1UZFE/2UZFE into a 2nd Gen 4Runner (U.S.)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Webbie - I'm striking out on discovering the number of solenoids on the later model a340f. I'm sure I'll find out eventually, but I'm curious about your 2WD to 4WD conversion at this point. If it is more compatible with the 1UZ ECU, that will solve some potential headaches.

Was this essentially a bolt together conversion? Any machining required?

Do you have pictures of the tranny when you were swapping out these parts? Mainly what I'm looking for is some good size pics of the two output shafts, the tailhousing, and the t-case prior to joining it to the 2WD tranny. I want to see if the Marlin Crawler adapter to fit the gear drive cases will work wiith it.

I won't be getting a 1/2 cut, so what all is needed beyond the tranny/bellhousing/TC? I guess there is a wiring harness... anything else?

Thanks for all your help!

Cebby,

I'll have to be honest and say that I didnt do the swap myself as I had never torn down and auto before. I paid someone to do it, but it is simply changing the 2WD output shaft with the 4WD output shaft and bolting the t'case on. From mem, one hole needs to be tapped out, but other than that, it bolts straight up. It sounds simply when I say it like that, but the auto needs to be 75-80% disassembled to do that - hence the reason I paid someone.

I bought the half cut for simplicity. But, motor/trans and wiring harness/ECU(s) could end up being about the same price (I dont know what they are going for over there) but that would be all you need by the sounds of it.

OK, I'm finally underway. Ordered up a harness today. Still need an ECU, Engine, Trans (I am going to attempt the 2WD/4WD conversion), AFM, etc, etc.

One big question - I just read that the reason Toyota uses an iron block on the 2UZ is because if you dunk the 1UZ in water the block will crack. Any truth to this?

If it's true there must be a lot of Range Rovers out there with cracked blocks.

The Range Rover has always used an alloy block (in the petrol versions) and as the vehicle is a very capable 4x4 plenty must have had to swim a river or two in there life.

I think Toyota went CI on the 4.7 because it was going in a 4x4 and weight was not aproblem so they took the cheap route.

Webbie - do you know what the 4 solenoids do?

I figured 2 for shifting and 1 for TC lockup.... Am I on the right track? Do you know what the 4th is for?

Thanks Lambo - that was a good read. If I'm reading this right, here's my understanding:

Solenoid 1 and 2 = responsible for normal shifting operation. Handles 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. (1st gear - S1=on/S2=off, 2nd gear - S1 and S2 = on, 3rd gear - S1=off/S2=on)

Solenoid 3 = responsible for torque converter lockup (on/off)

Solenoid 4 = responsible for shift quality (controls hydraulic shift pressure for shifting and lockup)

OK with that said (hope my interpretation is correct), it seems the major difference between the 1UZFE tranny and the 4WD transmissions (a340h/f) is the addition of the 4th (shift quality) solenoid.

My question is, will an a340h/f transmission operate properly off of a 1UZFE ECU since there is no hookup for the 4th solenoid? (does this wiring expect a load or get feedback to the ECU?)

Does anyone know how many speed sensors are on the 1UZFE tranny?

I need to dig up the info I have on the a340f now - if memory serves, there are only 3 solenoids (no shift quality solenoid)

OK - found some of the info:

www.Off-Road.com said:
The A340E/A340F/A340H 4-Speed Automatic Overdrive Transmission
This is Toyotas ECT (Electronically Controlled Transmission) automatic. It is used in both 22RE (4wd) models and in the 3VZ-E and 22R-TE (both 2wd and 4wd)

1st 2.804, 2nd 1.531, 3rd 1.000, 4th 0.705 Reverse: 2.393.

The 4WD version (A340H) has a transfer case with low-range gearing of 2.659:1

Models designated A340F have (I think) the VF2A transfer case with a 2.566:1 low range

Someone who asked to be anonymous sent the following info:

The codes breakdown is as follows

A 340 H

A = automatic transmission
3 = 3 series
4 = 4 speed
0 = gear ratio / minor change
H = hydraulic transfer case (includes ECT)
F = mechanical transfer case (includes ECT)
E = Electronic Controlled Transmission (used on 2WD 4Runners, other 2WD Toyota vehicles)

This transmission uses 2 solenoids to control the shifting.

solenoid 1 solenoid 2
1 th = ON OFF
2 nd = ON ON
3 rd = OFF ON
4 th = OFF OFF

The throttle cable is used for line pressure, it can be disconnected and
the transmission will still shift normally.

But if youloose power to your 2 shift solenoid, you will be taking off in
OverDrive.

Seems a simple circuit could be made to convert the 1UZFE signal controlling the TC (Solenoid 3 in Lex tranny) to work with the 2 solenoid trannies. That document also states that the line pressure is controlled by the throttle cable and isn't needed for normal operation.

More info

hi Cebby, looks like the signals from various sensors may be nessary according to the engine control file, there is a little bit about it in here about speed sensors read the text section carefully
Regards
lambo

S4 is for pressure modulation, it is PWM at 330Hz with a varying duty cycle. Leaving it disconnected will make the shifts firmer at light/medium throttle, otherwise the tranny will work like normal.

The 1UZ PCM will know if it is not there, it measures the current through the solenoid (~4-6ohms) and will throw an error if it cant see this. U could possibly fool it by attaching a solenoid/load to the wiring harness.

What is a reasonable price for an auto tranny from a 93-94 LS400? I have a line on a motor and am looking for to get the tranny along with it. These are JDM units BTW.

I accomplished a swap using an ecu from an automatic, late model GM vehicle, by adding resistors into the circuits that would have had the solenoids.
The solenoids can be evaluated for their resistance, and substituted with these simple circuits as stated in the previous post.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the effect of disabling the 4th solenoid, I'll have to try that.

Can anyone ID what these ECU plugs are for?

I was able to match up the 3 plugs together on the left with plugs on the harness, but I didn't see one for the plug on the right (it's possibble that I missed it, but I doubt it). Is this for the tranny?