A farewell to my SC400 and a thanks to Lextreme!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Hello to all my old friends first off!!!

I am no longer am an active member on this forum as I just don't have the time anymore to post and read daily to be honest. No reflection on this wonderful website!!!!

I must say this website has brought me many years of joy, friendships and an abundance of Lexus Sc400 knowledge and understanding in past years.. THANK YOU FELLAS!!!

My history if anyone cares to read - Day one -

Went from a very stock and strong running 1992 SC400 that I bought from a Doctor with low miles. Ran like new as it was Dealer Maintained and babied.. Clean and slow as I enjoyed the quality of the ride at the time only..

After a few months I got beat racing stock older mustangs and struggled mightily off the line racing a bus practically..

Then I I FOUND LEXTREME on the internet..

Thank you Jesus :biggrin:

I thought a V8 engine and lets see what mods money can buy?.. So I went for it as I was making good money at the time..

1) I first started off with the intake upgrades which did nothing :mad:

2) Then I went for the expensive Dragon Torque converter change. That made a huge difference!!!! I said maybe this luxury car can move after all..

3) Then I got silly and went for the Nitrous package which included the tune management system, electric Walbro fuel pump, etc...Fully knowing the stock engine and internals could take the beef of a 100 shot of Nitrous Oxide now I couldn't stop.. The only problem is the stock tranny could not take anymore juice as I stepped up to 150 shot.. I went thru a couple of them before finally realizing to cool them off with a tranny cooler.. My bad!!!..

4) Then the lust for more N/A power got me upgrading the exhaust system from pipe to block.. Started with the straight thru mufflers (too loud), then the high flowing resonators to compensate and high flowing X middle cat.. The noise mellowed. Then the S&S Headers came and I made custom down pipes and installed the pair.. Topend flowed and made me smile.. All the exhaust upgrades really got this SC400 peppy just running N/A... I could finally spin the rears off the line on every launch which was a first..:)

5) Then I didn't have traction upgrade, 1st gear was all wheel spin and wheel hop.. 2nd gear was the same.. 3rd gear things started to settle down under the dry NOS system shots.. I then got the Supra Torsen LSD to try and ground her, no dice.. Still spun like crazy..

6) Then I got the Eibach lowering 2" suspension package and shocks.. Wow!! The car looked cooler and could handle a bit which was a first.. Still had a bit of wheel hop and not enough traction.. :mad: Then got the fat rear custom made rims and grippy tires next.. Car still spun in the first 2 gears like crazy under the full shot.. I then became very skilled at working this car to move fast in the end with timing of launch and button pushing.. It moved hard 0-60 and still could today..

7) Lastly were the looks - New interior and paint and they were very quality and expensive jobs.. This car was ready for show now in performance and looks no lie.. I would get called out alot when driving at the time to race mainly..

8) The stock braking now was dangerous in this car.. Went drilled and slotted rotors and the problem was solved over night.. Tried the Supra big brakes just for giggles and kicks and they were highly overrated and caused steering and clearance issues mostly.. The upgraded Brembo D/S rotors made all the difference even with the 2 piston stock calipers.. Too this day the car stops hard with those rotors..

That's the story of my 1992 SC400 and about 20 grand later in upgrades later over the years....

Today this car is still dent free and the leather is still very good condition, Paint is very good too, engine still purs, tranny is solid, and the nitrous system is still intact even though I don't use it anymore.. Still this car is peppy as crap for an SC400 with or without the Nitrous running, and it still looks good under the hood..

I am now selling for $2500. I can't get it threw smog anymore because of the headers and the upper cat deletes so the tags are expired.. It needs new shocks and tires as it sat for a while, Tires have good tread but they are slightly warped just a bit..So it does make a little road noise when driving from 10-40mph. The driver side door needs guts as nothing works, the window is up and frozen.. A/C has a leak and does not blow cold, the custom dash lights are blackened on the instrument cluster and they are almost completely blackened to go along with the climate control..

Other then that the car is still a good ride and I sometimes still get complements or a thumbs up today.. 200K miles..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With all that being said I just want to give a BIG HUGE SHOUT OUT TO DAVID (Lextreme) AND ALL THE BRILLIANT MODERATORS on this forum that gave me the courage to build up this SC of mine.. Thank you so much as it was fun !!!

Pictures from the past.. This is not an attempt to try and sell my car but more of a thank you thread to all over the years!!!

Attachments

• HPIM0758.jpg
    HPIM0758.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture%20104.jpg
    Picture%20104.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 84
  • HPIM0407b.JPG
    HPIM0407b.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM0806.JPG
    HPIM0806.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0796.JPG
    HPIM0796.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • HPIM0789.JPG
    HPIM0789.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0793.JPG
    HPIM0793.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0785b.jpg
    HPIM0785b.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0784.JPG
    HPIM0784.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 10
  • HPIM0757.JPG
    HPIM0757.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 13
More pics past and present..

Attachments

• HPIM0094.JPG
    HPIM0094.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture%20096.jpg
    Picture%20096.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5
  • HPIM0435b.JPG
    HPIM0435b.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture%20105.jpg
    Picture%20105.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture%20122.jpg
    Picture%20122.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 79
  • HPIM0180.JPG
    HPIM0180.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 3
  • HPIM0128a.JPG
    HPIM0128a.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture%20121.jpg
    Picture%20121.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 78
  • HPIM0446.jpg
    HPIM0446.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 79
So long John - it's been good having you here.

I'll always think of you as Mr. Nitrous as you're about the only one who's played with these systems on the street. It's amazing how much you hammered your 1UZ with that laughing gas, and it's still going.....

^^^^Thanks Cribbs..

You and Zuffen I had always thought were the nuts and bolts that kept this forum site so professional and going strong.. David too, but for information and technical support you two guys really knew and know your stuff and it shows!!!! You really helped me out in raising my automotive IQ that's for sure...

Cheers old pal :)

I hope life is treating you well these days....

Wow 150 dry shot? It's to bad I am a day late and a dollar short because I found the cure for the wheel hop which is a simple set of poly differential bushings.

Did you ever run her in the 1/4 mile on spray? I would be very interested in the results of that.

xspsi6 - The car was more of a sprinter then a quarter mile runner in all honesty. I'd say it moved well and made some noise 0-80.. I guess with the torque converter stall rate change combined with the Nitrous shot it just didn't hook up very well in the upper gears. Kinda died off in that 4 and 5th gear. First 3 gears were lightening in a bottle though..

Traction was always my biggest problems.. Sticky rears, Torsen LSD, worn Eibach suspension, and bushing change did help. 500 pounds of sand bags in the trunk did not help it only broke the car. (Can't believe I even tried that back in the day)

Anyways, I never got the car to a track and ran it for times.. Just raced alot of fast cars on open and empty streets. Raced it several times on a dedicated street racing district in Down town Los Angeles on those Friday nights.. Sorry no track times to claim..

Steve - I guess I am leaving the Lexus SC400/Soarer scene for good now. 15 years is long enough I suppose right?. Hey, but I will always have fond memories of just how durable and strong these early year 4.0 liter 1uz motors are!!! For the life of me I could not blow this little stout motor. Oh and tried too. It still purs and doesn't use oil today with 200k today. Truly one of the finest production made motors ever built in my opinion..

You still running your single turbo SC400 Steve?

XR8tt - I'll always pop in a look around from time to time just to see what you clowns are up too and what rides have been modified.. I do pop in every now and then but just don't post..

XR8tt, I also remember alot your helpful posts in the past.. Cheers and thanks bud!!! :)

PS - Don't hit a Kangaroo in the Outback while trying to break that sound barrier in your ride either :eek:

.... Steve - I guess I am leaving the Lexus SC400/Soarer scene for good now. 15 years is long enough I suppose right?. Hey, but I will always have fond memories of just how durable and strong these early year 4.0 liter 1uz motors are!!! For the life of me I could not blow this little stout motor. Oh and tried too. It still purs and doesn't use oil today with 200k today. Truly one of the finest production made motors ever built in my opinion..

You still running your single turbo SC400 Steve?....
I'm still running it and I love it. I'll probably keep it for another 10 years. :)

xspsi6 - The car was more of a sprinter then a quarter mile runner in all honesty. I'd say it moved well and made some noise 0-80.. I guess with the torque converter stall rate change combined with the Nitrous shot it just didn't hook up very well in the upper gears. Kinda died off in that 4 and 5th gear. First 3 gears were lightening in a bottle though..

Traction was always my biggest problems.. Sticky rears, Torsen LSD, worn Eibach suspension, and bushing change did help. 500 pounds of sand bags in the trunk did not help it only broke the car. (Can't believe I even tried that back in the day)

Anyways, I never got the car to a track and ran it for times.. Just raced alot of fast cars on open and empty streets. Raced it several times on a dedicated street racing district in Down town Los Angeles on those Friday nights.. Sorry no track times to claim..

I was just curious:) Did you change the rear diff bushings as well? This is the root cause of wheel hop which is why I had these made http://www.ebay.com/itm/220927752992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Lol @ sandbags in the trunk but I admire your dedication in getting it to hook!

I did change out the rear bushings twice.. The bushing set that worked was a poly bushing set but I forgot the maker.. It was a very bulky and soft bushing set from memory. I don't totally contribute the bushing change to ultimately eliminating all wheel hop for me, breaking in my Eibach lowering springs and shocks slowly over time ultimately got rid of all wheel hop..

I see that you're still very exciting talking about the 1UZ. What's your new toy, if you don't mind to share?

Probably a newer FJ Toyota Landcruiser for around 20 grand used. I think I'm done with the fast cars driving in LA.

Honestly, I've always been a big fan of the Toyota Landcruisers as I've owned and or drove just about every body type thru the years.. The FJ40's with the swapped in 350 push rod Chevy engines is what I started off on as a teen.. :cool: