Advice for reduced capacity 1uzfe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Fantapants

Hey people's.

Apologies if this is covered in depth anywhere else but I was unable to find anything specific enough.

I'm lookong to use a 1uzfe for my current project. Got the OK frontage engineer but the clincher is I have to drop capacity to below 3840...

So my plan was resleeve and use 86mm pistons which gives me 3836

A few have suggested reducing stroke rather than bore..

I'm out of my depth in this one. I'm relying on the engine builder advice. He wants to do the resleeve. But is there advantage to destroking over a reduced piston?

Engine is a daily plan with the odd fun hitout. No forced induction at any stage

Cheers for any advice

Personally I'd go with the sleeving.

The 1UZ isn't a torque monster to start with and reducing the stroke will only reduce the torque.

If you de-stroked it you would need conrods made for it.

Where are you located?

Tasmania Australia.

It's going in a small corolla lol so a small drop in outright power isn't going to blunt things too much.

In the end the guy building it does this for a living so Im gonna go with what he is happiest with. But there have been a few suggestions on improving the trod stroke ratip to help the engine rev.

But from what OK ahev been able to find, the Uz is already quite good in the bottom end for revs, it's the heads and cams that make it pointless lol

So I don't see the point in improving the bottom end in revs if I'm not doing anything up top to take advantage of it?

It depends on what "revs" you are expecting/wanting/prepared to pay for/can fit in? I run a bog standard 1uz plus ITB's, semi-decent exhaust manifolds and MS3 ecu in a TR7 and it spins to 7500+ although there is little point much past 7000 as it starts to run out of steam.

Yeah so by revs I'm meaning 9g.

I come from a small capacity background lol.

So what I meant was no point building a bottom end for 9thousnd rpm if the head and cams won't flow anything more than 7..

Just tracking down an engine for the builder to crack on with.

I happy with the decision to go reduced piston. One day I might go down cams and headwork party.... And at that point no doubt I'll consider again whether or not to bump compression backup and go for some more grunt.

The guy who will build the engine built a similar race engine for a local lad. For e85 specifically with head work, cams and 14 to 1 compression with itb, he made 285rwkw with a stock dimension bottom end up around 8 grand.

I'm not interested in e85 lol but with some lumpy cams and a bit of appropriate compression... 220 to 230 should be plenty lol.

Anyways, thanks for the reply lads. Appreciate it. Once I have some form stuff to post I'll make a thread for the project for anyone interested :)

There was a member on here who built an engine for very high revs.

He spent a small fortune and from what I've heard the car isn't being driven and it lacked any down low torque.

Possibly eds build?

The final build using the iron block had a lot of problems with bearings and oiling. The original 4l bottom end worked pretty well (from memory high 200rwkw? On pump gas?)

Once the iron bottom end spun a bearing he ran out of time and the car got mothballed. I don't know what the current owner is doing with it.

As to lack torque, #shrugs more is always good, but seriously it's a ke70 weighing in the area of 850kg... And I'm used to running 4age engines at 9g lol so "low" torque figures are very subjective lol :)

I'll never go a full-on build like eds. The car is meant primarily as a fun daily. So a competent all round engine is the goal. So mild cams and smart bottom end should see a responsive and fun engine...
Hope this makes sense...