Build for Torque

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

rivmasta

Hey all,

Just after some suggestions ideas for future engine upgrades.

Currently the engine is stock with twin TB and extractors, 1.5" primaries into 3" with crossover and a pair of 5" supertrapps. Its running a Haltech ECU and will be on the dyno soon.

I need torque from the 1uz, not HP and big revs to get it. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions aside from intake, exhaust and ECU to squeeze more low-end out of it.

Ive got a mate running a very similar configuration as ours in a hilux race truck and they reckon its great above 4000rpm, it really hauls ass, but a bit of a dog below 4k. With only a 3 speed its difficult to keep it in its rev range (redline at 6500) in the twisties.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Cheers,

The car will be tuned by thte same guy who did zuffens. Cant wait for that!.

Its a manual 5spd.

Stroke increase is interesting - more $$$ than Ive got at the moment (need to upgrade transaxle for next big spend!) but definately worth thinking about... what does that bring swept volume up to? How much does it shorten the redline?

You're pretty limited seeing it's really only tune you can play with. What fuels can you run? Only thing i can think of is running as much ignition advance as you can force so a good anti det fuel is needed.....E85 or any of the 105+ octance race fuels.

If it's running cams then stick the stockies back in? you can play with the cam timing too but only coarsely.

I would also ditch the twin TB......or at least deactivate one to test on the dyno.

and plenty of dyno time.

We have to run a 'pump fuel', ie, no avgas ELF etc. E85 is an interesting option - where can I get it in Syd?

Still got the stock cams in it at the moment - you mentioned playing coarsly with cam timing. Can you advance it and how far? What effect does this have on exhaust cam timing?

Gear ratios are your friend, you have a 5 speed, keeping it in the sweet band will be much easier.

Why worry too much about low torque, these engines love to rev.

Another intake option.
Swap out the lower intake manifold to a supercharger style (short runner)one as Justin did with his FI set up. Then sit the dual throttle bodies straight on top.

In this case LONG inlet runners would possibly be better...
Plenty of compression.. Tune tune tune..
Maybe good CDI ignition ??
Tuned small tube extractors ??
If anything smaller throttle body ??
A twin progressive T/B
gives better throttle response at low rpm. Giving better torque control..
Shoter gear ratio's to make use of those revs..

Hey Cobber, its an offroad racecar, need tq to pull me through sand, up hills, out of corners etc.

XR8TT - Up the compression, great idea! Is there an MLS gasket kit that could allow me to do this on the cheap? Its 10:1 stock right, 10.5:1 would still be more boomf.
Ignition upgrade is coming - I'll be putting on LS1 ignitors/coils or maybe BA Falcon COP + two 4 channel ignitors
Twin Progressive TB is future possibility too - The ECU should be able to handle the control - Im checking with haltech that it'll work with 1UZ Cruise Control motor... :)
Extractors are done and rather mid-sized at 1.5" x 42" primaries anyway.
Ratios will come with the new gearbox. At the moment 1st is so low you dont even use it to drive onto the trailer so its effectively a 4 spd.

Im thinking of playing with cam timing settings. As per another thread, the exhaust scissor cam has 3, 7, 9 deg adjustiments in it, with an adjustable intake cam gear if both were advanced 3deg theoritically I shoudl get more mid-range right?

Re E85 - the only place you can get it at the pump is one servo in nsw (parra) and one in Vic. Oh well!

Hmm ?? Can you get aviation fuel??
Trouble with raising comp ?? Is piston to valve clearance !!
mill .040 off the heads, check p/c clearance with some model clay..
No less than .080..

.040" off the heads ? Not that simple !

How are you going to get the manifold, water bridges, t/stat housing to fit afterwards ?????

Camshaft timing each bank ???

The way to get the biggest increase in torque, is bigger inlet valves, 36mm is doable and will increase torque to around 330lb/ft. Will still be around 4800 rpm though.
The only way to get it lower is to increase capacity.

I kind of guessed it was an off road racer.
Bottom line is you won't get big chunks of torque out of it without FI. Just don't let it bog down, I used to race with a TT 20b and just rev the snot out of it and let the pipes glow all day, it would have had no where near the torque of a 1uz.
Just keep busy with the gears if you need too.
Or drop in an LS3, they are going for $6,500 including clutch and gst.

Yeah, figured as much! Will be sittign on the stock setup for a while, ign and cams later. Very intrigued by 5.2L though... :)

There are other options.

* Use 3uzfe lower block
* Use 2uzfe lower block
* Stroker crank.

intrusting... 3uzfe and 2uzfe are both cast iron though arent they? No good if so, low weight is one of our advantages!

Stroker crank - suggestions? approx (very approx! haha) costs?