Control arm bushing replacement options: 90 LS400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

new2mud

OK, so from what I have gathered, these are the options available:

1. Daizen polyurethane bushings. Pros: cheap, easiest to replace. Cons: squeak squeak, and possible adverse effect on ride harshness?

2. Vlamos. Pros: great ride, maintain trademark Lexus NVH. Cons: more difficult to replace, $$$. Only available for upper control arm bushings?

3. OEM replacement? Is this really an option, or only on later gen LS400?

Has anyone had experience with *both* Daizen and Vlamos that can report with a longer-term report?

Lextreme--you have posted on other boards that you would be trashing your Daizens to get the Vlamos bushings--have you done this yet?

Other options

Hey guys, was just searching for options here about my 1990 LS400 general looseness in the suspension and steering area which is really robbing me of my Lexus experience. Understandably the car is old but I still believe there is life yet in her.

Anyway this is a bit technical so anyone with some mechanical experience will be great. I looked at Vlamos bushes and all-round seem to be a obvious solution to tighten things back up with the best lexus experience, the problem for me is that it costs a bomb to get all the suspension bushes & steering bushes.

Then I looked at Daizen's soft polyutherene bushes, understandable they aren't as good as vlamos rubber bushes but promise to tighten the car up even further. But you'll get un-lexus noise and some harshness normally not associated with LS400s.

Howabout I was thinking of mixing and matching with these options:
- What say we replace the upper arm bushes with vlamos ones to maintain that nice cushy Lexus feel
- Then we change the lower control arm, steering rack, roll bar bushes with daizen ones.

I'm guessing the daizens for control arms, steering and roll bars will help tighten the car up significantly, with maybe a bit of squeeling. With the upper arm being vlamos types will retain the cars comfort and keep harshness down coz most of the weight is on the upper arms, the lowers are just for control right?

I may be flawed in the analysis and all insights from members are welcomed.

Thanks!

Ryan Parker

I had used the Daizen for both upper & lower arms on my SC400, not the LS. The ride was so harsh and squeaking all the time. The reality is many of Daizen users had the same problems as I do. I had to ditch the Daizen lower bushinngs and went with the rubber ones. The ride has become a lot better. I didn't lose the Lexus ride, but I also lost it to a Honda ride. Well, but not to ditch all Daizen quality; it gives really good firm handling around corners & lane changing. I believe the Daizen is more for tracks. If you want to do it right, then do it from the beginning to save you time & money.

steve--thanks for the input. When you say you switched from Daizen to rubber, do you mean Vlamos, or other?
I mean from other brand. This guys only makes for the SC, otherwise, I'd recommend you to him. If comparing between the cost of "labor" to replace bushings + the bushings, you might consider buying the brand new arms as well. I've heard it'd cost around $500 - $700 for just the labor. And then, you'll still have to pay for the bushings that end up around $1K.

I did the swap of the bushings by myself so I only paid for some tools and the bushings. If I have thought or searched careful enough, I'd got the brand new arms for just a little more $$, less than $100. The new arms have the new balljoints that are also very critical. If after you paid for so much $$ for the bushings and keep the old arms and the balljoints break, then you'll have to get the new arms anyway.

Yes I did said that. However, Daizen is the only one that is really affordable. Vlamos is great but its very expensive. I have inspected the quality and its the best. However, the price might not justified if your car is just a daily driver.

Vlamos only makes a couple of bushes for the LS400.
For the rest he recommends genuine Toyota.

From memory it was about $1000AUD for almost every suspension bush (Vlamos can supply the genuine Toyota ones aswell).