Lextreme springs?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kildea

Hi, I'm wondering if any of you have experience running these springs?
I'm interested in using them when having a set of heads cleaned up at the machine shop, and for now I'll be on stock cams, however I'd like to go to other cams in the future.
Are any of you aware of issues with greater than stock lift, or any known failures, with these springs?

They're a good spring upgrade for the money, but be sure to run the numbers and check for bind with the cams you're planning to use.

.....AND???? how how long.... How many miles ?

What is the point of upgrading to higher tension springs ?
Just higher revs ?

Or is something else of importance ?
Any increase in HP/TQ with a stock cam on a 2uz-fe motor.
Is an Upgraded cam needed to improve possible gains.

Run the std 50Lb springs... Keep rpm under 6000 rpm and you'll be fine..

Cams on these engines are VERY sedate .. Designed for high torque @ low rpm...

Yes any one with a brain will see that upgraded springs work..
More so with mild cam upgrade...

Last edited:
Yes any one with a brain will see that upgraded springs work.

Yes - still looking for answers to the 2 questions I posted, are people just not wanting to offend the seller or something?

- When installed in an early head vs late head, what are the max lifts people see before coil bind?
- Has anyone had a failure?

actually a couple of other questions, while I'm asking those - are the cam regrinds available for late model cams (vvt and 2uz) too? (I noticed someone mentioning that they were in another thread) Also, those cams are shipped back with some type of extra shims, I assume the extra shims are of a variety which fits between the valve stem and the bucket (underneath) - rather than some second shim for up top?
Edit: Ah - should have read first - so lash caps are provided ...

So I guess I'm just wondering if people are running these cam regrind with these springs? I assume so - but I'd be interested to see results from people before buying these rather than the Kelford setup - these have the obvious cost benefit, but a damaged engine can be expensive too.

Last edited:
The bind question depends a lot on the installed height of your valves, so there's not one single answer to your question. Having said that, these springs do not have quite the reserve that others do on the max lift vs installed height.

Here's a table I put together when I was evaluating different springs for my Kelford cam setup and a shim under bucket conversion:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100500&postcount=511

The bind question depends a lot on the installed height of your valves, so there's not one single answer to your question. Having said that, these springs do not have quite the reserve that others do on the max lift vs installed height.

Here's a table I put together when I was evaluating different springs for my Kelford cam setup and a shim under bucket conversion:

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showpost.php?p=100500&postcount=511

Thats a very useful chunk of info, thank you for posting it.
I am using stock valves, however after the valve job I will be adding a little space into the height - woin't know until they are in there I guess.

Cheers!

I used 2J stainless os valves and NZ2 shim-less buckets which gave me the same installed height as the 2J engine..
This being so I used 2J springs and shimmed them up to 95Lb seat and upwards of 185 at full lift.. Which is 9.6mm ...
The springs I attained are from Brian Crower with titanium retainers...
There are many different ways of doing this.. With NEW valves the clearance can be trimmed off the top of the valve stem for clearance.. With std valves you cannot do that with out some type of shimming.. IMO in my case shimming valve stem or bucket was a step backwards performance wise were we are trying to assemble the lightest valve assembly possible without blowing the budget..

The Lextreme valve springs are good for mild cam lifts ..
There have been some springs supplied [ To Kelford too ] that have been too short and too close to coil bind and have failed with cam lifts over 9.2mm ...
These springs where supplied from AU spring manufacturer.. There was no communication between spring manu / cam manu and engine assembler ...
So I guess in this case the issue is with assembler...
Just check installed height and spring coil bind !!! Especially over 9mm lift it seems..
People are pushing the boundaries more and more...
You have to add the boost you intend to run on valve spring tension also..
Especially over 15Lb or so...

Yes - still looking for answers to the 2 questions I posted, are people just not wanting to offend the seller or something?

- When installed in an early head vs late head, what are the max lifts people see before coil bind?
- Has anyone had a failure?

actually a couple of other questions, while I'm asking those - are the cam regrinds available for late model cams (vvt and 2uz) too? (I noticed someone mentioning that they were in another thread) Also, those cams are shipped back with some type of extra shims, I assume the extra shims are of a variety which fits between the valve stem and the bucket (underneath) - rather than some second shim for up top?
Edit: Ah - should have read first - so lash caps are provided ...

So I guess I'm just wondering if people are running these cam regrind with these springs? I assume so - but I'd be interested to see results from people before buying these rather than the Kelford setup - these have the obvious cost benefit, but a damaged engine can be expensive too.

I;m guessing the extra shims ?? Because the std cam was reground.. Reducing it's base circle so it needed shimming ???

I;m guessing the extra shims ?? Because the std cam was reground.. Reducing it's base circle so it needed shimming ???

Sorry I was not clear with my question - I actually answered it fopr myself and edited the orig post - but I was referring to the lash caps, it's not an important part of the question really.

My main question was just concerning the combination of these springs and the reground cams, with the included lash caps, mounted with the stock valves - I had been trying to determine if the purchase of the springs with cams from the lextreme store was a known combination, one that others had run and found to be successful in the long run.

My reasoning is mostly that I am still waffling concerning getting the kelford cams with stock base circle or a set of reground cams with the shortened base circle, but I'm having the valvejob done in the next couple of weeks so I'll need to put something in the way of springs in there now, while they are out. I want to make sure I'll be safe up to ~9.5mm lift.
Since there are several spring choices I figured I would try to find out if anyone had numbers concerning realistic bind height when these springs are dropped into otherwise 100% stock heads.

The used std springs on my motor was about 45Lb at seat which to a push rod convert is VERY low..
Yes I know 1/2 the size and weight..
There are springs out there that have issues over 9.00 / 9.2mm even though they are no where near coil bind...
I sold on the Lextreme springs and the guys TMK have had no issues with them..
The profile of the cam has a large degree of what you can use and what you can get away with..
The higher the lift the more a re-ground cam is shortened which makes geometry very hard on valve springs etc...Unless cam has some added material to it maintaining std base circle ??...
It depends what you want from your engine and how your going to drive it..
I just looked at what they are doing to the 2JGTE engine valve, valve spring wise etc...