Advanced Problem with Battery Charging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mrweekendwrench

Hi All, This is in relation to a post from another user. We seem to have the same problem. I am wondering more about the Delco One wire Alternator and its interface with a SC400. I bought a rebuilt at Kragen and had the guy test it before I installed it and on the bench test it tested good.
I am having the same problem with my SC400, as many maybe having.
I will charge the battery to 100% charge and it runs great for about 1 hour of continuous use. Then it shows symptoms of the battery not charging, it runs very lethargic and rough and then sometimes stalls or just stops dead.
What I have done.
I rewired my alternator wire, replaced the fusable link, and installed an alternator that I had tested before I had it put in and it still has not solved the issue, I have also installed a new battery that holds charge and new battery terminals.
Do you know if there is any switching in the alternator that communicates with the theft control computer??? I am thinking if there is a faulty connection maybe there is a circuit that switches off so that the batter does not over charge or with the theft control maybe it just shuts off till you initiate a certain sequence? Maybe it is faulty??? Any Ideas??? This problem is really a plauge, I have bought some insurance though I have an extra battery in the trunk. I guess I own a real hybrid???? Any Ideas.......??????
It is funny with this system that the charge indicator light or the check engine does not come on. Could any thing else be discharging the battery, I did notice a very large wire to the AC System Also when checking out the battery?????? Please reply direct as well [email protected]
Thanks,
Keith

This was a post written to another user. This may also be your charging issue.
OK, Im not there to see the car but here goes! Remove your battery and the tray under the battery. You will see where the ground cable bolts to the body on the side of the frame. Remove the bolt and inspect for rust or corrosion on the cable "eye" that the bolt goes through. If there is corrosion take a wire brush and clean it off. Clean the bolt also.And the frame area that it bolts to. Do the same on the engine block where the ground cable terminates. If the cable has a considerable amount of green corrosion or the cable looks bad enough, replace it. This is fairly common on the SC and it shows up in ways like you described. Leaky batteries are the most common cause. You may notice a lot of white stuff under that battery tray. Smile if you see this and think how simple it was to fix, and prevent. Always flush the battery tray and battery with water when cleaning the engine.

In addition:

Is the alternator charging when on the car? Can you remove the positive cable from the battery and the car still run? Do you know the amperage output of this alternator you installed?

The factory alternator will work very well if properly installed. I would suggest putting it back on. The charge circuit for your car is not affected by the TDS.

There is a "charge" fuse, 7.5amp , in the fuse box under the hood. Is that fuse good? Does it have 12v at the unfused, source side, of the socket?

Check the ECU-IG , 15amp fuse. and the 10 amp IGN fuse. Of course this is only applicable to the OEM alternator.