Head flow rates.

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MikeMan

Hi all

Has anyone had a 1UZ head on a flow bench?

I am looking for flow rates every 0.050" to 0.600".

I have some engine simulation software that is pretty good, I have most of Kelfords cams input now and the head flow is the last item I need before I can build an accurate model for the engine.

Regards
MikeMan

I have some figures published in Autospeed.

Inlet.

Lift .050 .100 .150 .200 .250 .300 .350
Flow 24.2 51 77.1 96 113 121 134 CFM

Exhaust

Lift .505 .100 .150 .200 .250 .300 .350
Flow 18.4 36.3 57.2 66.4 74.1 81.7 86.9 CFM

Mikeman,

Kelford cams would be a good starting point for flow.

They seem to have done some serious mods on or engine.

Those flow numbers are awful. What pressure drop was that? I have stock Honda head that flows more than that. I have a ported VW head that flows more than that through two valves.

The Stock heads are quite restrictive in line with their design parrameters.

Toyota wated a Luxo-barge engine and built one.

Honda needed a small capacity screamer and built that.

Your VW won't be stock if it can flow more than the standard Lexus.

Yes the VW is not stock, but it is 50+ years old. I would like to get my hands on a set of Lexus heads and start playing with them to see what I can get out of them. Maybe after I finish the three other projects ahead of it.

I just crated my heads, vales, springs and retainers to send them to Adelaide for porting.

I'll ask for the flow numbers to see if things have improved in the last couple of years.

Sometimes flowing huge numbers is detrimental to drivability. An N/A engine that flows disproportionately high numbers will invariably be a bitch to drive day to day.

Have him flow them at 28in of water. Don't let him flow them at 10in and try and convert that to 28in. If his bench can't handle that then I would seriously consider taking your business elsewhere. Huge flow numbers can indeed be a detriment if the port is just hogged out with no regard for port velocity. If velocity is taken into account then the clow goes back up as well as drivability.

Of course you could always spin your engine to 10 zillion rpm and just drive around at 7000rpm in first gear all the time. NAH, thats probably a bad idea.