1UZFE Randomly Seized??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Julian01

Hey guys, my first post on here. I got a 1992 ls400 with 128k miles on the clock about a month ago and have been loving restoring it so far but right as I brought it to a custom exhaust shop (widely trusted) the car refused to start. Right after they had welded pipes and mocked up a muffler for me to hear they went to start it, and nothing, just a click as if your starter has gone out. Tried to start it a few times while I was waiting for the tow truck driver to bring it back to my house and a few times the starter made a loud grinding noise as if it was not fully engaging with the flywheel and just spinning on the edge of it.

Anyway, I thought it was the starter so I’ve taken the intake off and put a new starter in. Nothing. Thought it was the relay, so I tested that. Here’s where I went to try and turn the engine via the crank bolt and a breaker bar and I couldn’t budge it whatsoever. Appears as though the engine is completely seized.

I have tried:
-removing the new starter to eliminate the possibility that it was stuck on the flywheel.
-looking at the bottom of the flywheel for anything jammed against the teeth.
-looking into cylinders to check for water or anything abnormal in there, also sprayed a small amount of PB blaster in there hoping it might free a seized piston ring or something along those lines
-removing serpentine belt and checked that everything along it was freely spinning
-draining oil and checking for metal specs and whatnot (nothing at all, looks as it should about 500 miles after an oil change)
-rolling the car on the ground to make sure the trans wasn’t binding

Am I missing something?? Or should my next step be to remove the timing belt and check the cams? I feel like I can eliminate the possibility that the trans is the issue. There were absolutely no symptoms whatsoever of anything being off with the car beforehand, which is why I’m a little freaked out. Car hasn’t even been sitting, I was driving it to work daily about a week ago.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi Julian, certainly sounds like an interesting and challenging problem. Its hard to beleive that welding on the car exhaust could cause the engine to seize up. A long shot... If the transmission TC lockup solenoid was operated and the trans in Park, it might lockup the flywheel and might appear like a seized engine. I would disconnect the battery, pull all plugs out and then see if you can turn over the engine using a breaker bar on the crank bolt. Good luck