Custom Ring & Pinion set?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Anyone know of a good gear shop that would be willing to do a one-off ring & pinion set at a "semi-reasonable" price?

The Supra 6spd diff was only available with a 3.13 ratio in the US, and a 3.27, for the JDM & Euro markets.

I think a 2.92 or something close would be a sweet ratio, especially for a repowered Supra that finally has some balls in the lower rpm range.

Richmond in the US aren't interested unless I want 100 of them. Albins in Oz apparently feel the same way.

Thanks David, but the diff for the 6spd TwinTurbo is kind of an oddball. I don't think it was used for any other applications. (I could be wrong about this point and would be very pleased to find out I am.)

This diff is bigger than the other Supra diff's - it actually has a 220mm ring gear instead of the "normal" 200mm, and I believe it has 47 teeth, with a 15 tooth pinion gear.

And of course, its an LSD (torsen, not clutch type).

The Supra market is huge so once the benefits are shown whoever does this for you will have a very saleable product.

happy to provide my own 2.92:1 experience to help convince doubters of the merits od a tall diff

Thanks Justen, I wish I could convince a few people in the industry about the desireability and saleability of this.

I've been in touch with no less than 8 gear shops in 4 countries, and am not getting anywhere at all. Nearly everyone wants an order for at least 100 sets.

The guys who are experts on the repair of Toyota diffs are stumped too. Apparently no one makes aftermarket gears for these big Supra diffs.

Just for reference, here are the people I've contacted so far:

Richmond (USA)
Albins (OZ)
CMS (USA)
Quaife (UK)
Precision (USA)
JAWS (USA)
ZUK (USA)
ATS (Japan)

Perhaps if we could find out where else this big LSD diff is used (other car manufacturers) we'd have a better chance of finding different ratios. Anyone happen to know who makes these diffs for Toyota? Wonder if Getrag are the vendor?

Still hoping to find a small specialty gear house either in the UK or maybe Oz that would do one of these. I know they're out there somewhere; I just have to find them.

John, I cant remember the name, but there is a place that will do one-off gears for anything or so they advertised and I want to say that they are in TX too. I clearly remember that they said just send them gear set and tell them what ratio you want and they will make it. Its been a few years (back in my RX7 and rotary days) since I had seen their add and dont remember where I say it, but im gonna try to find it again for you, but you might ask around locally cause I am pretty positive that they were in TX.

Chris, thanks for those references, I'll check them out.

I've also had a contact from a custom gear maker near Austin, TX called High Performance Gear and I'm investigating them too.