lextreme stage one cylinder head???????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

lex95sc400

Banned
various n/a and supercharger tech/ sc400/ soarer

hey there,
whats needed to run a stage one cylinder head?
i have a 1995 sc400 with 134,000ish miles. maintenance always good and current.
im in process of installing/buying ppe heads, chinese (represent!!) cheap obd1 cats, stock y pipe, to straight 2.5'' pipe to y pipe to two dynomax bullets.

by september i hope to have enough to buy the egr delete and pay meineke to install the headers and exhaust AND then buy the stage one cylinder head.

i just wanna know EVERYTHING from top bottom that needs to be done and purchased to run a stage one cylinder.

i tried posting in cl, no response. cl=waste of time imo.
hopefully i get A response, and A helpful one will make me happy.:)

Last edited:
what are your power goals? your 95 probably has the small conrods, heads are $$$$ for little gain on a stock ecu and stock bottom end motor.

I would suggest you look at the LP1 blower setup on here... I have made 215rwkw reliably (100,000km) with his blower setup and a good tune on an otherwise stock motor.

wait till you get a quote on 32 valves, 32 springs, 32 seats, 32..... and so on and so on and then cam shafts....

yeah nah......

I would suggest you get headers and a good aftermarket ecu that should take you from 120rwkw to about 160rwkw and use less fuel day to day and if you decide on other mods later on you have a good base to work from and if you get a fields harness / other plug in ecu you can unplug it and put the stock ecu in if your local authority's don't take kindly to that kind of thing...

what are your power goals? your 95 probably has the small conrods, heads are $$$$ for little gain on a stock ecu and stock bottom end motor.

I would suggest you look at the LP1 blower setup on here... I have made 215rwkw reliably (100,000km) with his blower setup and a good tune on an otherwise stock motor.

nope!!!!! 1995 lexus sc400 had the beefy connecting rods, the 1995 LS400 got the crap connecting rods.heres one of multiple shots of the specs for 1995 sc400. the 1992 1993 1994 AND 1995sc400 had the beefy connecting rods.
the lighter rods etc is part of the reason for the 1996 official 260 hp ratings.
''The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter connecting rods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195*kW (261*hp) and torque of 363*N·m (268*lb·ft)''
If you can find 1995 sc400 with 260hp or a 10.4:1 compression i'll be bummed...
but good news is you won't:)
all over this site and threads i saw that 95 and up 1uzfes had the weak rods, but tis mis information.
sorry to rant like that but i was REALLY bummed when you said the 1995 sc400 had the crap rods. but i'm better now!

The biggest reason for the "lighter rods" is due to less material present: thin rods. The only real way to drop the weight of a connecting rod w/o removing material is to use a lighter material like alum or titanium, which was not used on the UZ.

Lextreme took apart several 1990-1995 engines and found that the changeover occurred mid 1994. Toyota's success is partly due to efficient economies of scale where they can use the exact same engine trim in several models (sc400, ls400, gs400) with exception to differing exhaust manifolds. However it is possible that a typo was made. Check this link out. Should help some: http://lextreme.com/rods.html. We're not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but this forum has seen its share of shattered rods from this changeover. If you really want to ensure that you do or do not have the beefy rods, you can drop the pan and scope them out.

Oh btw I didn't even notice your screen name when I replied to your email. We have a member "kc1995sc400" (I prob butchered it lol) but he has a supercharged setup so that's why I was referring to your setup as boosting or not. My mistake.

Regarding N/A output, you can still hit 300whp no prob on a skinny rod 1uz and this would still not overtax the rods. Seen vvti GS400's take 400bhp all day with the thin rods. I/H/E/cams + piggyback tune should get you there. As previously mentioned tho, the easiest and cheapest way to hit your goals is to supercharge your engine via fish bracket setup (centrifugal supercharged) or an m112 roots blower ($1500 for a bullet manifold and like $400 for blower on ebay). With your low miles 134k, your engine is likely in tip top shape. I CR test wouldn't hurt to verify consistency between all 8.

thanks for the replies...i crave knowledge and have been eating up the old threads.
if the stuck lighter rods in there then id be suprised. but i wont know till its pulled apart a bit. i feel with 250 hp its most likely the better beefier connecting rods. maybe fools hope?:eek:

but with the cylinder head, back to my org. post

i asked a friend of mine and he would install cams or a cylinder head,

and LP1 signified he may possibly possibly possibly do a install for supercharger. (we live 5 hours away from eachother)

No argument what so over AT all force induction is the cheaper better way to go. period.

however looking at me options, im just wondering what would need to be done realize the lextreme cylinder heads full potential. what parts for the valve train, keeping the block stock.

one last note when i read this on the web ''''The engine was slightly revised in 1995 with lighter connecting rods and pistons and an increased compression ratio to 10.4:1 resulting in peak power of 195*kW (261*hp) and torque of 363*N·m (268*lb·ft)''''

i took it to mean the lighter rods had a role in the horse power increase, ALONG with the compression increase (was that from different and actually crappier pistons???).

but if lighter rods do not increase engine out put then a 1995 lexus could be the 10.1 pistons with the weak lighter rods? that would be the only way i can think it would have 250hp but weak lighter pistons. all 1995 sc400's are rated 250hp. 10.1 compression.
i feel stupid asking if lighter rods increase hp... but im here to learn.:D

Last edited:
The biggest reason for the "lighter rods" is due to less material present: thin rods. The only real way to drop the weight of a connecting rod w/o removing material is to use a lighter material like alum or titanium, which was not used on the UZ.

Lextreme took apart several 1990-1995 engines and found that the changeover occurred mid 1994. Toyota's success is partly due to efficient economies of scale where they can use the exact same engine trim in several models (sc400, ls400, gs400) with exception to differing exhaust manifolds. However it is possible that a typo was made. Check this link out. Should help some: http://lextreme.com/rods.html. We're not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but this forum has seen its share of shattered rods from this changeover. If you really want to ensure that you do or do not have the beefy rods, you can drop the pan and scope them out.

Oh btw I didn't even notice your screen name when I replied to your email. We have a member "kc1995sc400" (I prob butchered it lol) but he has a supercharged setup so that's why I was referring to your setup as boosting or not. My mistake.

Regarding N/A output, you can still hit 300whp no prob on a skinny rod 1uz and this would still not overtax the rods. Seen vvti GS400's take 400bhp all day with the thin rods. I/H/E/cams + piggyback tune should get you there. As previously mentioned tho, the easiest and cheapest way to hit your goals is to supercharge your engine via fish bracket setup (centrifugal supercharged) or an m112 roots blower ($1500 for a bullet manifold and like $400 for blower on ebay). With your low miles 134k, your engine is likely in tip top shape. I CR test wouldn't hurt to verify consistency between all 8.

oh and best piggy-back? please.

i see you use the apexi neo tune, but wondering if compatible with a 1995 sc400 obd1.

and the adaptronic e420d is 1025$ shipped. princely sum. anyother fuel management specific items i should look at?

oh and best piggy-back? please.

To be frank, I have never used a piggyback, ever lol. Not to say I don't like them but it wasn't a goal of mine at the time of my vvti build. David had great success using the split second piggy back in the day on his LS400 TT but im pretty sure they are out of business. You can also use the MAFt translator pro which is very affordable and works great. KC1995's fish setup rat that way for a long time running about a 12 sec flat in his SC400.

The tuning can be the most expensive aspect of the build (when done right). Boosted setups are different (in my opinion) in that a cheap rising rate 12:1 regulator will reliably supply extra fuel at the expense of maximum tuning gains.

Regarding Adaptronic, their newer e420d isn't really required for his setup. I ran an e420c and even that was more tuning power than I really needed. Its too bad the OP wasn't looking for a tuning solution like 2 months ago as I sold an E420c + 6' loom for like $350 cash.

As previously mentioned, performance heads for the early UZ yields very little gains, especially a stage I. A heavily ported early UZ head will flow as much as a stock vvti head meaning that gains require a lot of porting and polishing. Also, the early UZ has a HORRIBLE lower intake manifold that maximizes torque but kills top end HP. In my opinion, I would go vvti every time if I planned a N/A 1uz build. You have very high flow heads as well as intake manifold, higher compression, VVti (for wider tq curve), and piston crown oil squirters. The downside is the rods but if 400bhp and 400btq is within your goals, a stock vvti can do that with minimal mods. Some food 4 thought. And the cheap apexi neo has been used time and time again to tune the vvti's. Not the BEST solution for tuning but it gets the job done.

lol nooooooooooooooooo i woulda bought that so quick.:eek: 350 for the e420c (which appears to be simpler) is a Steal!!!

MAFt translator pro aye? so thats the ticket. 400 bhp is more than i could hope for. 300ish whp and a weight strip will be my goal.

in all honest considered this will stay auto. are the lextreme valve springs, and lextreme titanium retainers really a intricate part of anything i'm attempting here.

after writing off the cylinder head at this point, im going in on the lextreme stage 2 cams and oversize valve.

i preciate' all the info, this is valuable as heck.

and 12 second flat supercharged sc400/soarer is gotta be fun. id run every white trash corvette in my town and lynch any and all hondas, ''legally of course''. id be one happy camper.:cool:

any links to his build?

or videos?

his name wasn't popping up.

then again what was his name? lol:D

seriously you're complaining about ECU prices and then going for head work *sigh*

i didnt realize a cylinder head was so ineffective on these cars.

and standalone ecu's ARE pricey, where have you been? Adaptronic is the cheapest ive seen. NOT to mention you gotta pay for a tune........... siggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh soooooooooooooooooooooooooo pricey.

as spf said the ecu and tune can be the priciest part of a project, and here in America most people rarely tune, mod, in any serious way a lexus sc400.
its mostly the sc300.

australia is weird in that for some reason theres a market there for a sc400/soarer v8. your lucky there black.

most the items i want are in the land of the down under mate:D