Can you take a Soarer full sump off the engine when it's still in the car??????????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

skid

Following on from this:

http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6532

I have very kindly been offered a Soarer sump but it's on a stricken car many miles from where I live and I have to remove it myself.

So the big Q is .... can the Soarer sump be removed from under the car without the engine coming out?????

I have been told it's an engine and box out job and I can't do that and the traveling on my own in 1 day.

If there is a possibility of putting the car on axle stands, dropping any crossmembers and lifting the engine a fraction off the mounts in order to slide the alloy sump and the pick up pipe out then I'll give it a go.

Guys I need definative proof here that it can be done by some one who has done it. I can't do this on a 'I think it might' guess-timate.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Yes you can but you need to take out all the supports and suspension parts and make sure you stablized the engine when the cross member is removed.

Thanks Dave,

given about 6 hours, 1 ramp, 1 wrench wielding monkey (me), and an engine support could it be done?

Do I need to lift the engine or just support it at the same level and drop everything else away underneath?

Any other pointers as I will be on a time limit, without many of my own tools and in some one elses workshop.

Thanks again.
M

If they were a standard macpherson strut suspension it would be easy.
But with the double wishbone there is a lot of suspension bolted to the crossmember.

I probably wouldn't attempt it in that timeframe without a rattle gun of sorts.

Why not just drop the engine mount bolts and pick up the front of the engine as far as it will go.

You may get enough room to get the sump out then.

There isn't a lot of work removing the engine if you have an engine crane.

It could be easier to take the entire engine than the sump.

Hmmmm...

The guy who has the car (and 2 others) is about 2 hours away from me and I think runs some kind of Toyota Import service centre and said it will take me 2 days to pull the engine and box on my own and that it's the only way to get to the sump.

I think he's being too generous with the times but having never touched a Soarer before I'm doing my homework as don't want to get caught out.
(been caught out before when I followed instincts and not the rule book, on that occasion I should have lifted the car off the engine, not the engine out of the car!:boggled: )

I'll do a bit more research over the weekend then make a decision on Monday.

It's a flipping massive amount of effort just to get a sump!
M

Many reasons not to buy, the main one being totally skint at the moment as starting a new business this year and money isnt an 'optional extra' at the moment. I've been offered one for free and trying to take advantage but there's no point starting to try and get it out if I can't see it through.

From a Dealer it's proving hard to even get a flipping quote let alone buy one as the Soarer isn't imported officially here and the dealer needs VIN and engine numbers to order from the EPC machines etc.

Second hand, as I posted before, no one is interested in putting the effort to take the engines out of the car. They just crush them in the car. If they do have an engine they wont split the sump off, only sell the whole thing and they want big money, largely to pay for the labour in pulling the engine out in the first place.

Third option is to buy from abroad (Oz/NZ/US) and pay plus all the shipping and taxes. I have done a couple of private emails here to members who expressed prior interest in a swap but no luck.

If the free one doesn't work out here in the UK I'll have to do a post in classifieds.

Hello Skid

I beleive it would be easiest to remove the motor and trans as one unit. Check that they have lifting equipment and if you are a reasonable mechanic you should get it out in about 3 hours. Radiator out first. Unplug the ECU and other plugs beside it - cut the body plug into the ECU of it has one and keep the ECU and plugs. Feed loom through the firewall. Unbolt the ignitors and airbox. Cut Alternator loom. unbolt engine mounts, transmount, driveshaft and exhaust ( the *** wreakers gas cut these) , a couple of little things - ac lines and throttle cable etc and lift it out. That way you can get a complete setup for spares.. I'm always looking for spares and someone always uses them. I know of guys who cut everything and have them out in an hour. Keeping things clean is where the time is. Also the AC gas may be a problem but someone may recover in for you at a fair price. Good luck with that. I think removing the sump in place would be a nightmare Cheers Kelvin

Thanks for the process break down Gloverman. A reasonable mechanic?

Hmmmmm.... in my own garage with my own tools and no one looking over my shouler maybe, but in some one elses workshop with borrowed tools then there's no guarantees.