Black Friday @ Sears

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
Sears has a good sale for after Thanksgiving. Very tempted to head out there tomorrow morning to pick up some nice tools.

Attachments

• Dorman.JPG
    Dorman.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 251
The problem with Sears is that they keep re-inventing common tools! How many kinda of wrenches do we need? But those Gearwrench 7pc sets of wrenches are getting so cheap! I really want a full set of them though. Sears doesn't carry the smaller and larger sizes of ratcheting wrenches or I would go get some.

Now the Craftsman Edge Utility Cutter is an interesting tool I wouldn't mind picking up. :) Uses replaceable utility blades for a cutter. Pretty neat. And the Laser Thermometers are really cheap nowadays... but Harbor Freight has those pretty cheap as well....

I see there will be a laptop computer selling at Best Buys for $200.00.

It's a laptop, Celeron 2.4ghz processor, 2 gig ram, etc.. I don't like or trust Celeron processors but for that price I think most can look past that... I'm sure that laptop will sell out in a hurry regardless..

I'm too lazy and too tired at 6:00am to wait and then battle consumer lines to save a few bucks.. It's all you guys on this one...

Lex did you score any deals? I got another flexible set of Gear Wrench metric wrenches. I use them so much that it will be nice to have another set floating around the garage. I also picked up a Craftsman self propelled mower with a Honda engine for $259, what a deal. Put a little bend in the governor spring and WOohoo! turbo lawnmower.

Yeah got 3 sets of 3/8 wrench/socket kit (11 pieces) MSRP was $24.95 got them for $9.99. I also got 3 sets of 1/4" combo too. Same price. That will last 10-15 years if i dont loose them.

Whilst Craftsman tools are not available in Australia I do have a nice collection of them.

I tend to find an excuse to pass through Sears when in the States.

Over the last 20 years I've had one ratchet drive fail and Sears in Hawaii replaced it without hesitation when I returned it.

Interestingly the same drive recently developed a fault in the ratchet but it has been badly abused for nearly 20 years and will be replaced next trip to the States.

I also have their gear drive metric combination spanners and they are very nice to use.

A mate of mine, a retired aircraft engineer for QANTAS only uses Craftsman and toolboxes.

Rod,

When i get a chance in the future shipping u stuffs.. remind me to sneak some craftsmans in....

Attachments

• P080109_16.45.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 170
  • P080109_16.45[01].JPG
    P080109_16.45[01].JPG
    111 KB · Views: 170
  • P080109_16.46.JPG
    P080109_16.46.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 168
  • P080109_16.48[02].JPG
    P080109_16.48[02].JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 169
  • P080109_16.49.JPG
    P080109_16.49.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 169
  • P080109_19.53.JPG
    P080109_19.53.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 168
  • P090109_12.40.JPG
    P090109_12.40.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 166
I grew up using Craftsman tools from Sears. I had a Sears store right down the street from me when I was a young lad.. Then I got introduced to Snap-on tools by a friend in college. I must say I did prefer Snap-On tools over Craftsman for some reason.. Both are great tools though...

When I was rebuilding me engine in the engine shop I used their tools and they used Snap-On exclusively.

Never picked up so many broken/faulty tools in my life.

I ended up taking in some of my Craftsman and Repco tools for my own use.

Interestingly Repco would be the only tool maker in the world to have built an engine that won the Formula 1 Championship twice!

Repco tools look and feel like Snap-On but only cost 1/3 of the price. Never broken or damaged one.

Craftsman kicks butt. I've never broken a socket or wrench from that brand but I finally broke a couple ratchets after I purposely used them knowing no ratchet could take the abuse. But hey! They just give you a new one of your choice so it's all good. I have taken in 20yr old screwdrivers and gotten new ones. I know Cal-Trans road employees that find old beater Craftsman tools on the side of the road. They put them in a bucket and when they get a bunch of old broken tools they take them into Sears and get new ones. 90% of my tools are Craftsman and now I'm starting to become a fan of Gear Wrench. I know pro mechanics that have beaten on them for years and they actually like the old models of the wrenches that you can't get anymore. They make all sorts of affordable hand tools now and the profiles of them are similar to Snap-On. I can't stand Crap-On tools because they are so slim they can strain your hands under high pressure. I've seen them break more than other brands in auto shops. I'll make the trip to Sears thank you.

I really like the Craftsman Professional line; the wrenches have a great feel.

They're polished like the Snap-On's, but have more "meat" to them.

Last edited:
Wow, all you guys are fans of the Craftsman tools and not the Snap-Ons.. That's news to me. I guess I need to go back to the Craftsman tools eventually and dump all my Snap-Ons..:mad:

It's been years since I actually used Craftsman tools so maybe im just out of touch with them.. I really like my Snap-on tool set, they got a good feel to me.. Hmmm? I guess I need to try Craftsman again just to see the difference..:cool:

Jibby,

You won't be disapointed.

Snap-On do well in Australia because the have good finance deals for apprentices. The interest rates are stupidly high but at least the young guys can buy the tools and the truck comes to the workshop door.

I think there's a following for Snap-On because it is seen as an "elite" brand in Asutralia but there are many better out there.

if you work in a shop, you usually end up with snap on- blue point or cornwell, but it is because that guy comes to you, offers replacements just like craftsmen, and will usually give you enough credit to sink you deep into dept with him.. they make tools that others just don't have and getting on the truck is always fun, so much stuff in there...

i agree though the snap-ons are nice but way to skinny, have been or broken tools way to many time using them, i have big hands and the craftsmen stuff always works, is a good price, and i know where i can get a replacement without waiting on the driver to show up...

recently started buying Kobalt tools from Lowes, offer the same replacement policy on hand tools and seem to be a nice middle ground between snap-on and craftsmen.

u cannot beat the snap on extension sets though, they always have just the right one.

^^^ Love my Snap-on extension set.. Funny that you mentioned that.^^^^

You guys convinced me, my next tool set purchased will be a Craftsman set. Snap-On tools have worked fine for me over the years but I agree alot of the tools are too skinny in stature.

You guys made me search out for my old Craftsman tools that I haven't seen in years. I did find my old Craftsman ratchet that is maybe 20 years old and it is much more bulky and solid compared to my newer Snap On ratchet. The old Craftsman rachet still works fine, I just don't own the full set anymore..

I just thought the skinny Snap on tools would be easier to work with to get into those tight fitting places. I think I remember having those problems working on my Chevy Nova SS using the Craftsman tools decades ago and that is why I switched. There was probably a big Snap-On sale years ago that I could not pass up too at the time..

Last edited:
When I was rebuilding me engine in the engine shop I used their tools and they used Snap-On exclusively.

Never picked up so many broken/faulty tools in my life.

I ended up taking in some of my Craftsman and Repco tools for my own use.

Interestingly Repco would be the only tool maker in the world to have built an engine that won the Formula 1 Championship twice!

Repco tools look and feel like Snap-On but only cost 1/3 of the price. Never broken or damaged one.

I don't think they offer Repco here in the states. Matco tool has a pretty good reputation as far as racing, but I think it's safe to say almost all racing companies use one of the main tool distributors, Snap-On, Mac, etc. Now I'm not saying they are "better", I just know they they offer all the tool I need, and offer a lifetime warranty, and replace all of my broken stuff with no questions asked, granted I go a week without my tool, but it's replaced. With that being said, I prefer my tool suppliers over craftsmen for anything that isn't sockets and screwdrivers. I am not saying I wouldn't use them as we have tons of them laying around, and you can't beat a Sears when you need a socket on Sunday. But since I make a majority of my money with my tools, I think it's safe to say that almost all my tools aren't Craftsmen, however I have a few.