Late model supra v8 conversion?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mirrage

Hey guys(and girls if there are some here =o),

Was looking through the threads on this website and couldn't find any information on this at all so i may as well ask and see if any body knows anything about it.

I'm looking at doing a v8 conversion to a supra, i prefer the later model supra shapes, 1993 and upwards. Just curious if anybody has tried this conversion before?
Also just what kind of work would be involved?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks for your input

Through some searching on the website i did find some information on the swap =o)

I just found out that a mk4 supra is the shape i am looking at doing the swap into.

Normally i drive around in turbo'd 4's and i was curious as to which would have the better engine specs. The standard say 3 ltr twin turbo supra or a mk4 supra with a lexus v8 in?

What would be the major differences in feel?

Also having a browse i can only find rather expense shell cars. Would it be worth while maybe paying 10k - 12k for a modified twin turbo mk4 supra and using some of the aftermarket mods (ie turbos, intercooler, brakes, and so forth) to modify the v8?

Would that way work out a little cheaper?

Look forward to your suggestions

Not sure if I understand your questions completely, but here's a stab at a few answers:

You can make lots of power fairly cheaply with the late model Supra's 2JZ-GTE motor. Over the course of a weekend, for under $7500 USD you can transform the car from 320 BHP to nearly 800 BHP. Aftermarket go fast parts are available for this motor from half a dozen big import tuners.

Making power with the 1UZ or 2UZ is expensive and the selection is not that good yet. However the UZ family has something the 2JZ will never have, and that's displacement, which translates to more low end torque.

The MKIV Supra's biggest failing IMHO, (and I've owned three of them) is low end torque. It's a heavy car for a 3 litre motor to get launched, which is probably why Toyota went to the sequential twin turbo system, instead of just a single turbo as they did with the previous model. Slipping a 1UZ motor in there in place of the 2JZ cures that low end problem, and then the top end just needs to be addressed with a FI system.

So if you want power on the cheap, stay with the 2JZ motor, but if you're looking for something fairly unique, then consider the 1UZ swap, but bring plenty of money to the table, and be prepared for a long wait, as bolt-on stuff isn't available in quantity yet.

Ok so i am always one for a challange so i might go with the v8 swap.

Anyone care to list all the parts i will need? (btw never done this before so the more detail the better please =o)

Also any advise or can anyone link how to actually go about the swap from start to finish?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

There's no cookbook on how to do this, nor a BOM of everything that you need. It's just too new a swap - we're all feeling our way through this and some are further along than others.

There's a finished swap in the UK - do a search for posts by Thor Racing - he's put a naturally aspirated 1UZ into his Supra.

There's also at least one finished swap in Oz and here's a YouTube video page of it: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Vantage88

There's one finished in the US, and "several" that are ongoing.

The search feature on this forum is your friend.....