pipe surrounding input shaft pipe in transmission.

Next is easy. Mount tranny vertical (it will be easier). Of course input shaft is up. Bolt on R154 machined bellhousing. Next slide that machined 1UZ engine side part of cut of bellhousing with bolted plate. That plate have 55 hole with slide tight on that pipe at R154 tranny.

Weld it on some points.

Finally: we have bellhousing with will work with stock R154 clutch and with 1UZ engine.

That is hardest for that swap.

Next you must fabricate flywheel. It must be it same position as in 7MGTE engine for proper engaging.

You must have shifter 10 cm to back to work it with soarer. Somewhere it was write up on that forum or on club lexus forum

You must make 3 pedals (wrote somewhere on that forum)

You must cheat ecu thinking is on neutral

You must cheat speed sensor1 and speed sensor2 in tranny.

I know how but better will put pics as I will do that soon.

I will be fabricate bellhousing soon, but not sure that cause if I buy 1jz engine I just swap it and will not make 1UZ manual.

There is stock toyota 1jz bellhousing to R154 tranny. Not sure that cause engine shipping from US or Canada is expensive to Poland. And I found 1jz only in Canada and in US.

Jerry

hmmmm
this is honestly very helpful
i'm going to take the supra apart hopefully before the end of may
my idea is to use this in my corolla much like my bud the flea
thankyou very much for this info
if you would like my opinion i woudl use the 1uz in your soarer, yes your car came with a 2jz, but at the same time a 1uz can be fun too right?
and after all.. it's an 8..
but then again the 2j is also an impressive engine
i can see how it can be a hard decision for you
thanks again for the help!
keep it coming if you've got anything else to say!

please send away!
i'm lookin for other kits constantly!
still ahve to buy one
planning to have it purchased by the end of january..
we shall see how that works out though
anyway..
let me know
thanks!

THOR Racing have spent the last year transforming our Toyota Supra JZA80 into a manual 4.0lt 1UZ-FE powered car.

We have also designed our own Lexus V8 Manual Gearbox Conversion kit: £1495

THOR-Racing_r154_to_1uzfe_1_sm.jpg

For this you get everything from the crankshaft spigot bearing to the clutch cover.

All you need to supply is the 1UZ-FE (or 2/3UZ engines) automatic bell housing and the Toyota R154 manual gearbox (or Tremec TKO600).
Pedal box, clutch master cylinder and any gear lever repositioning is extra (We are intending to manuacturer a gear lever extension for the R154 seen in http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_r154_to_1uzfe_3_sm.jpg )

R154 Manual Gearbox Conversion Kit.
  1. Spigot Bearing
  2. Flywheel
  3. Flywheel Bolts
  4. Clutch Plate
  5. Clutch Cover
  6. Clutch Cover Bolts
  7. Transmission Adaptor Plate (THOR)
  8. Clutch release bearing assembly
  9. Clutch release bearing adaptor plate (THOR)
  10. Bolts for realease bearing adaptor p[late.
Nothing will be supplied seperately as we know 100% this kit works!
The clutch can handle anything the NA V8 can throw at it. Mine is at 250BHP at the wheels at present and about 240ft/lb (which is about 300BHP and 290 ft/lb at flywheel)

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_r154_to_1uzfe_1_sm.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_r154_to_1uzfe_2_sm.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_r154_to_1uzfe_4_sm.jpg

Remove "_sm" to get the LARGE images!

Here are the Tremec TKO600 gearbox images.....
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_tko600_to_1uzfe_1_sm.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_tko600_to_1uzfe_2_sm.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_tko600_to_1uzfe_3_sm.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/images/THOR-Racing_tko600_to_1uzfe_4_sm.jpg

Here are some images of my Supra V8 conversion.
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Manual_Gearbox_Conversion-311.asp

For more information please contact [email protected]

Regards
Pete

Reply To Toyotas R Fun Re;r154-1uz

Hi TOYOTA; IF YOU GO.TO www.trademe.co.nz and hit the browse button; find car parts and accersories; hit that and you;llfind a list of car models hit toyota and then you need to hitengine and drivetrain; you;ll not only find the bellhousing you want 5-600 nz dollars but there are clutches adapter plates flywheels and more.... all the best. bye the way u haven;t got a nice w 58 series gearbox up there or even an R154? if financially viable id luv to get hold of one CHEERS

Attachments

• RubberBushings.JPG
    RubberBushings.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 10
Thor, I know you want to sell the kit but I already have the bellhousing, fly etc, but MAY need the shifter position moved once its all bolted up. Would you consider selling the shifter extension / relocation alone?

Hi,

The shifter solution is a seperate item and is not part of the kit as this depends on the chassis installation, i.e. Supra, Soarer.. buggy etc etc. But as we have done the Supra JZA80 specific chassis install then yes we are looking at doing the shifter relocator as a seperate item. This depends on the number of people interested as making a cast and mold is expensive for 1 offs. It may well be the same for the Soarer, if so this will increase the chances of it happening.
We'd need min 5 and probably 10 people to make it worthwhile.

Regards
Pete

Well you made one, how much did that cost and why is it made differently than if you were to make more?

I was just thinking of buying the Soarer remote shifter parts from Toyota...

We it's a one off prototype so that would be way more expensive to duplicate as you have to cut the original housing, weld and generally do a lot of work to get the shifter to move.
The idea of the cast unit is to eliminate any errors in the conversion by providing a simpler bolt on-solution.

I'm not in a position at present to give a price on this as I didn't think anyone would ask so quickly about the shifter ;-)

regards
Pete

not gonna lie.. this is neat
now because i'm not one of those who cannot afford to just say sold.. how much are we talking?.. if i could get the amount in Canadian funds that would be fantastic.. and then if i could get the amount shipped to my door in Canadian funds that would also help a great deal.. please let me know
thanks!
also.. someone was talking about getting these parts from new zealand?.. explain please:D
thanks!

Toyotasrfun,

Our price one off kit price for the 1UZ-FE to R154 gearbox conversion is £1495 which is $3400 CAD ($2900 USD, $3750 AUD)

NOTE: For a group purchase of 5 or more I can reduce this to £1295
$2940 CAD, $3250 AUD or $2540 USD.

This is a delivered price for the entire kit (anywhere in the world)and we guarantee it will fit.

If you just want the bell housing cast aluminium adaptor, which is CNC machined with all holes, then power coated (as you see in the picture) then this is £350 GBP, $800 CAD, $875 AUD or $685USD.
plus £25 DELIVERED!

Group buy of 5 or more reduces this to £300 GBP.

(Plus any customs or tax in your country, I cannot do anything about that!)

Regards
Pete

PLEASE NOTE: EXCHANGE RATE WILL VARY.
Prices converted from GBP into AUD, USD and CAD are only valid at todays (19/12/06) exchange rate.