Massive Smoke

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Oil smoke will be whitish to bluish gray. Overrich will be charcoal gray to black. However, it's tough to tell the difference in colors unless there's a clean white background.

Another way is the smell. Depending on how much there is, oil smoke smells like, well burnt oil! Overrich will have a heavy unburnt fuel odor. Both will foul the plugs and leave carbon in the tailpipe.

I hope this isn't your freshly rebuilt 1UZ???

John

rebuilt engines may burn a little oil for a while--but it may be a sign of something not right..
cribbj is right,, excess fuel tends to be black smoke--but in a turbo car with a ton of boost,, i would say you prob will see some black smoke during heavy accelleration--depending on the tune...
a kinda quick way to determine whats happening is by pulling a spark plug.. oil tends to leave the plugs--oily.. while gas will blacken the plugs,, and the plugs may even stink like gas..

Honest i really think its tuning. I know for sure its not the engine. However, i will double check the spark plugs. At nuatral and i rev and hold it at 3, 4 and even 5K, no smoke at all, but if put it in gear and accelerate, 10 feet smoke coming out.

Another clude would be if it is oil, it only start to make smoke during heated engine. However, even at cold engine i drive it, smoke still coming out.

i have the same prblem at the moment but my problem ios the oil pump is not pumping the oil away from the turbos quick enough so it is going through the exhaust i hope to sort it out today

Attachments

• demon hi rise.jpg
    demon hi rise.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • demon.jpg
    demon.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
Looking at the plugs id say its running overly rich, oil leaves large deposits on the plugs if they fire or will be wet and oily looking if the plug fails to fire.

The white porcelain in the middle of the plug should have a light brown tinge to it if running correct mixtures, the ring around the bottom of the thread will still be a charcoal colour. Havnt you got a wideband O2 sensor from tuning the last motor?? Check how fat its running with that.

Thought id add a pic of an oily plug, this is of a plug that has been firing correctly but the engine is letting some oil into the combustion chamber. If the cyl was misfiring the deposits would be wet, black sludge rather than the ash deposits that this plug shows.

hi david.. the reason i ask is because "cold plugs" may not get hot enough to "clean "themselves.. and they tend to foul--and get black and sooty..BUT,, most turbo guys like using "colder than stock" plugs because there are less likely to cause detonation-pre ignition..
but - i m just taking a gues-- your tune is super rich under a wide open throttle..
it is "safer", BUT runing rich not only makes less power but the extra gas also tends to ruin/dilute the oil sooner.. so try and get the tune as best as you can..

Found out the problem. Its the turbo. For some reasons its leaking oil into the exhaust. I see smoke and the turbine V-band down pipe too and added an oil restrictor and its better but still need to burn out all the oil in the exhaust. Its also possible the seals are bad. I have an oil turbo cooler too.

Damn!

hey to all i found out the problem with my turbo set up blowing oil out the exhaust the oil pump for the turbos to return to the rocker cover is not strong enought to move the oil up and away a new pump is on the way that is used in the yank land hope it solves the problem

I think the problem i might have is because i have a new oil pump. Perhaps do to the new pump, its has stronger oil pressure and create oil leak in my turbo.

Restrict the oil feed. If you've got 4AN and the restriction helps, go down to a 3AN line, and see if it runs without the restrictor.

Try to get a needle valve restrictor if you can, that way you can adjust it.

The truth revealed today. I started up the engine and remove the turbo air filter. I can see the blades were tuning and i rev the engine, the blades actually move side by side and the blades scrap the compressor housing. The shalf have at least 1/8 to 1/4" play on it and it also move side to side. Now I also noticed good about of oil from my tail pipes..... No good.. i am calling precision tomorrow.....

Must suck to have a new turbo worth far over a grand with more play than most $20 junkyard units used in the Honda world!

I feel for ya.