ae86. vvti 1uzfe. hmmmmm

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

bmx269

It has been a long damn time since I have posted here, so here goes. After killing my last built sr20 at Seattle FD 2011, I said I was done with sr20's. The last one was caused by a broken fuel pump. Stupid causes are always the most painful.

So I bought this:
IMG_20120714_181724.jpg
A 1998 GS400 VVTI 1uzfe.
Put a w58, Aluminum flywheel, ACT 6 puck clutch, custom exhaust, Haltech Platinum Sport 1000, and way too much time into this car.

I had a baby girl come into my life last Sept, so the build process was slow. But no big deal, I kept on trucking.

Here are some of the pics of the build:

Headers:
IMG_20120715_182027.jpg

IMG_20120715_182052.jpg

exhaust
IMG_20120715_194355.jpg

wiring started, also a shot of the modified cruise control to bypass drive by wire
IMG_20120814_074100.jpg

and then a video of how is sounds. The car has not been on the dyno for tuning yet, so the numbers and drivability are still unknown, but it feels torque happy. The subframe was not dropped, the tranny tunnel was just pounded a bit more then for the SR. Fun.

https://vimeo.com/51039191

Since that video, we did some street tuning, and man this car is stupid fast now. Next season will be a blast.

-Trent

Last edited:
Well, after all that stupid drama, that I got all bent out of shape for, we got some time and got the Haltech tuned. Took it to a Dyno Dynamics dyno in Richmond.
IMG_20130209_115437.jpg

IMG_20130209_132746.jpg
291hp and 300ftlbs of torque, in a 2200lb car is going to be great. The dip was smoothed out after this pic was taken, with some of the vvti timing adjustment. Overall the 4 litre engine performed excellently.

and for comparison, here is my team mate Ian's R32 Skyline with VK56 on the same dyno when it was NA. Pretty close power considering the engine is 15 years older tech and 1.6L less displacement.
IMG_20130211_123742.jpg

My car and Ian's are both using the Haltech Platinum Sport 1000. I have my redline set to 7500rpm

I also hit the track yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gQ3KyVwAHqk

-Trent

Ok, No that I have some time to write, here are some more details.

to get the VVTI 1uzfe running, and setup, it was all Bill at The Independent Speed Shop (http://indy-speed.com) and his crazy mastermind skills that got the system sorted out. For him it was not too difficult, but that is due to his years of experience. He custom created the map, as there is no base map for that engine for the Haltech ecu.

The Independent Speed Shop did a lot of custom work for me, including the exhaust from manifold back, the w58 adapter plate, and even help with other fab work, as I am not a mechanic or fabricator. Without Bill and Indy Speed's help I would have probably spent more and got less for this car.

If you want to talk to Bill about the VVTI setup or what was involved, I am sure I can get him to answer some questions for you.

Overall this engine is awesome for this car, is it the best for other cars? I can not answer that. I just regret not going v8 earlier.

-Trent

Looking at your graph is interesting. I tuned a setup in an RX7 the other day similar ideas for the overall setup running a Link Xtreme. I'm always a bit reluctant to compare dyno figures from different dynos but our results are very similar except our torque curves are mirror image at 4K. I have less below and more above where you have more down low and les up top. The engine I did has had the intake runners removed which I didnt think was a good idea. Now Im wondering if that is the difference. I want to get back onto the dyno with the car now.