6 71 Blower

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Iggy

Hi all,
This is my first post on here, so I thought I would go in at the deep end.
I've got two projects on the go, the first is a Scimitar GTE, I have got a vvt engine for this car, it was originally fitted with a Ford Essex V6, the 1uz is about twice the power of the ford..... Should be lots of fun....
The second car (my baby) is a 1915 T bucket, this car is also going to be fitted with 1uz fe, she willl be supercharged, mainly for aesthetics but it might go down the strip, now and then.

From what I've seen on this forum, the gmc blowers aren't favoured by the members, I realise that height is an issue for some of you, but on a rod nothing looks better then a polished blower. The other bonus with the 1uz apart from its good looks are its similarity to a hemi, and just about everyone loves a hemi.....
So now knowing the setup on the T, I be will be after the earliest engine available, the pistons will be replaced with low compression items, I will get the cams profiled and probably have a look at making the intake.
Where I will struggle is with the ECU, I realise almost nothing can be done to the stock unit, but is there a piggy back that can cope with boost timing and fueling.
On he same subject, can a vvt engine be supercharged, I can't see why not, but then I couldn't see why it couldn't be fitted with ITB, I am a bit of a belt and braces guy, electronics frighten the life out of me, but I'll always have a go.

Iggy

No one has come up with a Piggy Back that can do anything meaningful long term with the UZ.

The Factory ECU relearns the engine so it keeps trying to revert to the factory tune.

You would have trouble replacing/replicating the AFM so the engine wouldn't know what was going on.

If you keep boost low enough (under 9psi) you could leave the engine unopened and run the stock compression ratio. A bypass valve would help as well.

As you live in the UK, the home of Megasquirt, I'd go that way.

Making your own manifold isn't all that hard and a 6/71 would look awesome.
If you made up alloy plates to replace the plastic plug covers it would look very Hemi.

No reason a VVT engine can't be blown but it will need new rods to do it.

Thanks for the help Zuffen, fortunately I have a wiring guru not that far from where I live, and of course Megasquirt would solve the untouchable ECU problem.

Being able to run boost @ 8psi on an engine with standard internals, is quite something, a testament on how good this engine really is, I have to ask, would that be on standard pump gas.
I do have a little experience with blowers, although never actually fitting one, I have done all the preparation, so I'm not going in blind, there are no shortcuts, money has to be spent, my intentions are to run at 5-8 psi, more then enough for an old twat like me.
I also like your idea on replacing the plug cover's, it will take it closer to the hemi look.
What I can't understand is its lack of popularity in the UK, I thinks It's an amazing engine, with loads of power on tap, and plenty more available.

Iggy

The early engines were over-engineered and have stout rods and slightly lower comp than later engines.

Biggest problem I see in a 6/71 is heat in the intake air,

The stock engine likes mid-strength fuel so I'd run the highest you can get/afford. Any insurance you can get by higher Octane is worth the few extra P per litre.

Contact Sudsy on this Forum, he does some fancy CNC work and had discussed the idea of Hemi type cam covers. They wouldn't be cheap but would look cool.

The engine isn't all that powerful or torquey compared to it's opposition but it is great value compared to Euro V8's.

Thanks again, I will give Sudsy a shout.
There is a kind of intercooler for the 6 71, its like a 2" or 4" spacer that is sandwiched in beween the intake and blower, how well it works I don't know, I haven't seen one being used in the UK.
It would be okay for my T, but for people with height restrictions it would definitely be a problem.

Iggs

Last edited:
Hiya Pauln,
I've worked in Corby from 89 until I fell ill about 8 years ago, a town that's always been good to me.
Strange, I'm speaking to a guy a few miles down the road, on a forum built half way around the world.....
What are you working on/building Paul....
Iggy

Last edited:
I was going to be putting a 1uze into a 1960 Standard Vanguard Vignale but I sold the Standard and bought a Humber Hawk with a Rover V8 instead. Long story but all about condition, time and a degenerating spine.
I also have a 1948 Standard 12 pickup (they never made one) made from scrap mostly.
The 1uze may go into the Hawk or a trike beckons, not decided yet.

Yes, its Chris, he has an old rod / humber that was called street addict, that's got a rover lump, he is building a humber gasser with a big block chevy and a blower, I think he has another that's getting a diesel to use as his daily, he also has a pop with a chopped roof and he might still have a modelY that I sold him.
He also works just about every God given hour to fund it all. However, if I ever need a bit of help or I'm in a bit of a jam, he is always the first and usually the only one that helps.
A good friend indeed.....