Alternator not charging... Intermittent Smoke

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

ads4095

Okay so here's my problem... 1UZ alternator light came on a few weeks back and at the same time smelt some smoke under the bonnet. Power steering pump had a slight leak so i thought that had gotten into the alt and killed it. So i rebuilt the pump and took the alt to be bench tested at the auto elec at the same time. Auto elec said Alt was fine and putting out just over 14v. After re-assembling everything alt started charging for about 1-2min and then stopped charging and also a small about of smoke was coming out the back of the alt.

I have checked wiring to alt, (s) is getting constant 12v, (ig) is getting 12v while key is on run and (l) is hooked up to the dash light.

Does this mean the alternator is stuffed?? I was convinced it was untill i took it to the auto elec the first time and it tested fine :eek13:

Also motor is in an FJ40 landcruiser and the electrical system has been running fine for about 6 months since the conversion untill now. Is there anything else i can test to diagnose the problem.. is there a way to test the regulator?

I picked up a new alternator for my 94 LS400 for $160 new including shipping from florida to canada. If it keeps this up, i'd say just buy a new one, and save yourself the time and hardship

I picked up a new alternator for my 94 LS400 for $160 new including shipping from florida to canada. If it keeps this up, i'd say just buy a new one, and save yourself the time and hardship

It isn't like that in sunny Australia.

You need to give up your lefty for an alternater.

No change out of $500-600.00

My alternator died on the way home last Thursday night, was meant to leave for the long weekend towing the caravan Fri morning :(

Anyways, luckily SSS Auto do them 2nd hand with 1 month warranty for $80 I discovered.