lock up torque converters

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yer all the A34xE & A35xE gearboxes that you would ever find on the back of a 1UZ have a lock up torque convertor.

Theres a solonoid in the valve body, when activated, changes the pressure in the toqrue convertor, which makes it lockup (im pretty sure 2 plates come into contact with one another, i think there key'd).

So there is only one oil gallery into the torque convertor? To engage and disengage the locking mechanism, all that happens is the oil pressure in this gallery varies?

I have a friend going to cut one up, so I will get a picture of the actual lock up mechanism inside when he gets it apart.

Yer, the fluid does return back into the gearbox between the input and oil pump shafts.

Im not too sure what the variable pressure achieves, but im assuming it has something to do with the smoothness of the lockup/unlock process.

Torque converter "lock up" is where the usual slip that occurs in a torque converter is eliminated.

Essentially it is like a conventional clutch. Once engaged you have 100% power transmission and 100% engine braking available, as long as the lock up remains in force.

It improves performance an fuel economy.

Whoever invented it is a legend.