3UZ into Hilux

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

hiluxfan

I finally took the plunge and bought a 3UZ motor to do a conversion into my Hilux! :D

This will be a slow process as I am currently working out of my home country. I’ve done a lot of research and preparation. There is a lot more to do and Ill carry on with whatever I can over here.
I stripped all the ancillaries off so far and removed the cam covers and sump.
The one thing I noticed was that one side of the engine (at cylinder # 1) had a lot more gunk deposited inside the cam area. I read on the forum that this is quite normal and nothing to be concerned about.
I will also have to replace the seals in the cam cover around the sparkplug tube. However it looks to me like this cannot be done easily as they are kept in place by the steel baffle that is riveted to the cover. Any advice? :eek:

Of course I will also change all the usual suspect items.

We have a 3uz in a hilux here at the moment. Goes ok but I will make it better. I also have another one to go into my own truck. Must do that when I have a spare moment. Already had it running on the stand. Cheers

try this...

Hi Hiluxfan
When I got my rocker covers powder-coated i had to remove and replace the spark-plug seals just like you. What I did was used a power-file (like a small belt sander)(Black and Decker i think) to remove the top of the aluminum rivet flush with the baffle plate then carefully lifted the baffle using screwdrivers.
This will then let you replace the seals.
After you get the baffle off remove the gasket underneath and after cleaning and washing out the rocker covers multiple times and then drying you are ready to refit.
After replacing your spark-plug seals I put some gasket cement in the same places the where gasket was and refit the baffle.
Because the removal of the gasket allows the baffle to sit on to the pins a little further just use a hammer to flatten the top of the pins and this will grab the baffle plate.

Cheers Craig

Thanks Graig
I was thinking along the same lines, but only drilling and tapping the cover. I suppose your method will be easier.

I would love to find out more about my engine. Is there a site somewhere that you can referance the engine number?

Ok here it is!

It's not really as clean as I would have liked but it's the only one I could find at the time. You know how it goes: Once you've bought it you'll find 6 more, better ones for less money! :)

Attachments

• 13022013092.jpg
    13022013092.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 15
Hello everyone!
I started stripping the motor to rebuild. I haven’t decided yet if I’m going to take the heads off and redo them. I think I should as the one side has quite a lot of carbon build-up.
What brands are the best choices for a gasket set, belts, water pump etc? Obviously genuine Lexus, but I suspect that will be expensive.
Are there any brands to avoid?

Attachments

• 14022013136.jpg
    14022013136.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 14022013138.jpg
    14022013138.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 13