Crushing 1UZ's

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

skid

A rather unbelievable tale.

I've been searching ebay UK for Soarer breaking (parting out) as I need a rear sump and a number have some cars in stock, but....

They strip the cars of any quick selling bits and then crush the body with the engine in!!! I thought I'd be able to steal a few engines nice and cheap. Bizarrely they want strong money for the engines.

The reason?

It's business really. They're not prepared to pull the engines out and store them as they don't sell well. So therefore when I phone wanting one it means a load of work pulling it out just for me, rather than off the shelf. Therefore they want strong money or they crush it.

It just seams a bizarre crying shame!!!

Attachments

• DSC01341.jpg
    DSC01341.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01340.jpg
    DSC01340.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01329.jpg
    DSC01329.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01331.jpg
    DSC01331.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01332.jpg
    DSC01332.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • e408c316.jpg
    e408c316.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01339.jpg
    DSC01339.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC01333.jpg
    DSC01333.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
This strikes a chord with me since I worked as a mechanic and owned a business for 3 years selling parts. Sounds pretty damn lazy to me! It doesn't surprise me at all considering the flavor of people that are in the auto recycling business to begin with. I think people at wrecking yards are tired of dealing with phone calls from people that don't put their money where their mouth is. Without a doubt I'm sure the person on the phone has seen customers make special requests and then back down from the deal.

The best trick? Take the cash in hand to the business and let them smell it. That's the only language they speak. If you show a commitment financially (even though it may be small which is the idea) they will accommodate you usually. Over here in California they instantly drop a very large percentage off the price and start drooling when they see cash because they just pocket the money, I'm sure of it.

If they are crushing on every now and then you would think that they would pull one if they had a reasonable deposit and they knew the engine would not have to be stored. I could pull one out in less than an hour WITHOUT cutting the wires, breaking the rubber engine mounts by yanking it out, breaking off the o2 sensors, breaking off the exhaust flange studs, bashing in the oil pan or robbing parts off of it and selling it to other people accidentally.

FYI all of this happened to my engine that was pulled for me at a wrecking yard by a guy who promised me everything would be perfect and promised he would send anything I needed out of the car that I would need in the future. I played the sucker and thought I got a deal on this engine and 5 months later I'm still gathering parts that I didn't get from him!! I'm restraining myself from ranting anymore!! Just be very careful when you buy an engine from a wrecker and explain that you need everything around the core of the engine in good working condition. Haha at least I have my good health.

If you can buy a front cut from a wrecker and save yourself a TON of hair pulling and most important - your time. I would have gladly paid twice the amount that I paid, for a front cut. If you don't get everything you need with the engine you will have to pay premium from the salvage yards OR you will have to wait for the right people to be selling their spare parts on Ebay. This takes a long time waiting for the parts at lower prices. Once you pull the engine you can chop the rest of the front half with hand tools and throw it in the trash.

Good luck and don't buy anything if you have a bad feeling about it. There are many engines out there.

All wise words indeed.

I only need a :censored: ing rear sump and (to be fair) no one is interested unless I can take the whole engine, and then I have to take it out of the body myself! And the best bit is they haven't got any lifting gear! ! ! !

It appears even junk yards want the easy life now and if they can't take a part off and get it on ebay in 5 minutes and without breaking a finger nail or getting their hands dirty, they ain't interested!

Heh, I was wondering if you actually needed only a sump as some people describe the whole engine with those words. Those lazy bastards. :chairshot:

I would recommend scouring the classifieds on forums for someone parting out the engine, cleaning out their garage of parts etc etc. I found a hard to get pulley assembly off a 2UZ engine off of a forum yesterday with a little searching in some forums. I would much rather donate some money to someone's project or family then giving a dime to a wrecking yard. Plus a private seller will actually care about packaging and send you the bolts and oil pickup tube that you might need :33:

I pulled my front sump off my LS400 engine last weekend and it wasn't too bad, but then the engine was on a stand and spun 180 degrees! ;) I didn't have to bend once! ha ha

As it happens it was a pig and to get through Toyotas sealing compund I ended up using a stanley knife as it stuck like **** to a blanket!

M

The easiest way to take out the sump or the oil pan is to use a torch and burn the silicon for about 10 minutes and the whole thing comes right off.

Skid you are in the UK right? Where was this place? Would they be willing to just sell whats left of the car and engine in place real cheap if I could take it away on a trailer (ie. the engine in the car)?

I'm starting to look for engines but the easiest way so far seems to be finding old LS400's which seem to go for rediculous cheap on autotrader or something and then just stripping the engine out myself and ebaying whats left of the car or something....

Mate PM me and I'll send you my number and we can talk this through. We might be able to help each other out on this.

I can give you the breaker in question who is in London.

Just thinking I don't mind helping you out at the yard pulling the engine from the car if you don't mind swapping sumps after??? If it's even easier we can swap whole engines. Mine is part stripped (but heads are still on and internals not touched yet) if that makes life any easier??

Cheers
Mark

Skid you are in the UK right? Where was this place? Would they be willing to just sell whats left of the car and engine in place real cheap if I could take it away on a trailer (ie. the engine in the car)?

I'm starting to look for engines but the easiest way so far seems to be finding old LS400's which seem to go for rediculous cheap on autotrader or something and then just stripping the engine out myself and ebaying whats left of the car or something....

dude just use find a part ;) say you want a sump and wait for someone to come back to you with one
:)