'97 Sc400 4.0 1uz-fe engine misses on rh bank

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Davek

LEXUS SC400 misfires on 2,4,6 & 8. Seems like I checked everything. Well here are the facts. 1997 Sc400 v8 4.0 1uz-fe engine,

automatic trans. Timing belt failure, bent two valves on left hand bank. Went ahead and pulled the heads and had a valve job

done.The bottom end was really clean (no ridge at top of cyl). Cleaned everything up. put it all back together (by the

book).After it was totally reassembled, the engine started right up first try(cool, all appears good), no smoke, no funny

noises. Feeling pretty good at this time. Well the engine is idling poorly. I plugged in the hand held scanner, all values

are within range of charts in the lexus book, but the scanner shows misfires on just the right hand bank. OK the engine runs

poorly at lower rpms. if you take it for a drive, when you get to 2800 rpms the engine clears right up and will put you back

in your seat. Runs great at higher rpms. Seems to run better before it get to 154 degrees. Here's some things I've check to

be sure (or did because other people said it would take care of the problem). Check vsv's and vacuum hose routing, vacuum

tested appropriate devices and hoses. Good fuel pressure and fuel flow. Replaced fuel filter. Pulled fuel pump out and

tested/visually inspected. Triple checked timing belt alignment. Then had a diesel mechanic tell me to switch injectors over-

left bank to right bank..visa versa--. Also checked plugs and ignition wires.STILL MISSES ON 2,4,6,8..It starts missing on

one of the even cyls, usually #8 and then the other slowly start missing in no particular order. It doesn't matter if I clear

the memory or not. Engine normally stays at 189 degrees. One other thing to mention the temp gauge goes straight up (hot

plus) after a few minutes of running. The scanner show 189 degrees.

Hi davek,

i see that you have checked all the fuel and mechnical things, but what about all the electrical stuff.
you may have a issue with your coil, igniter for that side.
heat can do weird things to these, have you checked them out yet.

Dual TB's, Whiteline swapbars, 97 RZ Supra brakes, Airbag & controller

Attachments

• BlowerBracket6601sm650.jpg
    BlowerBracket6601sm650.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IntercoolerPiping6685sm.jpg
    IntercoolerPiping6685sm.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ThrottleBody6632sm650.jpg
    ThrottleBody6632sm650.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
  • eng2_page_598.jpg
    eng2_page_598.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4
I'll go ahead and recheck the wires & plugs. I did find that the temp. sensor for the dash tested bad, but that is for the dash only and is not tied into the ecm. Since the 2,4,6,8 (rh) bank works off both distibutors & coils, it puzzles me. I know at 2800 rpms plus it runs like a champ. Well I'll just keep checking maybe I'll get lucky.