front main seal leak! what to do????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

sonbum1

My front main seal in my 90 LS is leaking. I replaced my timing belt about a year ago so it ain't time for another one. I'm wondering if there is any other maintinace I could do to justifiy repairing the seal, make it worth the cost of having it all stripped down. I really hate the oil spots.

sonbum1 said:
My front main seal in my 90 LS is leaking. I replaced my timing belt about a year ago so it ain't time for another one. I'm wondering if there is any other maintinace I could do to justifiy repairing the seal, make it worth the cost of having it all stripped down. I really hate the oil spots.
If you're positive about the front main seal that caused the problem, then you would save time and money later by replacing the camshaft seals, water pump (even though they rarely break down but its price is cheap), and tensioner bearings now. If you think for the timing belt that costs around $40 wouldn't be a problem in your pocket, then you should replace it, too. Otherwise, it'll last for more than 60,000 miles. Or in my case, it lasted for 135,000 miles. If I didn't change it, it'll last some more until it breaks down. No harm, just be stranded.

How bad is the leak? If not bad, you can keep on driving and make sure you have enough oil in your motor and change the seal along with others all at once.

1990 LS 400 with 193K

I lived with a front main seal leak for 40K until one day it finally started to leak bad enough that it would leave a pool of oil when I parked it. I took it to my local trusted shop, and had the following done: replaced front seal and camshaft seals, new water pump and tensioners, and a new timing belt. I hope not have to mess with it for another 60K miles.
At the same time, not related at all with the seals and since it was already in the shop, I had them replace my starter. What a difference a new starter makes. My old stater was on its way out. At times it would do nothing when I tried to start the car, but with enough tries, my old starter would eventually catch and turn the engine over. It never left me stranded but it was enough that my wife never wanted to drive it.
Total, it cost me $1700. The car was in the shop 3 days. I am satisfied that it was money well spent. If you did it yourself, it should be slightly less than half the price.