Graft Lexus front onto Zephyr ute

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kpwemu

In my latest research development on 1UZing my Zephyr ute, it has been put to me that I should consider grafting the Lexus half cut onto the front of the ute. This would solve the complicated issue of fitting evrything into the Zephyr engine bay and it would allow me to use all the Lexus luxuries that would normally have to be thrown away. This has not been discussed at length, but simply put forward as an idea worth exploring. I believe this would consist of removing the Zephyr outer guards and virtually cutting away the front section of ute. Basically, the Lexus half cut would then have the outer guards removed and the two sections joined at the chassis rails, retaining the whole Lexus engine bay intact, complete with all the Lexus front end components. Then somehow ( I still don't know how this is possible) attach the Zephyr outer guards back onto the Lexus inner guards as well as rejoining the grille, lights, bumper etc. It would obviously mean fabricating sections so that the bits can be joined together. I'm told that this is possible, and should pass an engineer's inspection (in Victoria Australia ) as cars this age don't have to comply with our strict ADR rules. The biggest problem is that the track width of the Lexus is 21 cm wider than the Zephyr. They said this can possibly be overcome with different offset wheels. The body width of the Lexus is only 6 cm wider than the Zephyr. I like the idea, but I'm very sceptical as to whether it will work. I don't fancy the idea of going over a bump and my car splits in half. I have seen an advertisement for a company in Victoria that grafts Holden fronts onto 55-57 Chevs so I guess that it must be possible. Anyone tried it? I'm keen to get opinions. Kevin

G'Day Kevin

I'm new to this site but my currant project is in a very similar vein. I'm fitting an entire front cut from a Celsior to my XP ute.
I'm well into it with the old front chopped off right up to the top of the firewall and back to foward of the A pillar.
I have fitted the Celsior front and am currantly grafting both pillars before I start on the firewall and floor.
Its not for the fainthearted but I spent a lot of time measuring and comparing first before I made the decision.
My main areas of concern were the track width which will just fit in under the gaurds with big offset rims. Radiator to grille clearance is also very tight as I plan to run the A/C that came with the cut also.
Everything else seems to be falling it place.
There are a multitude of considerations which you can only work through as you get to them.
From memory I think the Zephyr track is narrower than the early Falcon and this would bring your project undone as you would lose all the advantages of this conversion if you had to do massive mods to the suspension but don't trust my memory, do all the maths first and it might fit.

For all the early Falcon fans my ute had already had a damaged front so it didn't bother me butchering it. I did try fitting the UZ to the original bay and it will not squeeze in without cutting the towers. It will fit happily and be quite a neat conversion if you use the RRS strut kit but that was beyond my budget.
I will start a post in the conversions by the mentally deranged thread with some photos if anyone is interested.
See'ya Chris

Hi Chris, I've been off line for a while and haven't had the chance to respond to your reply. This is the latest. My constructer has planted another seed into my already confused and overloaded ( and very small ) brain. He is now looking into whether virtually the entire Lexus front cut can be grafted onto the Zephyr, that being the dash, instruments, steering wheel etc, the lot being included. That means that the ABS brakes, suspension, engine mounts, sump, steering etc etc will be utilised. No need to make custom engine mounts, brakes, exhaust, brackets for this and that. Everything is already in place. Keeping in mind that the Lexus was a very highly refined vehicle, it would transform 1950s technology Zephyr into supreme quality. This is what I really want as I'm not looking to build a racer. He suggests that if it is possible (still to be determined), it would basically mean cutting the Zephyr off at the bottom of the windscreen pillars (leave the scuttle panel), remove the firewall / dash and cut the rest off at about under the driver's seat. Then somehow??? join virtually everything in the front cut onto the Zephyr. If this is possible, I'd be thrilled as I love the thought of having Lexus quality but looking like a Zephyr ute on the outside. think of it, climate controlled air con, air bag safety maybe, possibly satellite navigation, you know, all the luxuries in the Lexus. He believes this could??? be cost effective rather than trying to squash everything into the Zephyr engine bay. Imagine trying to work out where everything goes, measuring, trial fitting, take it out again, measure it again. I'm sure you know what I mean. When paying top dollar per hour for labour, you can see how this will quickly add up. grafting the Lexus front onto the Zephyr sounds like a nightmare (could still be ) at least everything is already fitted into the Lexus engine bay. It may even be more economical to cut and shut. As for the front width, at this stage he still thinks that by using the correct offset width rims, the wider Lexus track width can be overcome. Where are you in Brisbane as I have a few commercial interests there? Regards, Kevin

kpwemu said:
This is the latest. My constructer has planted another seed the entire Lexus front cut can be grafted onto the Zephyr, . He suggests that if it is possible (still to be determined), it would basically mean cutting the Zephyr off at the bottom of the windscreen pillars (leave the scuttle panel), remove the firewall / dash and cut the rest off at about under the driver's seat. Then somehow??? join virtually everything in the front cut onto the Zephyr. ? Regards, Kevin
IF this can actually be done and engineered, this would be in my opinion an amazing feat and should get plenty of interest from most people who apreciate engineering skill.
keep on thinking out loud as it gives us all much needed inspiration and ideas