92 1UZ limitations

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

james34

I have been looking around and i cant find a straight answer so my question is what are the limitations of the stock 1UZ rods and crank? the car is a 92 SC400 that my dad has and im going to talk him to rebuilding the engine soon. I already decided to use forged pistons so im just wondering how much power the rest of the bottem end can take. I heard that the stock 92 crank is a forged crank, is that true? plans for the motor will be forced induction, most likely a twin screw supercharger.
thanks
JHery

Mine has seen 400rwkw with totally stock internals....has been running over 300rwkw for over 4 years now including plenty of race track time.

Anything under 350rwkw i wouldn't even bother opening the engine up.

follow link for details.

The reason you cant get a straight answer is there is no such thing, there is no majic number that it can hold and it will blow a single hp later everyone has diffrent results, I would say justins motor is the example of the high end what an unopened 1uz can do, this is the result of quality fab work, maintance and tuneing,

Tuning has a magor part in it, if you talk to someone that has no concept of proper tuning they might clame the motor is junk and cant handle 300hp, but talk to someone that is a master at tuneing or payed someone that is good, and they got 500 out of it all day long.

Another thing to think about with rods, what kills rods is not how much boost or hp/tq its makeing its the rpm, the most stress on a rod is on the exhaust stroke leading into the intake, when the piston goes slack for a second the gets loaded again, this is many times the load of the fireing stroke, no matter how much power you make, but increasing the RPM increases this load expentally. If your makeing your power within or near the factory rpm there is a lot you can get out of the stock rods, now if you want to go to 9000-10,000rpm range the loads on the rods get really high really quick and aftermarket units become a must.

Im hopeing for the 450hp range with boost cams, and tuneing. witch is in line with justins current results.

and yes the crank is forged.

yeh i dont plan on spinning the motor that high, 7000 rpm is about the limit is what i want to do and i kno about how important tuning is on a motor with forced induction. so pretty much your saying that these motors stock could take a fair amount of punishment in stock form with proper tuning. thats good to hear cuz that keeps the cost down somewhat since im gunna do the forged pistons with stock crank and rods. thanks alot for the info
what do you guys use to tune your ecu?

How much boost/power are you aiming for? As per Justin's post, unless you want more than that at the wheels, just put some ARP head studs and MLS gaskets, then boost it :)