How about just a 75-100 wet shot on a 98 vvti v8?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scfou

My sc400 needs more power. I'm not satisfied with 290hp, well maybe 300 with the newly customized exhaust. I would like to drop a 75-100 shots of wet zex nitrous but I've heard people say the 1uz vvti can't handle the additional hp due to weaker rods compared to the non-vvti motors. Is this true? Would this really be a problem? I don't want to supercharge or turbo it either.

Not so much as cost, but I've owned a sc300 i6 before, and have added turbo to it. It's a pita and I always have pop open the hood to tighten this and that, etc.. Secondly, I hate having to deal with smog checks because I always seem to get the ones that are test only,:mad:. And that is the whole reason I choose a 98 sc400 vvti because I like how it's 290hp stock. With nitrous it seems very convient because once you shut it off it's back to stock form. Plus I should have no problems smogging the car.

But what do you think though? Would 75 shot really hurt? I'll be really happy with close to 400hp crank. To me I think that's reasonable for once in a while street races.

Not so much as cost, but I've owned a sc300 i6 before, and have added turbo to it. It's a pita and I always have pop open the hood to tighten this and that, etc.. Secondly, I hate having to deal with smog checks because I always seem to get the ones that are test only,:mad:. And that is the whole reason I choose a 98 sc400 vvti because I like how it's 290hp stock. With nitrous it seems very convient because once you shut it off it's back to stock form. Plus I should have no problems smogging the car.

But what do you think though? Would 75 shot really hurt? I'll be really happy with close to 400hp crank. To me I think that's reasonable for once in a while street races.
I would never put more that a 25 shot on these puny rods..
IMG_0070.jpg

Just me personally.

Great info and does look like a significant difference in size. But I still think 75-100 should be okay. The Lextreme's are massive, whoa... Very nice.

I think a small 60-75hp bump would be fine on most engines. You would want to run a window switch and cut it off well before redline.

Before nitrous I would get headers, K&N intake system and a SAFC/NEO and get it tuned. Those items should give you another 30rwhp or so maybe more.

My only concern with the NOS is that it's such a hard hit....i'd want to use the newer kits that bring on the nitrous gradually (relatively speaking) to reduce the sudden hp increase on those rods.

Adding 12.5 more hp on each rod for another 100hp, which in my case would be adding just a little over 9 hp to each rod on a 75hp shot. But that's if it is in fact balanced that way.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have run a 150 wet shot on a late model 1uz with the skinny rods without a problem.in a hilux it ran a best of 11.58 at 112 over the quarter with slicks and launching with the gas as i went full throttle.

cheers, Al.

That great! Just what I wanted to hear. I may also get the progressive controller, which I can start off with a lower shot at 3k rpm to a full 75 shot at higher rpms. I assume this is what the progressive controller is all about right? Thanks so much everyone.. But let's keep talking about nitrous.

I've found a lot of vvti 1uz running up to 150hp shots of nitrous, so I'm pretty sure a 75hp shot for my V8 is nothing. However, I will be using a msd window switch in addition to a progressive controller for added safety. I will set the msd to go off at 3K and cut at 5.2K just so that the stock auto has enough time to shift regularly. As for the progressive controller I have no idea how to set it. I know it's ideal function is to add a small shot at the beginning and eventually a full shot after a higher rpm, just so that the 1uz motor does not take a hard hit suddenly which can break the rods. But sometimes it's the hard punch that's fun about running nitrous