Comparative 1UZ Piston Weight

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Justen, thanks for the info. I am thinking about holding a "Name That Rear Wheel Horsepower" contest for my 1UZ build project. I have a few team t-shirts for prizes. I would learn a lot (and the Members, too). What do you think? No entry fee, and assume my AEM tuner is The Genius of the Mapping Arts!

Pic of my 1UZ in the engine assembly 'clean room' . . . along with a small block Chevy 350 and a Mopar 360.

Doc

i weighed all the gear i have sitting in the workshop tonight. will collate it all and post the details tomorrow

ed_ma61, thanks for those weights. Very useful!

Has anyone here actually used the 1JZ or 2JZ valve springs in their 1UZ? If so, what mods are needed to do it the right way. I am at that point of buttoning up the motor for the last time and I have this nagging thought that I may regret not doing this (if it can be done). The racer in me says that you always replace the valve springs when you put in a bigger cam . . . . . . are the standard 1UZ springs good to 7000 rpm?

Doc

I wouldn't worry you'll be pulling it apart soon enough..
Std springs are only 40/ 50 seat presure..
kelford say 80 to 180Lb from memory...
why bother ?? You'll have to keep rpm limited to keep
reliability...

Well . . . after much hand-wringing and midnight consternation, I realized that those standard 1UZ valve springs just weren't going to do the job. At only "42-46 pounds" of seat pressure, they are a tad too light for my high lift Kelford cams at my intended 7000 rpm shift points and at the quarter mile finish line. Kelford recommends "80+ pounds" seat pressure for the 201-T1 grind. So, what to do? The racer in me said to forget the standard used 2JZ springs -- mainly because I have no way to test them, and because they are rated at "62 pounds" of seat pressure -- so I bit the bullet and purchased a new set (32) of Brian Crower #BC1300 2JZ valve springs with this specification: "Spring Pressure: Seat: 1.325" @ 80 lbs / Open: 0.980" @ 158 lbs / Coil Bind: 0.810." I will use the standard 2JZ spring retainers (used) - no need for titanium at only 7000 rpm. Imagine finding a set of Brian Crower valve springs for a 1UZ in Bangkok! Thanks Khun Mac of MacTec . . . he has everything! It looks like my shop guy Art will be pulling the heads off, replacing the springs, and re-shimming those 32 valves one more time!

If he's any good he'll be able to replace the springs without taking the head off. Making a spring compressor shouldn't be too hard and just compressed air into the cyl to keep the valves seated.