2000 GS400 want to twin turbo

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

frankjames

Is it easier to get the Japanese V8 twin turbo or to just add twins to my existing engine? What benefits/downfalls are there to either option? What all would I need to do to perform this upgrade, do I need to build my trans? New to the idea of twin turbo v8 but love power. Any suggestions welcome. Also don't want to spend 10g's. Or should I guy just get nitrous?

Frank
2000 Lexus GS400

Frank, first welcome to Lextreme. Second, which Japanese V8 twin turbo are you referring to? AFAIK, neither Toyota nor Lexus are building any UZ motors with twin turbos for their street cars?

Since you have a late model GS and you're in the US, you need to understand that extensive mods like this will affect the OBDII system, therefore anything you're thinking of doing will have to be for racing or offroad purposes only, right? You're not going to be able to pass an OBDII scan after mods like this, and for sure you won't be passing any stringent emissions testing.

Right... now that that's out of the way.... I honestly wouldn't attempt something like this if you're trying to do it on a tight budget. There are no bolt on kits yet for this, and if there were, they'd still probably cost in excess of $5-6K even with a sweetheart hookup. Then if you don't do your own labor, you're probably looking at another $3-5K or so to put it in. I don't know you or your background, so please don't take offense, but it's a lot more than just slapping a couple of turbos on the motor. In parts alone there's the turbos, the new exhaust manifolds, the intercooler(s), the BOV's the WG's, the boost controller, the piping, etc, etc.

Plus you're going to need a new set of injectors, a piggyback fuel controller, probably a wideband AFR system, a new set of fuel pump(s), and most likely a new exhaust system..... And yes, probably a high stall torque converter and a beefed up tranny. The A340E's from the older cars don't hold that much power, and although you probably have the newer A650E in your car, I doubt if it's that much stronger.

Honestly, if you just want some cheap power, for some occasional blasts out on the streets and freeways, consider putting nitrous on the car, with the associated mods needed for that. You can still pass OBDII and you can leave most everything else stock, other than needing some tweaks to the fuel system. I think you're in for a real money pit of a project, otherwise.....

i had found some twin turbo and supercharger kits used. Don't wanna do the install myself would love to find a qualified tech in my area. I thought the Toyota Aristo was available with a TT V8, I could be mistaken. What is OBDII??? I'm not worried about emmissions, WI has no test. I can't find many products available for my car and the ones I do are way overpriced........well I guess that is life, any other ideas on cheap HP, I have only put cold air intake

hi,, i thought i might chime in on this.. i am in the middle of doing a twin setup on a 98 gs400..
i will post some pics tomorow.. but i may as well talk about it a bit..
so far it has not been to bad.. the ac stays in place,,and truthfully,, it has been a straightforward install..
as a matter of fact,, i will try and post pics on how to do it yourself..
this car does have throtle by wire,, and keeping the factory ecu is important--unless you have tons of cash on alot of time..
this gs is using 2 gt35r--2 44mm tial wg--and 2 50mm tial bov.. and a specific intercooler
as you can already see,, buying quality componants, times 2= equals twice the expense..
but,, like i said before,,so far, it has been trouble free--almost easy..
the key in this case is the exhaust/turbo manifolds..
i think the pics will help me explain what i mean..
as far as how long it will take,, what you see in the pics has taken about 4 days--not very long when it comes to custom setups--but of course,, it is not done yet..
lastly,, because it has not gotten complicated yet,, i am very seriously considering selling a very reasonably pricedd kit for the gs400s.
stay tuned for pics and info..

Frank,

Search for the member "Morris". I'm not sure 1 r or 2 rs. He's successully running a turbo system on his GS400 and making around 500 hp daily. He's using stock headers and with the extented pipes to make the turbo manifold. It's a very interesting and cost effective design.

i had found some twin turbo and supercharger kits used. Don't wanna do the install myself would love to find a qualified tech in my area. I thought the Toyota Aristo was available with a TT V8, I could be mistaken. What is OBDII??? I'm not worried about emmissions, WI has no test. I can't find many products available for my car and the ones I do are way overpriced........well I guess that is life, any other ideas on cheap HP, I have only put cold air intake

Out here in japan, we have aristos with twin turbo 6 cylinder engines.....

...I thought the Toyota Aristo was available with a TT V8, I could be mistaken....
The aristo was available with a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo inline 6cyl
Im in the middle of a build for my single setup into my 1st gen gs300.
Im torn now though. I just bought my wife a gs430 and im addicted to the V8 power. Combine that with the thor-racing manual trans adapter and you would be in for a real treat.

Get Nitrous.

Unless you are going to do all the labor and fabrication by yourself it is unlikely you will get it done for under 10K.

You will also have to find a tranny solution if you are going to push more than 400hp or so.

On top of that I dont see the point in doing a twin setup unless you are going for real HP, ie 500+, that means a forged engine at a minimum.

To make it happen along other things you will need.

Tranny
forged rods
low compression forged pistons
Fuel system
custom piping
Intercooler
injectors
fuel management

Is it easier to get the Japanese V8 twin turbo or to just add twins to my existing engine? What benefits/downfalls are there to either option? What all would I need to do to perform this upgrade, do I need to build my trans? New to the idea of twin turbo v8 but love power. Any suggestions welcome. Also don't want to spend 10g's. Or should I guy just get nitrous?

Frank
2000 Lexus GS400