LPG Conversions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JZH

I'm currently looking for a donor LS430 (2004-06), and it is clear from the numbers appearing in the ads that this car was a popular LPG conversion target for some time.

I don't want an LPG-converted engine in my vehicle, so how hard would it be to revert the convert? Is it a simple matter of removing parts, or is it likely that irreversible mods would have been done during the conversion process?

Cheers,

JZH

I don't recommend to buy an engine that previously ran LPG. Most apparent reasons: drilled manifold, valves requiring seating and clearance adjustment.

Our experience in Australia is that LPG vehicles have cleaner (internally) engines and last better than their petrol versions. Almost all our Taxis (FORD and GM) were LPG from the factory and those things went forever.

If I was looking at that engine I would grab it, if the price is right.

Drilled manifolds? Either replace or plug the holes with pipe plugs.

Valve seats I wouldn't even think about as the engine has hardened seats and gas is no worse than unleaded fuel in that respect.

Yes you will have to remove stuff and replace it with the correct parts but it isn't Rocket Science.

Remember it's UZ engine and they will last 500,000 miles/.

We have lots of LPG and CNG 3UZ conversions in Russia.
Best results I've seen so far are
-Swap an import JDM engine in + install new LPG/ CNG system
-1st valve clearance adjustment required in 40.000 - 90.000 km
by "required" I mean very good reason, like misfiring
If valves were not adjusted in time, it's time for new heads

I would expect that if a car is being sold/scrapped, there must be reason for it. Like maybe the said valve problems

Thanks, it sounds like there are potentially both good and bad aspects of doing this. Maybe if I stumble upon a deal I just cannot pass up I will have another look at it, but as I don't yet have any experience with a "normal" 3UZ engine, I should probably leave the task of reverting it back to petrol to someone who knows what the end goal is supposed to look like!

Cheers,

JZH