Engine Swap Wiring Conversions by Phoenix Tuning

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Dr Tweak

Hi everyone, I'm Dr Tweak from Phoenix Tuning, we're located in Savannah, GA. Many of you probably already know me, but if not, check out our website at http://www.phoenixtuning.com/. I put this thread in the swap section because that's what we're all about... engine swap wiring, to be more specific. If any of you guys doing swaps need some help, feel free to post in this thread, email me at [email protected], or give us a call at 404-474-4573.

:hail:1UZ

Interesting; have you actually done a 1UZ swap yet, or (re)built a harness for one?

I'm swapping a 1UZ into a MKIV Supra and am still undecided whether to use my existing 2JZ harness and try to adapt it, or pick up an SC400 harness and adapt that. Certainly the 2JZ harness fits the car very well, but the SC400 harness would fit the motor better. Pros & cons.

I'll need to keep the ECU end as per the MKIV Supra for the EMS I'm running.

It's funny you mention that, I actually just had a harness conversion come through the shop, 1UZ into an MK3 Supra. What EMS are you running?

-Doc

Hey Doc,

Welcome to this site. I am sure our members will find you very resourceful...... and thank you for supporting our site....

Okay, well the good news is that the 1UZ uses the same ECU plugs as the 2JZ, so it will physically plug into the box. The bad news is that the EMS is going to have to be reconfigured and retuned for the 1UZ, it will NOT run the engine on the 2JZ configuration. That said, your best bet would be:

Pull the 2JZ harness
Locate a 1UZ harness
Send them both to me for a plug and play conversion
Install the harness
Retune the AEM

Voila!

Several of us are doing this conversion so we've been in touch with AEM, and one of their engineers was kind enough to develop a base config file for the 1UZ motor, so that part is done.

Regarding the harnesses, are you proposing to whack the ECU end off the 1UZ harness, whack the ECU end off the 2JZ one, and join them together?

How do you do your wire splicing as/when it's necessary - do you solder, crimp, etc.?

Would like to hear more details about your process, and see some pics of your work.

Ah good, that's taken care of then.

Not exactly. The 2JZ and 1UZ harnesses have significant differences both in how the engine wiring is done and how they interface with the body. To put it simply, we will strip the 2JZ harness and carefully extract the chassis-related wiring, including any a/c or other auxiliary functions, then strip the 1UZ harness and remove the equivalent part, and then interface the two pieces back together to make it all plug and play perfectly.

To join the wires, we use the same method that Toyota does at their factory with one improvement. Toyota connects all of their splices and terminals by using a non-insulated metal crimp, which is crimped with a large ratcheting device. We use this same style except that we take the extra step of using heat-shrink tubing on all connections, which insulates and protects the joins. The crimps are so strong that if you attempt to rip it apart, the wire itself will physically tear before the crimp fails!

The reason why we (and Toyota) do not solder connections is because soldered wire is very brittle. While the connection is good, in a high heat/high vibration application (like an engine bay), movement on a soldered join will cause cracking, breakage, and eventually a bad connection. However, for the average do-it-yourselfer, soldering is much better than using cheap insulated butt connectors, or just twisting the wires together.

Here are some before, during, and after pics of our work.

This is a wiring harness that was already "done" by someone else. We charge extra for harnesses that have been damaged, cut, or severely modified like this one.

before.jpg

Mostly wired up:

during1.jpg

during2.jpg

Completed and/or installed on the engine:

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after3.jpg

after4.jpg

Hey Doc,

Welcome to this site. I am sure our members will find you very resourceful...... and thank you for supporting our site....

Thanks for the welcome!

-Doc

Hehehe, that's what I wanted to see and hear :)

Do you have access to Toyota's male & female pin & sleeve connections as shown in their Wiring Harness Repair Manual, and do you use the ratchet type crimping tools? Reason I ask is that I'll be using some Supra parts on the 1UZ and will want to transfer the OEM connections with them.

When you have to add conductors in a harness or splice in a bit of wire, what sort of wire do you use?

Do you provide any sort of documentation for a new harness?

Hehehe, that's what I wanted to see and hear :)

Do you have access to Toyota's male & female pin & sleeve connections as shown in their Wiring Harness Repair Manual, and do you use the ratchet type crimping tools? Reason I ask is that I'll be using some Supra parts on the 1UZ and will want to transfer the OEM connections with them.

When you have to add conductors in a harness or splice in a bit of wire, what sort of wire do you use?

Do you provide any sort of documentation for a new harness?

:) I'm glad that you understand that. Many people have heard on the internet so many times that soldering is better than anything else, and when they hear that I use crimps, they think that it's not as good as soldering, which as you know isn't the case. I think maybe they picture those cheap insulated butt connectors or something, I know it wasn't until I was in the business for a couple years that I heard about this crimping system from Norwood Autocraft.

I don't have a setup to use the OEM Toyota pins, though I have a great interest in doing that. I personally have tried many times to get access to them but even Toyota doesn't know much about it. In fact, when their techs need to repair a circuit, they order a "repair pin" which is a pre-crimped pin with about 6 inches of wire on it, then they splice the wires together.

The type of crimps we use is similar to what you'll see in a Toyota harness where they join three or more wires together, then they tape it over. We use a crimp like that, and yes, we use the ratcheting crimper that is specifically designed for that application.

What I would do for you is cut off the OEM Supra connectors that you want to use, and then connect them using heat-shrank crimps... unless the pin styles are the same, then I can repin the plastic connector housing. (Many times that is the case). Actually, now that I re-read your post, that may have been what you were asking, and yes, we do a LOT of re-pinning. In fact, we stock most Toyota connectors here because on certain harnesses they break a lot, knowing about Supras I'm sure you know that the coil plugs almost ALWAYS break, well we keep those housings in stock and automatically offer to replace them when a 1JZ or 2JZ harness comes through the shop.

The wire we use for replacing or extending circuits is chemically cross-linked polyethylene, which operates between temperatures of -49F to +257F without melting or fusing, and is resistant to oil, grease, gasoline, acids, solvents, etc. (Meets or exceeds SAE specifications J1128). We use the GXL version which is the thin-insulation design, we haven't had the need to go to the TXL extra-thin, but we do prefer it over the SXL standard jacket because when you have a couple hundred wires coming together, it makes a difference in the thickness of the bundle. We always match or exceed the gauge of the circuit we're repairing or extending, meaning if it was originally a 18 gauge, we might use an 18 gauge or a 16 gauge, but never a 20 gauge. (We stock almost every color and normally match the base color of the wire that we're repairing/extending).

We provide documentation for any wiring that the end user needs to hook up, such as an ECU plug that comes directly from the chassis to the ECU. I personally also consider my wiring harnesses to have a lifetime warranty, which simply means that when you get your harness, it will work and will not give you a problem, if there is a problem, I will fix it with you over the phone or you can send it back for a free repair. (With the well over 125 conversions that we've done over the last 16 months or so, we had minor problems with 2, which were taken care of).

We also are a dealer for Dakota Digital and stock their SGI-8 Tach Adapter box, which allows you to configure the tach signals of different ignition systems to a stock tach (prime example would be a 2JZGTE swap into an SC300). The tach boxes are $69 plus $39 for installation, shipping is included when you buy it with a harness conversion.

If you have any other questions just let me know! :)

Hey Doc,

Would you be consider creating a plug and play adaptor harness from Autronic SM4 to the SC400?

Yes I sure would. On Monday I will call Autronic and talk to them about it. You're looking for a "plug and play" adapter harness to go from the stock SC400 ECU plugs to the Autronic ECU plugs, correct?

-Doc

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 17
  • header.jpg
    header.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 6
GXL XLPE is good stuff; what do you use for shielded cabling?

I think if you can find the OEM for Toyota's connectors you'll have it cracked. It might be Deutsche, but I know for sure it's not Delphi.

Regarding David's question, I'm really surprised there aren't more adaptor harnesses on the market. Why aren't people like yourself building "Fields" type jumpers for the most popular ECU's to adapt them to the most popular chassis? Then people can clip out the wires, or repin the harnesses as needed. By doing this owners wouldn't have to hack an OEM harness, and thereby create a nightmare for the next owner.

I'll be in touch soon with my requirements for a harness and we'll go from there. Thanks for all the tech info and good luck!

Update: I spent part of the day yesterday on the phone with Ray Hall (Autronic) and will be a dealer for them shortly. Today I'll be contacting some of the companies that supply Toyota wiring connectors and I'll see if I can't put something together.

In the meantime, if anyone needs any Autronic parts, just let me know. Also, IF you want the Autronic unit wired up to your wiring harness and you don't care about being able to go back to the stock ECU, you CAN send me your 1UZ (or whatever) wiring harness and I can wire the Autronic ECU plugs into it for you.

Stay tuned.

-Doc

Okay more good news. I have sourced the female ECU plug housings for the 1UZ ECU, and they will be here shortly. Then I will have everything that I need to make a plug and play jumper harness!

I will be making these for any other engines that may be needed as well, so just let me know!

-Doc

Good Doc,

I am glad you and Ryan communicated. I might need to send you my harness very soon....

Attachments

• GT40-BMW 019 (Medium).jpg
    GT40-BMW 019 (Medium).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 34
  • GT40-BMW 024 (Medium).jpg
    GT40-BMW 024 (Medium).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 47
  • GT40-BMW 034 (Medium).jpg
    GT40-BMW 034 (Medium).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 33
Hey Doc Tweak, How are ya? Glad to see you on the forum posting up valuable tech info for us motorheads to wrap our brains around...It is exciting to find you doing this in the USA...We sure have needed you.

I enjoyed our conversation the other day, and will be shipping off my harness to you soon...

Sweetness, pure sweetness!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

I agree...I have emailed Doc a couple times the past week and he was very responsive.

I am planning on a 1UZ swap into a 1993 2wd Hilux 5 speed.

Okay well more good news, I received the female ECU plugs from the company that makes then and they are indeed the correct ones. Which means that I can now put together a harness for whoever might need one asap!

-Doc