Cooling Facts?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Philly#1 Lex

In preping for FI for my 1uz SC4 and in lieu of lextreme's overheating "head cracking" demise. I have really been trying to sort through threads and see whats all the best and most needing things in preparing for a Twin/Single Turbo motor as far as cooling goes. I think it would be cool to have a fact ("sticky") to tell potential DIY'ers personal experiences and what works. Here is what I have come up with so far. Feel Free to add/critic or whatever.

1) Intercooler. As we all know Air/Air intercooler should be sized on your HP goals. Although most people just get the biggest they can find/fit. Is biggest all way's better? For my twin project with a goal of 500-550rwhp a think a 31X12X4 rated for 1000hp or 800 cubic ft per min. Even though I want only 500 rwhp, I plan on more in the future. Plus the SC4 has a healthy amount of room for a intercooler.

2) Aluminum Radiator. Usually flows better than stock( Never seen stock radiator flow rates) And are general up for the cooling challenge of a FI motor. I have heard about either Fluidyne or Koyo. Whatever your preference. Plus our Stock radiator(SC400) tend crack with higher mileage & higher years. So good insurance as well.

3) Oil Coolers: As I was reading other threads and from some knowledge I have acquired along the way, Oil coolers are almost a must. Oil coolers provide cooler oil for your Turbo. They should be sized as well to your HP needs. Oil coolers generally provide better protection for your turbo. I also was reading that it a good practice as well to cool your engine oil before it gets to the turbo. Has anyone every tried those dual coolers for jegs? Anyway hopefully someone can give more insight on those questions

4) Electric Fans: Very useful. Take the useless hydraulic fan and dump it. Twin electric fans provide As much or more cooling than your hydraulic fan and saves you some ponies to be used in other places. Puts a little more stress on the electrical system. If you have a system; Hids; and other electrical devices it is probably a wise idea to upgrade your altenator at the same time. Lextreme and other companies offer a 175 amp alternator that should be about to take care of your new found electrical needs. I wish chrisman could fab a smaller alternator with same wattage like on rdm TT SC400?

5) Thermostat: Lextreme's idea of using a lower thermostat to help with cooling is another benefit as well. Maybe he can chime in and give more of the pros to using one? I saw in his writeup he was using the AC fans to cool part of his intercooler because it was blocked by his LS400's bumper.

Anyway if anyone has anything to add it would be great and helpful. I to need to know is there anything else I could be doing to keep my car running as cool as possible. Thanks

To help it run cool it's desirable to have the airflow out of the intercooler directed away from the radiator.

You want to coolest air going into the radiator you can get. Pre-heated intercooler air into the radiator won't help your cause.

Additionally block up all holes that allow the air to bypass the radiator. You want every particle of air going in the grille to pass thru the radiator.